Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 03:29:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the deal with her having to tell me she "misses me" ?  (Read 866 times)
Husband321

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: February 24, 2018, 11:52:49 AM »

I have other threads. But my BPD wife left me 2 months ago,  then met another man in a week.

That relationship lasted 2 weeks.

Then she moved across the country to Colorado. Was always her "dream" of sorts to love there.  So I accepted that and moved on.

Then she starts calling and calling.  Telling me how she misses me. But is now in Arizona staying at a hotel.  :)oes not like Colorado now. And is now looking for a place in Arizona.

I don't understand why, she feels the need to always tell me this. Then she acted jealous asking if I have a girlfriend.  Yet is telling me she is looking for a place across the country anyway.  

Then she suggested I fly to see her.  I said no.  Then she said she wants to fly to see me.  

What is the deal with her having to tell me she "misses me" ?  Just to get a reaction?   Justto stay relevant?

tiki

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 12:27:10 PM »

I wonder if maybe they just always need someone.
Sunfl0wer
`

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 12:48:33 PM »

Feelings post break up can feel overwhelming.

Sometimes finding someone who cares for us to share our feelings with can make things feel somewhat tolerable.  

I sometimes miss stuff about my ex or other people who are no longer in my life.  Yet, it is my job to regulate and sit with my enotions.

I think persons with BPD are looking for immediate relief in the moment.
Relief from their current emotional state.
Escape from what they are experiencing.
Reaching out to you can be a distraction from current pain and sense of abandonment/failure. It may make them feel worthy or lovable to have someone be interested in them or sit with those feelings some.

I would not personalize this behavior too much as it is usually behavior “in the moment” vs behavior that is thoughtful about long term ramifications and dynamics.

For example... .
What stops me from reaching out to a person I miss that is no longer part of my life?  I don’t because I realize there is more to the interaction than my feelings.  There is also that persons feelings, where we have gotten this far without each other, how our lives have changed or evolved or not since then, and on and on.
What stops a person with BPD from reaching out? Well... .often their feelings override all logical reasoning an processing so... .  often they reach out when other people would have filters in place stopping them or have a more dynamic thought process to see the bigger picture.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
enlighten me

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:50:08 PM »

Its because she does miss you. PwBPD aren't all bad or complete liars. They react to their feelings not logic. You can be the greatest person in the world and will still get painted black by a pwBPD. The good side that you saw is as much a part of them as the bad. They live conflicted lives where one minute they want one thing and the next another.

They want you but then they don't as they want to do other things. Where we might fantasize about jumping on a plane and heading around the world we realise its just a dream and not practical. For a pwBPD this fantasy becomes a bit more. Its not a fantasy anymore, its what they need.

Theyre not stupid either. They realise when they had a good thing and do regret throwing it away. Normally when their new fantasy has fallen apart.

spero

*beep beep!*

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »

Hello there Husband321,

I'm no expert about BPD, but im really sorry to hear about the little you've posted here.
It must really heart breaking to have your wife leave you and yet call you up a while later and telling you that she misses you.
One might go, "If you'd miss me so much, why in the world did you leave in the first place." It may seem like she doesn't know what she wants, the thrill and excitement of something new has faded away and now she yearns for the familiar. 

I've not read your other threads and so i won't have the full picture of your entire situation. My assessment might not be as accurate until i've understood what transpired.

If I may, here goes... I am going to make the assumption that over time you have seen your partner display various symptoms and parameters of what defines BPD.

Excerpt
I have other threads. But my BPD wife left me 2 months ago,  then met another man in a week.

Then she starts calling and calling.  Telling me how she misses me. But is now in Arizona staying at a hotel.  Does not like Colorado now. And is now looking for a place in Arizona.

Your partner may be experiencing an episode of abandomnent. I quote this from psychology today "These fears of abandonment seem to be related to difficulties feeling emotionally connected to important persons when they are physically absent, leaving the individual with BPD feeling lost and perhaps worthless. Suicide threats and attempts may occur along with anger at perceived abandonment and disappointments."

Here is the citation to the full article https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/borderline-personality-disorder

I suppose since you've been separated from her, by her, your partner may be having difficulties dealing with absence of you in her life. That sense of absence is probably a result of the deep emptiness that people with BPD experience. A research study of individuals with BPD suggests that "Results indicate that emptiness is negligibly related to boredom, is closely related to feeling hopeless, lonely, and isolated, and is a robust predictor of depression and suicidal ideation (but not anxiety or suicide attempts). Findings are consistent with DSM-IV revisions regarding the 7th criterion for Borderline Personality Disorder. In addition, findings suggest that emptiness reflects pathologically low positive affect and significant psychiatric distress." Citation for quote (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18684053)

This emptiness and therefore the motivation to fill that emptiness is why she might be calling you. Unfortunately, this "emptiness" is almost like trying to pour water into a hole in the ground dug out of sand - It's simply impossible and almost futile. She might be reaching out to you as a way of having her identity and existence tied to you. Husband321, your partner may not miss you the way you think she is trying to come across, she may be missing the attention and care you provide, which is a source of "supply". This motivation however, might be subconscious to your partner and she may not be aware. The fear of abandonment, whether real or perceive to things which define her existence or a part of, will cause such situations to play out.

Excerpt
I don't understand why, she feels the need to always tell me this. Then she acted jealous asking if I have a girlfriend.  Yet is telling me she is looking for a place across the country anyway.

I cannot say this is true for every person with BPD, but my uBPDexGF objectified me toward the end of our final recycle. She was jealous that i was spending time with others and not her. I quote this from psychology today about BPD objectification "One of the primary psycho-social manifestations of the borderline style is the tendency to objectify others. Follow this: emotional dysregulation, by definition, demands a failure in the ability to understand and/or process emotionality; a failure in the ability to understand and/or process emotions suggests a failure in the ability to develop emotional connection; a lack of emotional connection leads to treating others as "things", not people. The borderline personality thus lives in a world populated by objects, rather than others - objects of love, objects of hate, objects of mirth, objects of rage - always objects, always extremes and never truly connected, whether violent or demure in style."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/enlightened-living/200906/blackwhite-interpersonal-relationships-and-borderline-behavior

The lack of healthy emotional development as the above quote states may be the reason why your wife is jealous... she may unforunately see you as something belonging to her. She needs to know that you're around and that still hers alone. The prospect of something which is "hers" becoming someone elses property of course creates jealousy. She wants you to be hers and hers alone, to be used and enjoyed at her disposal and pleasure and when she's bored of her object for the moment, she seems something new to make her feel "alive". Think of this as a child with a toy, when children are a certain age, their world view and reference is ... ."this is my toy, you can't have this. I'm not gonna share it with other kids. When some other kid has is seen with their favourite toy, the child gets jealous and makes an attempt to snatch it back." I'm not here to put down individuals with BPD but rather try to explain the psyche of how they may think.

There is infact someone on this forum who spoke from her view point as a person with BPD on objectification ... which you can read more here

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=87006.0

Excerpt
Then she suggested I fly to see her.  I said no.  Then she said she wants to fly to see me. 

What is the deal with her having to tell me she "misses me" ?  Just to get a reaction?   Justto stay relevant?

She may want to see you for the above mentioned motivations, to remind her of herself as she sees you ( being part of her identity ). The potential fear of losing you which in turn becomes for her losing a part of her self becomes a very strong driving force in reinforcing her own identity and sense of self. She will do... .whatever it takes to get the back, so if you don't comply, she would just do the opposite and come back to you.  Its unfortunately playing out to be another push pull... recycle of sorts.

Hope this helps, Husband321

Spero.
zeus123

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 01:29:21 PM »

Because she wants to hurt you more. She is an emotional vampire.
enlighten me

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »

Because she wants to hurt you more. She is an emotional vampire.

This isn't the case with BPD unless they feel you've wronged them then they want to hurt you back. ASPD will hurt you for the fun of it and to an extent NPD will.

Husband321

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 02:09:40 PM »

Yes.  And in  a way it just comes off as almost rude.  

"Well I miss you so much but I am now moving to a state is 3000 miles away that has become my third option where I do not know anyone"

Then she just says she wishes she wasn't a vagabond, but doesn't know how to change. As her mom always left, her dad was always moving etc.

It also seems like they almost have a psychic ability to know to contact you the day you finally forget them and move on.

Husband321

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 05:16:40 PM »

Just an update... .

She moved to Arizona and now has a 24 yr old boyfriend.

She successfully broke up the marriage of her ex husband and is there now visiting her kids.  She was texting him nude selfies.  The ex husband who she blocked for a year and vowed to hate forever.  And vowed to never contact as she could call her kids directly.

Last week she was calling to say she misses me... .

I swear they have so many things going on at once, and without communication between exes nobody would ever know.

It's all almost a joke. 
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest