Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 05:14:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New here: thanks for the welcome, step Mom here to learn, heal and love  (Read 612 times)
Confusedstepmom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: March 11, 2018, 02:18:29 PM »

I am a step mom to an adult step son who displays BO and NP traits.  I’m just looking to learn, hurt less and be more loving.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »

Hi Confusedstepmom

Hi!

Welcome to the community, I'm glad you've joined us here to learn with us and for support. We are a friendly bunch  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Is your stepson living you at home with you? Take your good time to share with us, how we can help, we are listening, you are not alone.

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Confusedstepmom

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 09:10:04 PM »

Hi Wendydarling,
No my stepson does not live with me. He is married. He is currently on a narcotic for pain and so his behavior is deteriorating. His wife, who we love, is thinking about filming his behavior to show him when he is in a good mood.  I’m not sure that’s a good idea. During our more recent get togethers he has become more vocal about things that happened when he lived with us from the time he was 10 to 17.  During that time he was diagnosed with borderline personality while we were in counseling. We didn’t understand what that meant and didn’t take any action because the counselor said we were wasting our money.  Fast forward thru periods of no contact and periods of short term contact until about 10 years ago when he married. We developed a pretty good relationship with all things considered. He is smart but no one knows more than him. He is smarter than his bosses and has lost jobs due to his verbal displeasure with former bosses. Recently he began using hydrocodone for back pain and his behavior is deteriorating.
Confusedstepmom

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 09:21:51 PM »

Page 2. He has become critical of me and things I did or said 30 years ago.  He is also claiming my husband can’t sell any of our belongings without checking with him first to see if he wants the item first.  This was also a problem when he lived with us. He felt anything in the House was his. 

What I want from this board and community is to determine what, if anything, we can do to 1) get him off the drugs  2) understand what questions to ask my dil to determine if she or he are in any danger and 3) figure out how to interact with him. It is obvious that after our last dinner together that he knows we are not happy with him. His reach out to us has dropped to no contact and I have not reached out to him at all. My husband is just tired of trying to deal with him.
wendydarling
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 12:08:47 AM »

Hi Confusedstepmom

I'm going to go straight to your Q no 2 you want to determine if your DIL or stepson are in any danger, what kind of danger, what's concerning you?

WDx

Confusedstepmom

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 07:10:49 AM »

I’m concerned about the Suicide factor for SS and abuse for DIL. I personally have not heard indicators of either but I could be the last to hear about these. I want to ask in a way that doesn’t create an issue that doesn’t exist... .if that makes sense. 
wendydarling
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 09:31:45 AM »

Hi Confusedstepmom

That's a difficult situation, I'm so sorry and I can understand your concern, you are right we can be the last to hear. You are close to your DIL she's asked your opinion about filming of behaviour, perhaps you can lovingly reassure her you are there for her and SS, if she has any concerns you are there to listen and support them? What do you think?

How do you get him off the drugs, I think only your SS can if he recognises a connection, have DIL and he discussed?

Feeling Better

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 10:25:46 AM »

Hi Confusedstepmom,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time at the moment with your SS and DIL. I understand the concerns that you have, it certainly must be a worry for you.

I would imagine it would be tricky to ask your DIL whether she or your SS are in danger, you don’t want to say anything that might potentially make things worse. I think the most prudent thing to do would be to try and maintain contact and reassure them that you are there for them. Like wendydarling says, provide a listening ear and support if needed.

I don’t know about SS’s drugs - does he not need them for pain relief? Please correct me if I’ve misunderstood.

There are lots of tools and resources to the right  Bullet: important point (click to insert in post) that you can use to help you improve the ways in which you interact with your SS.

Please let us know how things are progressing x

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading ~ Lao Tzu
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest