Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 08:25:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghosts of my own disorders  (Read 713 times)
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 08:08:14 PM »

Thank you Mustbe,

I pray for you too.

Redeemed

We are more than just our stories.
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 08:21:03 PM »

Be extra kind to yourself.  I hope you can reflect on things you can say when it comes time to spread her ashes.

I hope those memories bring smiles even if there are tears as well.

FF

I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 09:29:30 PM »

Thanks FF,

I was trying to figure out how to answer your question about ranking things. I didn't know where to put anything on the list because they all have significant impact on the future and are bound by their own time constraints.

Today I was fortunate to be able to set aside schoolwork and work to spend what were literally some of my mother's last hours with her. I am glad that I got one last chance to make her a priority because I have failed to do so many times in the past.

I am also fortunate to have managers who are understanding and compassionate. I have taken the next day or two off with the option to take more as needed. I know I need time to process and I am still in the "shock" stage right now. Even when someone has a terminal illness, the end is never really expected to come when it does.

I remember when my father was first admitted to the nursing home after a prolonged hospital stay. The dementia and other health issues had caused him to need round the clock care. My mother followed about two months later, and she told me the story of their reunion in the nursing home. They spotted each other down the hall and rolled their wheelchairs towards each other as fast as they could. I imagined a scene from a movie where the two lovers run towards each other in slow motion, in a meadow, with flowers and butterflies and arms outstretched- except this was real life, and they were rolling wheelchairs towards each other in a nursing home. Still, the feelings of love were there.

I can't help but think that maybe their reunion today was like that- except this time they could run towards each other freely and without the physical limitations of failing, aging bodies.

Love you Mom and Dad.

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2018, 09:37:27 PM »

Redeemed, I am so sorry for your loss, but so glad to hear that you were able to be with your mother in her final hours.  Thank you for sharing that touching story of your parents' reunion in the nursing home.  That indeed sounds like a great moment, and as you said, they are reunited without wheelchairs now.

Take care,

Wentworth
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support.

I called my mother-in-law last night and told her. UBPDh will probably not be calling until Thursday so he doesn't know about mom yet. I asked MIL to tell him if he calls.

The irony is not lost on me that uBPDh has been incarcerated during both my father's passing and now my mother's. His behavior really has caused so much disruption in our lives. My sisters both have supportive husbands who are standing by them during this difficult time, and I can't help but make a comparison.

Maybe I am just sad and feeling reflective and a little lonely. It is a strange thing to have both parents deceased. It makes me want to hug all my children tight and cherish the moments I have with them.

Thank you guys for being here, because I really do feel alone and then I remember that I have this community to go to. It's comforting to know you are all here. Thank you.

Redeemed

formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2018, 09:39:29 AM »

I have had similar thoughts and perspective changes since my Dad passed away in December.  My Dad was the family patriarch and that has now passed to me.  I was involved in farming and other family business things, yet everyone knew that Dad had final say, even if he let you make certain decisions ... .even making those alone and telling him later.

That all stops with me now. 

I also sort of look at my kids differently.

There is a change in my relationship with my uBPD wife... .that is still evolving.  Perhaps it is best expressed by saying that I understand the importance of time... .what I spend my time on and MOST IMPORTANTLY what I don't spend time on.

To try and be succinct, my wife has become much more conservative and judgmental (and of course hypocritical) in her Christian life.  I made what I feel was a good faith attempt to understand her point of view and that portion of the Christian community.  Nothing really wrong with that community, but through in BPDish stuff... .and shifting goalposts... .and hypocrisy... .

Well... .I don't have time for it.

I still worship, in fact I think my relationship with God and my faith is better.  My wife can do her thing... and I'll do mine.

So... .IAR, to circle around to your immediate thoughts and feelings.  I wonder if you spent some time reflecting about how you spend your time and energy with respect to your kids and how you spend your time and energy with respect to the BPDish parts of your hubby and your relationship with him.

Knowing what you know now and feeling what you feel now about time and wanting to hug your children closer... .how might that impact decisions you make about how you spend your time.

FF

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2018, 06:05:00 PM »

I can very much identify with having a spouse who is unavailable to support us during a parent's passing, due to his or her abuse against us.  It is a life milestone, one of those "for worse" parts of "for better or for worse," and they are a no-show.  Upon the passing of a member of the older generation, particularly a parent, I also have had the similar reflections to formflier about time -- how to spend the time we have left, and who to spend it with.

WW
Mustbeabetterway

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2018, 07:55:58 PM »

Hi I am Redeemed,

I’m so glad that you are able to take a little time off.  I know you need it.  I prayed for you today.  You can get through this difficult time.  It sounds like you are getting more clarity. 

Let me echo what the others are saying.  Time is precious.  Now that I am separated from my UBPDH, I have spent more time with other members of my family.  I do love my husband, but as you say disruptive behavior can keep us from using our time wisely, and getting our own needs met.

I’m glad you are posting and finding support here. 

Peace and blessings,  Mustbe
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2018, 10:37:17 PM »

disruptive behavior can keep us from using our time wisely, and getting our own needs met.

Upon the passing of a member of the older generation, particularly a parent, I also have had the similar reflections to formflier about time -- how to spend the time we have left, and who to spend it with.

So... .IAR, to circle around to your immediate thoughts and feelings.  I wonder if you spent some time reflecting about how you spend your time and energy with respect to your kids and how you spend your time and energy with respect to the BPDish parts of your hubby and your relationship with him.

Knowing what you know now and feeling what you feel now about time and wanting to hug your children closer... .how might that impact decisions you make about how you spend your time.

Thank you all for your support. FF, to answer your question, yes I have. It has surfaced some very uncomfortable feelings which I am struggling to deal with on top of the grief I feel.

I could list many instances where the behavior of my husband directly caused me to neglect my family. Now, mind you, my dad was also very adept at using FOG tactics, so many times I felt like a fish being pulled apart by two seagulls, but I know without a doubt that I would have taken much different actions in certain situations had it not been for the chaos and craziness of BPD behavior.

Just a snapshot... .my father was in the hospital in the spring of 2014. This was directly before he was placed in the nursing home. Mother was alone at the house and could not walk on her own. The home health care people said it was a hazard for her to be in the house alone (in case of fire, etc.) and needed someone to stay with her because her Medicare only paid for so many hours in a day, etc., etc.

Long story short, I intended to stay with my mother until Dad got out of the hospital, but one of those nights happened to fall on my first wedding anniversary. We had already arranged for childcare before the Mom thing came up, and basically uBPDh acted like an immature child using every BPD tactic you can think of to get his way, which was us leaving Mom alone in the house overnight and going to do what he wanted to do.

Never mind that it was MY anniversary too, or that my mother really needed me. He could not stand for anyone else to come before him and what he wanted.

I would do all of that so differently if I could. Regrets... .I've had a few... .thousand... .

I also am feeling an increased surge of guilt because I believe I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong with uBPDh and get him the proper treatment to make him "better" so our older children could come home. Five years later... .he's still at square one, as if he never went to therapy, anger management, outpatient drug treatment, AA meetings... .you name it. Nothing took effect. Nothing. He never made any progress and I spun my wheels holding out hope while the years passed and my children now call my sister "mom".

Incidentally, she picked just absolutely precisely the most optimal time ever in the whole world (does the sarcasm show a bit) to ask me what my intentions are regarding visitation with my children. She wanted to know if I was going to seek to regain custody eventually, and she basically told me that my kids have bonded with her since she has had the little ones for most of their lives, and also told me that D9 would also not want to come live with me again because she tells my sister that she wants to "live with her forever."
Then she told me that D10 and D4 would probably be ok with coming back to live with me because (and I quote) "they'll just go to anybody. D4 would leave with a stranger."

She said all this while we were LITERALLY standing at my mother's deathbed.

And now I am second guessing myself, because that's what I do (especially as a survivor of verbal abuse) and wondering if maybe I should just let go of the idea that my kids will ever come home to me.

I refrained from reacting in the sarcastic and vehement manner that I felt inside. What I wanted to say was "are you SERIOUS, they're my CHILDREN FOR GOD'S SAKE!" but what I said was (truthfully) that I can not financially afford to have six kids right now in my current situation, but I would like to start with the overnight visits once I find a house large enough that will satisfy the court and work from there. Eventually I said possibly I would seek a joint-custody arrangement. I know that they are well provided for and they have absolutely bonded to my sister, so I would never want to take them completely away. There are kids who go back and forth between parents, so a family custody arrangement between mother and guardian would probably be similar.

Then she told me that wouldn't work. She claims some of my children would not "do well", meaning they would have relapses in behavior problems.

She refuses to believe that any behavior or emotional problems my children have could be caused by their early and abrupt separation from me. Nor does she see how she has alienated them in some ways from me and pretty much tried to replace me as their mother. They call her mom (she taught them to do that) and they call me by my first name (also her doing.)

SO... .it boils down to this. If I had put my kids first, and not wasted so much time trying to "help" uBPDh, I might not have such a big challenge facing me regarding my kids.

I didn't know, though. I did not understand the magnitude of the issues my h has. I did not understand the complexity of his disorders, behavior, symptoms or prognosis for recovery.

I can only go forward, I cannot go back. And if there's one thing to take away from my mother's passing, it's this: I will never give up pursuing a relationship with my kids.

My mother was not there for me growing up. Physically, yes, but she did not function as my mother in any capacity. Her battles with depression resulted in a suicide attempt when I was 2. The severity of the suicide attempt caused a stroke which left her partially paralyzed for the rest of her life, and also caused some mental damage.

In other words, my mother was never the same. And we never had a traditional mother-daughter relationship. But, from my own experience with mental illness, I have come to realize that it wasn't her fault or mine. It is what it is. But it has taught me that I want to fight even harder for my kids, and I do not want to be defined or ruled by the disorders with which I have been diagnosed. And neither will I be ruled by someone else's.

My children will know, no matter if I ever get custody of them back or not, that I love them and I will never give up on them.

Or myself.

Thanks again to you all for your kind words. It means so much to me that you are here.

Blessings and peace,

Redeemed

Radcliff
Retired Staff

Fond memories, fella.

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2018, 10:54:57 PM »

Redeemed,

I am so sorry for your regrets.  I can relate.  You are right that we can only move forward.

Your children are your children.  Sure, they will cling to the safe bond they have now, that is natural.  But do not be too accommodating of your sister.  It is wonderful that she has taken them in, that is something to be grateful for.  But as you become more able to care for them and spend time with them, she should recognize that.  As you say, you are their mother.  Your plan to get your life more stable, and more ready for time with them, is a good one.  Keep at it.  Don't doubt yourself.  When they are adults, they will realize that you were always improving, always working to be closer to them, to do what's best for them.  This is in stark contrast to parents who don't work to be close, who drift away over time.  You are telling them that they are valuable.  You are headed in the right direction, against headwinds.  Keep going!

WW
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2018, 08:13:50 PM »

Isaiah 49:25 "Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken, and the prey of the tyrant be rescued; for I will contend with those who contend with you, and I will save your children."

I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2018, 08:18:51 PM »

And I found this verse written down at the top of the page in one of Mom's crossword puzzle books (she always had a book she was working in while she watched her preacher shows on TBN):

Romans 8:15 "For you did not receive a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God's Spirit when He adopted you as His own children. Now we call Him 'Abba, Father.'"

It was God's way of reminding me that I am not left as an orphan. I have a heavenly Father who watches over me, just as He watched over my mother and brought her home.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest