Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 05:23:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It wasn't even an offer for interim  (Read 403 times)
toomanydogs

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Living Apart

« on: April 16, 2018, 06:53:46 PM »

You know, I'm not a young woman. I thought all my learning was behind me. Basically, at any rate. I also thought I'd stopped being naive. But, no, that's an issue, too.

It's been a rough day because I'm emotionally exhausted; however, I needed to let my lawyer know about what I perceive as a conflict of interest, so... .

I got all my emotions under control and wrote a cogent email regarding the conflict and reiterating that I needed more for interim than they were offering. Specifically, I needed money to pay my credit card and personal loans. Essentially, I counter offered.

So... .I then find out that the Trust was not offering me "interim," what they were offering is money for April and money for May. No backdating. And no going forward past May.

I am so tired of these people.

My L told me via email that if I went to court next week, the hearing officer would probably not give me more than what the Trust was offering. No backdating. It would be just to get money moving. However, when I was pushing my L, I then said, but the the court would give me interim, not just money for April and then money for May. My lawyer agreed.

So then the trust attorney called my lawyer (and I'm sorry I know this is pretty confusing, or as I said to my L, this is a cluster f***.) and said that the Trust was willing to reimburse my credit card for any money I spent on the property. I just need to go through it and submit it to them.

So in other words, the trust administered by my former in-laws don't care whether I live or die, as long as they're taking care of the "property."

I told my lawyer, no. I told her my STBX abandoned me, and that the money on those credit cards was for food, animal care, laundry soap, etc., etc., etc. I told her after I go to that hearing date, then I'll submit the credit card crap to them. And I reiterated that I didn't think the Court would be too keen on my being on food stamps when my STBX has soo much money. And I was completely cut off.

Sorry. I'm just so tired of this. I will keep my court date, and as I told my lawyer if my STBX doesn't want to go to court or if the Trust doesn't want to go to court then make it worth my while.

If the court gives me what the Trust is offering it will be interim, meaning it will continue after May, so I'm still further ahead going to court.

Why in the hell did I ever marry into such a f***ed up family?

TMD

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world... Einstein
Speck

Relationship status: Divorced since Mar 2018

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 11:49:07 PM »

TMD:

Why in the hell did I ever marry into such a f***ed up family?

That is the $1,000,000 question.

I'm so sorry you are having such a crappy court experience. It sounds dreadful. When do you expect for things to finally wrap up?

-Speck
toomanydogs

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 08:14:53 AM »

TMD:

When do you expect for things to finally wrap up?

-Speck
Hi Speck,
  I have no idea. My STBX left mid-August, filed for divorce the end of August, and we're only now moving towards interim. I had savings and high credit limits on my cards, so I was able to sustain not having money coming in since November. Not now.
  My FIL is first and foremost a businessman. He is accustomed to money not people not emotional connections. So what he needed to do first was weaken me, and what better way to weaken me than cut off all money. He emailed me in November saying that he was instructing the CPA to pay all household expenses and it would make my life "easier." Haha.
  Right after that email, he informed the CPA not to have any contact with me and not to release any money directly to me.
  I have spent the last 11 years taking care of my STBX; he is low-functioning. I haven't been working; I've been living on shared income. So when my FIL informed the CPA not to give me anything, it meant I had absolutely no money coming in. I've since gotten early Social Security and food stamps.
  Then my FIL apparently stopped paying any household expenses. I got a disconnect notice on the electric bill. I'm on a well, meaning without electricity, I'd lose my well and have no water. Either FIL thought better of it, or his lawyers advised against it, because the electric bill got paid, and I still have water. Yay for me.
  Then I lost my trash service because the bill wasn't paid. I had manure piling up and a garbage bin with two dead squirrels infested with maggots.
  Two days ago, my L told me that my FIL (through the Trust) was offering me interim, back dated three months, which will enable me to pay back personal loans and get my credit cards more manageable. "In exchange" for that interim, my FIL asked for my cooperation in getting household bills put in the trust's name.
  Even as I write this two days later, I am so frustrated. First, because interim should not be contingent on my doing anything. Interim should be granted because there is an obligation for my STBX not to abandon me financially. (Vice versa. Had he been living on my income, he would have an expectation that I not walk out on him financially.)
 The other reason the request that I put household bills in the name of the Trust makes me crazy is that we have three household bills: Electric (in my STBX's name, I can't change it.) Gas, likewise in my STBX's name), and trash. The trash had been in my STBX's name, and now somehow it is in mine. Go figure. So there are NO bills that I can put in the Trust's name, unless they're thinking my internet should be paid by the Trust, and that will be a huge red flag for me because of all I do on the computer. I'm not putting them in charge because they could then access my network.
  I am working with my therapist and given all that I'm going through right now, I'm doing pretty well. I am on Xanax, very small dose to help me sleep, and I'm simply trying to keep my emotional strength up, because I've had to fight this hard just for interim.
  My L has told me that FIL and the lawyers for FIL and STBX want to get this settled. My question to her was then why in the hell didn't they make interim a bit easier?
  She had told me to focus on settlement, and I told her that without having money coming in to pay for meds, food, and all the rest, I couldn't even think straight. That's when she went back to FIL's lawyers, and now I should be getting interim. Soon. At least before the end of next week, which is the court hearing for interim.
  Now I also understand that they want a quick settlement before my STBX has to have a competency hearing and get a guardian appointed.
  As I said, this is a clusterf***. And I need to stay focused enough to ensure that the settlement is fair to me
  Sorry I went on like this. It helps for me to write all this down.
Have a great weekend,
TMD

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world... Einstein
Speck

Relationship status: Divorced since Mar 2018

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 02:42:01 PM »

Holy crap, TMD!

You're currently going through quite a long slog of utter horse poop. I'm sorry.

I'm glad it helps to sort your thoughts to write all this out. Sorry to have taken so long in replying.

I hope this all shakes out the best way possible for you (and all your dogs). 

-Speck
toomanydogs

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 08:11:51 AM »

Holy crap, TMD!

You're currently going through quite a long slog of utter horse poop. I'm sorry.

I'm glad it helps to sort your thoughts to write all this out. Sorry to have taken so long in replying.

I hope this all shakes out the best way possible for you (and all your dogs). 

-Speck
Hi Speck,
 On another thread, I bring everyone up to date on my getting interim and arrearages for interim, neither of which was as much as I'd requested, but the amounts were reasonable. And that's seriously what I need: a reasonable offer.
Interim has given me a bit of confidence moving forward for two reasons:
1) I have seen firsthand how they'll approach negotiations. And their approach will be brutal. For interim, they cut me off financially for technically 8 months. And I was able to hang on pretty solidly for 5 months. So I'm trying to look around every corner to figure out what they might pull during settlement negotiations. I feel fairly prepared.
2) I have also seen firsthand that if I have an idea of what I'm willing to get as opposed to what I'm requesting, I know how to hold on, be insistent. I am also willing--and have been willing from the start--to go to court if necessary. Settlement if my preference, but if STBX, his lawyers, and father do not come up with an offer that will take care of me for the rest of my life (I'm in my 60s, retirement age), I am prepared to go to court. I know what I'm willing to accept financially, so that's good, and with interim coming in, I can once again think straight.
Happy Saturday!
TMD

zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 08:40:16 AM »

You inspire me on the wonderful example you are setting on how to hold out for what is rightfully yours by going to court. Clearly, your husband's lawyer is hoping you will settle out of court and agree to much less than you are entitled to which will hurt you emotionally and financially for years to come. The bullying by your husband's lawyer is torture and painful, yet  you have the strength to do what you have to do. Your biggest challenge may be to be in your best place emotionally from day to day while you are under siege. No need to apologize for the long posts, as there is so much that you want to say. Coming to a place like this, there are many people who will listen to you who have had to endure similar court battles with a spouse that is looking for revenge instead of a peaceful resolution to a marriage that is no longer working out. Keep us posted on what is going on and we are here to listen anytime.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest