Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 11:58:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD wife dysregulating badly after attempt to set boundaries  (Read 363 times)
cx4nt

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 23, 2018, 12:55:13 PM »

My BPD wife has been in counseling for almost 2 years, and I have attended with her on occasion. Problem is I believe she is either misdiagnosed or underdiagonsed by her therapist (she hasn't given him permission or he is just refusing to give me any diagnosis).  So now, as I have educated myself and begun to understand what I am dealing with, I made the conscious decision with the help of my personal therapist to begin setting some boundaries.  This was met with extreme dysregulating which is going on as we speak. I made the mistake of mentioning BPD in one of our discussions, and now she is fixated on me playing psychiatrist and the unprofessionalism of my doctor for even suggesting a diagnosis.  Regardless of that error, I do feel like I am moving the needle by standing up for myself which she interprets as me being a jerk. Yes, I've not always displayed perfect empathy and love, but feel like anything other than giving in to her rants or delusions about how me or my family has wounded her would be interpreted as me being hostile or snarky.  Am I wrong to see this as progress as she has nowhere to go with her need to inflict/deflect perceived pain? She wants me to go again with her to her therapist and start marriage counseling -- good sign or desperate attempt to regain control of my emotions?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

cx4nt

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 01:10:31 PM »

Just clarify as I learn some of the terminology -- I guess what I am really practicing is extinction, which she is reacting to intensely.  But where do you draw the line between empathy and enabling?
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 01:45:02 PM »

can you tell us more about the boundaries you tried to set/proposed, and how the conversation went down?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
cx4nt

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »

Just clarify as I learn some of the terminology -- I guess what I am really practicing is extinction, which she is reacting to intensely.  But where do you draw the line between empathy and enabling?

I'm really trying not to "take the bait" with taunts, overblown perceptions of hurt (usually coming from one of my teenage children or extended family) She blindsides me with these during work or when I get home and am exhausted. I'm accused of not caring about her feelings because I don't buy in to the dram. She's cried wolf so many times with imagined "wrongs" that I can't decipher the legit ones from the fake ones.  End result, I'm an insensitive jerk.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 05:12:03 PM »

im not sure it will help to see your wife as crying wolf. thats a sign of a breakdown in your trust of her.

generally speaking, her concerns are all very real to her, and/or they are overexpressed and over the top, but still very real for her.

largely, our partners need a little extra hand holding, and what tends to satisfy the most is listening with empathy (https://bpdfamily.com/content/listen-with-empathy) and making them feel heard, that there concerns matter to us, as opposed to shutting them out or dismissing them, which breaks things down on both sides.

is it a good sign that your wife wants to start marriage counseling? yes and no. its a good sign that she wants to make it work and get on the same page. its also an indication that she feels thats not the case, and does not feel heard.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:47:18 AM »

Hi cx4nt,

TO make sure I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you are trying to detach yourself from your W's emotions correct? So when she comes to you with something dramatic, it sounds like you might be dismissing her feelings.

I'd like to second what once removed has said about listening with empathy. It's easy for us to get frustrated, tired, and annoyed at listening to the next big emotion that our pwBPD has. It's important that we listen though. I"ve learned that I don't have to accept the reality of my H's feelings, but I do have to acknowledge them, show him I care and am listening, and usually that helps him process the emotions better. What do you think you could do to show her that even if you disagree with her that you validate her feelings?

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest