Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 01:58:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what was the turning point that got your partner to accept their condition  (Read 365 times)
DogMan75

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Living Separately

« on: June 03, 2018, 03:37:35 AM »

After years of trying, I had to call it quits in November. I still love her and she’s asked about reconciliation many times, but still denies her textbook BPD (though has done DBT for about a year now).

I know I did everything I could from my end before, so unless her end of the equation changes, I can’t see anything turning out any differently. As she continues to deny the fundamental root of our problems, nothing has changed.

I know denial of BPD is extremely common: what was the turning point that got your partner to accept their condition?

Don’t alter my signature.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

pearlsw

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 12:21:11 PM »

Hi DogMan75,

Good question! I would expect a big range of answers!

In my case my SO accepts and then takes it all back. So, that is to be expected I guess. In some ways, with time, I've started to wonder if it's almost unfair of me to expect that he accept my version of reality, or my vision of anything.  Whatever he has plays real havoc with his brain and being able to remain constant or consistent. It is painful, but that is just part of the package.

I get not wanting to do it, I do. You found your limit with this stuff.

Would say that the DBT is helpful at all? Are you seeing any results from it? If so, it might be good to focus on what she is offering and if it is enough. Strikes me as a good thing that she stuck out the program this long.

with compassion, pearl.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
Catlady3.14

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 02:46:39 PM »

Like pearl, my SO recognizes that there is a problem, when he hits a real low and then takes it all back.

And he views nothing he did wrong,only me.

Lately I have simply refused to fight or debate anything so it's all one sided. And I keep my reality as clear as possible.

I'm sorry it has been overwhelming for you. Sometimes I don't think I can handle much more either.

I'm doing the work! I'm baby stepping! I'm not a slacker!
Bill Murray in "what about bob?
Exhausted2018

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 04:37:11 PM »

For my SO, the turning point was two-fold:

First, I sat down one night (a "good" night, where she was calm and rational) on the couch with her, and passed my phone over to her. On my screen was the list of symptoms of BPD from the Mayo Clinic's website. I just said, "Hey babe--take a look at this list of symptoms and tell me what you think." She read it, looked up at me in shock, and said, "This is my entire life, in a list."

Second, two days later, I told her I had to move out while she got the help she needed. I knew I'd just enable her if I were there, and I really needed some space from the emotional abuse. Then I called around for apartments and began moving out the very next day.

By the following week, she'd done a ton of her own research, found a nearby clinic that specializes in DBT, and was working hard to get into that program.

She's not been in the program for very long yet, so I can't speak to how it's really going. But she did tell me that it helped that I approached her with it the way I did. Not: "Hey, you're sick, and here's what I think you have." More: "Here's something to take a look at it and see if it resonates with you."

Admittedly, DogMan, my SO is high-functioning. It might take a lot more to get through to someone who's lower-functioning.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest