Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 15, 2024, 07:42:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife resistant to help: would love tips and encouragement  (Read 369 times)
Vols4555

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 15, 2018, 03:28:01 AM »

My wife has always claimed to be an “emotional” person and has gone as far as to blame me for not remembering that when she has done something completely out of line to me so it was actually my fault. (Uhhh... .what?)

All this started about a year ago when I finally realized enough was enough.  I was working a full time job and coming home and the kids were all mine so the wife could escape to her passion... .a horse barn.  

I was handling all the bills, most the chores (including all the grocery shopping and most of the cooking)... .and life was too much to handle.  My wife was staying at home to watch the kids and make life easier for me and it felt like our life revolved around a barn.  So I sat her down and through much resistance, we changed things some.  

I decided I would get to reading bc I thought there was a possible mental issue and wanted to see my involvement and what I could control so I started with Happiness is a Choice then Boundaries in Marriage then Daring Greatly.  Each gave me a different perspective on how I should approach marriage and relationships and my thinking started to get healthier (I was way too much of a people pleaser).  

Still, even though my approach was different... .more honesty, calmness, no name calling... .my wife’s behavior stayed the same.  And the good times we experienced where I thought she made minor changes would go completely back to square one whenever I disagreed or even broached the subject of less time at the barn and more with her family.  

A lot of the time the punishment didn’t fit the crime and so many times I was left shaking my head and thinking is she being serious?  So about a month or two ago on a sports message board I saw a thread complaining about BPD.  I always thought it meant someone had a borderline personality disorder... .not a full personality disorder but seeing what these people were saying... .I had very similar experiences.  

So I bought Stop Walking on Eggshells.  I still wasn’t convinced she had BPD but was borderline BPD (this time actually meaning not full blown BPD ha).  After reading SWOE though, I mean it is like someone watched our lives with a camera and wrote a book.  

I had actually already been practicing some of the advice in the book already based on my previous readings and time in AA (and my mom is really big into recovery/self help and has been giving a lot of advice).  This has made me feel a lot better but I have hit a road block.  

I think she has BPD but that won’t help her control her emotions and get us back on the right track.  I have definitely learned more patience and SWOE further reinforced and introduced new principles on my attitude and how to approach my spouse but are there any successful stories on introducing the concept to your family member so they can work on it too? Aka getting her diagnosed (if she really does have it... .I am not a psychiatrist)

She has a counselor but she admittedly works on how to handle my actions (aka complains about me), I sent her the BPD test I found online to take and told her to look into the disorder (in the guise of all people practice certain of these patterns... .which I do believe but not to the extreme of BPD) and of course she just emailed me back that she passed and nothing more.

I know me getting better is not dependent on her and that I have no control over her but I’d love for any tips to try or even encouragement that it does get better

Thanks!
Go Vols
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

pearlsw

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 03:48:23 AM »

Hi Vols,

I'm sorry to give you such a short reply, but I was just about to jump offline when I saw your post.

Welcome

There is so much to read and know here! I hope others will come back and talk over the many, many issues your post raises. There is a lot here to talk about!

For now though let me say I admire how much effort you have put into your relationship with all your reading, and how hard you have worked to take care of your family. You sound like a great partner and father! (Are you a good cook?  ) You are doing some great things here, and your attitude remains positive which I think can also help on the bump rides many of are on along with you!

When you say she "passed" do you mean the test indicated she meets the criteria for it? Have you heard of DBT therapy? That is one typical approach that can help a person learn to better manage their emotions as I understand it.

Okay, I promised myself I would go take care of some other things, like my job, so I must run!

take good care, pearl.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
Vols4555

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 04:37:45 AM »

Improving cook... .we do keto so there is a lot of cooking so help is definitely desired.  Today I will cook Asian-style pork egg roll bowl and a keto chocolate cheesecake bc she has been struggling with sweets

It was a 9 question online test and it said she didn’t have BPD.  I didn’t take it with her and would likely disagree at many of her responses but she is good at the spin game (“no, you’re depressed!”, “you’re controlling”, etc.) and rarely wants to face or admit she has a problem.  There is no point in arguing with her, hence why I would love to hear other’s stories if they have one!

I looked into that DBT and it looks fantastic, especially since one of the sections is emotion regulation.  She has said many times that she is an emotional person so I may be able to use that as an in to get her to consider reading skill development sheets on that subject.  I haven’t been able to get her to read any books but this may be worth a shot.

I sound very manipulative by the way... .scheming on how to get her buy-in but my real concern is for my kids.  I can deal with and understand her behavior but my 3 and 1 yo won’t understand why mommy is gone all the time and lashes out at them in irrational ways.  Just reading and seeing what other people go through is very comforting and let’s me know I can do it.

Thanks
go Vols
pearlsw

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 05:46:43 AM »

Improving cook... .we do keto so there is a lot of cooking so help is definitely desired.  Today I will cook Asian-style pork egg roll bowl and a keto chocolate cheesecake bc she has been struggling with sweets

Thanks
go Vols

Hey Vols,

Oh no! That is not manipulative, that is sensitive to her sensitivity!

In fact, that is what I call it when I talk to my SO - we call it "emotional sensitivity" as a daily working language for it. He will readily admit he is emotionally sensitive. I actually have told him, we all have emotions, but his are "just" heightened. I think it gives him a little hope and makes him feel less sad about it, and that's okay by me.  

Oh, that's great about the keto cooking! I wish I was having lunch at your house today!  

Also, let me share some readings with you that address some of the topics you are bringing up.

Telling Someone You Think They Have BPD

How To Get a Loved One Into Therapy

From what read, it is not advised to tell them you think you have this. That said, I'm one of those people who told him I think he has this before I ever came to this site and realize they advise against it. Oops! In my case it wasn't the end of the world though. He readily admits he 'is crazy" and... .now he's trying to do something about it. It might be too late for us as a couple, but I am glad if he can get some help so he can suffer less. Poor fella.

If you get a chance to take a look let us know what you think!

May I ask, do you think her behavior is impacting the kids? How are they feeling?

wishing you good health, pearl.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
Woodchuck

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 05:29:54 PM »

I had a reply almost done this morning and my browser crashed.  Maybe that was for the best... .who knows.  Anyway, here is my second attempt.

My wife has always claimed to be an “emotional” person and has gone as far as to blame me for not remembering that when she has done something completely out of line to me so it was actually my fault. (Uhhh... .what?)

All this started about a year ago when I finally realized enough was enough.  I was working a full time job and coming home and the kids were all mine so the wife could escape to her passion... .a horse barn.  

I was handling all the bills, most the chores (including all the grocery shopping and most of the cooking)... .and life was too much to handle.  My wife was staying at home to watch the kids and make life easier for me and it felt like our life revolved around a barn.  So I sat her down and through much resistance, we changed things some.
Vols-
Welcome to the message board!  Hopefully you will find this to be a safe place to vent as well as find tools and solutions to help you cope with your situation.  My scenario is very close to yours.  I am the primary bread winner.  My W works but what she does with her earnings is her business.  She does not contribute to monthly expenses aside from an occasional trip the grocery store.  I handle all the bills, do the majority of the grocery shopping and a good bit of the cooking or at least taking care of meals.  The job I have has me gone for 12 hours a day and I have a business that I try to run on top of that.  Needless to say I have my plate full.  My W works 5-6 hours a day and according to our children goes back to bed after being home for about an hour.  Her 'barn' is her room and her computer/phone.  I have suspected that she has an internet addiction problem for many years.  She will stay in her room for hours either sleeping or surfing the net.  According to her, she does everything and no one appreciates everything that she does.  Trying to sit down with her to talk about making changes is futile as she has stated that she does not care what I think or anyone else thinks.  She is going to do things her way.

I decided I would get to reading bc I thought there was a possible mental issue and wanted to see my involvement and what I could control so I started with Happiness is a Choice then Boundaries in Marriage then Daring Greatly.  Each gave me a different perspective on how I should approach marriage and relationships and my thinking started to get healthier (I was way too much of a people pleaser).  

Still, even though my approach was different... .more honesty, calmness, no name calling... .my wife’s behavior stayed the same.  And the good times we experienced where I thought she made minor changes would go completely back to square one whenever I disagreed or even broached the subject of less time at the barn and more with her family.  
I have spent many years trying to make changes to help her change.  In a way this is not 'bad' but it is futile.  The reason being is that no matter what changes are made, it is never enough or never right.  I have completely worn myself out trying to meet her needs, make her feel loved, cared about appreciated etc but nothing has worked.  Within the last few months, I have worked on changing my mindset.  I am working on changing but now I am changing for me.  This change has done a few things.  I don't expect anything from her.  I am changing to make myself better.  If she wants to come along side me as I change, that is great.  With that said, I see many similar traits with you.  I am a self admitted people pleaser and that has been very detrimental at times.  I have always had a hard time saying 'no' to people.  I want to please her above anyone else and have worked hard to do that.  I am now of the opinion that it is impossible, so I am just focusing on me and our children. 

I had actually already been practicing some of the advice in the book already based on my previous readings and time in AA (and my mom is really big into recovery/self help and has been giving a lot of advice).  This has made me feel a lot better but I have hit a road block.  

I think she has BPD but that won’t help her control her emotions and get us back on the right track.  I have definitely learned more patience and SWOE further reinforced and introduced new principles on my attitude and how to approach my spouse but are there any successful stories on introducing the concept to your family member so they can work on it too? Aka getting her diagnosed (if she really does have it... .I am not a psychiatrist)

She has a counselor but she admittedly works on how to handle my actions (aka complains about me), I sent her the BPD test I found online to take and told her to look into the disorder (in the guise of all people practice certain of these patterns... .which I do believe but not to the extreme of BPD) and of course she just emailed me back that she passed and nothing more.

I know how difficult all this is.  I have been dealing with it for over a decade and it has really taken a toll.  I still remember when I first read about NPD/BPD many years ago.  I became so excited because everything made sense.  In my excitement, I went and presented her with my findings (similar to you sending your W that test).  That went over as expected, absolutely horribly.  My W actually approached me last month and told me that she thought I had BPD and sent me an online test and told me that she had taken it and she did not have BPD but that she thought I did and I should take it and then go in and get a formal evaluation/diagnosis/treatment.  My response to her was that the online tests were kind of silly as they can be manipulated to show whatever results you desired. 

I would highly encourage you to get involved here and explore the tools and articles available and put them into practice.  The first and most important thing is to work on changing your mindset about why you are changing and working on things.  It takes a lot of self awareness and exploration.  Member here have helped me identify how even when I think I am working on me, I have had an expectation that me working on me will change her or help her.  She has to realize that she needs help and work on changing and helping herself.  Honestly, the changes that I have made have only made her more angry but I feel much more grounded and calm than I can remember being in a long time.  With that, you also need to be aware of how your W may try to passively bait you into an argument.  If you look into JADE, SET and the other communication tools here, they are very eye opening on how we actually feed the pwBPD when we take the bait to argue with them etc.  Stay involved here and you will learn a lot.  There is a lot of support here that I have not seen anywhere else.  Keep posting and sharing your story.

WC
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest