Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 01:44:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: only child of BPD mom, looking to cope and deal  (Read 363 times)
Hope80

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: October 16, 2018, 12:39:40 AM »

I am the daughter and only child of a BPD mother. It seems lately that she is harder to get along with. I am trying to find ways to cope and deal with her to avoid conflict. I look forward to reading and discussing support strategies with all of you.
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 12:44:06 AM »

Hi and welcome to the board.  I am glad you found us as there are many here in a similar situation.

What sorts of behaviors does your mother engage in that cause you difficulty?  What sort of relationship do you want with her and how do you want it to look?

As you share more of your story we will be better able to guide you to particular resources and tools you can use in your relationship.

I hope to hear more from you soon.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 01:29:26 AM »

I  am an only child too.  How is she hard to get along with?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 08:51:53 PM »

Welcome, welcome Hope80Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Excerpt
It seems lately that she is harder to get along with.

Is there something that happened recently or is going to happen soon that may have triggered her?

So glad you've found us! By the way, we have a great list on the right hand side of our board for you to check out. ------>> > Click on any of the sentences, and they'll open up into a larger window. Where would you think you are on the list? Everyone is in a different place, and it doesn't necessarily go in order for us.

Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
Hope80

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 02:24:08 AM »

She is very critical and judgemental. She sees herself much differently than someone else would. Most people do, I realize. However, she has very little insight and sometimes does not understand how her behavior and words affect others. Her feelings always come first. If she is sad or angry, she can be quite hurtful. The hardest part is just listening to her criticisms and complaints and ignoring the occasional passive aggressive jabs. I do not agree with most of what she says, but I cannot criticize her or offer advice.
I have acquired sone of my parents’ behavior and thought patterns. I, too, tend to be overly critical. But unlike my mother, I criticize myself, too, because I recognize that I am not perfect and the fault does not always fall on the other.
I am somewhere in the mourning and healing stage. My memory is very good, and I can remember a few things from when I was a toddler (am late 30s). When I feel a little depressed, it is a bad habit to remember painful times and feel worse. It is a habit that I am trying to quit. It is better for me to accept my past for what it was and refocus on the better memories of happier times.
Right now, I am trying to accept her for who she is and not get embarrassed by her. My parents do not have many friends, and we always lived sort of isolated from friends and family. Going out with my mom, she will strike up conversations with strangers... .sometimes preaching or giving unsolicited advice. She misses the nonverbal cues when her listener becomes disinterested and would like to end the conversation.
One of my biggest fears is that I will become like her.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest