Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 12:03:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Had a Nightmare (very rare for me)  (Read 382 times)
mama-wolf

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: November 06, 2018, 08:01:11 AM »

I had a nightmare on Saturday night after my cousin's wedding.  I am guessing it is rolled up with some of the processing that I have been exploring in my other thread, but I figured it might spark its own separate discussion...

What stands out to me is that it I have had this nightmare before.  Only 2-3 times over a span of years, and they were slightly different in the details but the underlying events and ending are the same.  And each time it has been so real in a way that most of my dreams just aren’t, which has made them stick in my memory (unlike most dreams that we forget).

In my dream Saturday night, I was in my car.  It was night, and I was stopped somewhere with my mom.  She had gone around to the back of the car to load something in the trunk.  I realized I was rolling backward, so I moved the car forward and put on the brakes. 

But then I realized the car started rolling backward again.  When I put on the brakes this time, it didn’t stop the car.  I pressed as hard as I could, and it didn’t work.  I pulled the emergency brake, and it didn’t do anything.  I saw my mom in the rearview mirror, looking worried.  Then I became aware in the dream that S5 was in the car with me.

After a couple moments of frustration that I couldn’t stop the car, I felt us roll off the edge of a cliff and fall.  I didn’t know the cliff was there, but I felt us go over and knew in that instant that it was certain death on impact.  In that moment of falling, with that weightless sick feeling of panic in my stomach, all I could do was reach back for S5 screaming that I loved him.

I woke up at that point, heart pounding of course.  The last time I had this dream, I was at some kind of construction site, alone in the car, intentionally backing up to get out of the way of some heavy equipment before going over an edge I didn't know was there.  I'm not sure how long ago that was, but I think it has been at least a year or two.  Details of the first time or two are more fuzzy except for the falling part.

Given the recurrence, I have been thinking a lot about dreams lately.  Especially since last week when I found myself thinking back on a nightmare I had as a kid.  It’s the only nightmare I really remember from my childhood, but now I'm wondering more about the potential meaning.  In that dream, the Hulk had me (as a child) over his shoulder, and he was taking me away somewhere.

(It appears the Hulk has some special meaning to me, given the below reference I made in an earlier post about triggers.  I watched a lot of sci-fi as a kid ... .including the Incredible Hulk tv show... .and I always loved them.)

Excerpt
Speaking of anger in particular, I get this mental image of the Hulk when he first transforms.  He just stands there and roars at the world or whatever it was that finally provoked the Hulk to come out. and then he just goes on this destructive rampage (granted, usually in service of good, but still it's a mess).  I feel like I'm Bruce Banner, constantly trying to keep the Hulk from coming out... .but the reality is there is no Hulk to be worried about.

What I find interesting about the dream from my childhood is that I realized I wasn’t scared of the Hulk.  I was just scared.

I can hypothesize over the meanings of a lot of things.  Maybe as a child I was feeling overwhelmed by emotions.  Maybe my anger (the Hulk in my dream) was helping to protect me from something upsetting, at least subconsciously.  Maybe I'm unknowingly getting too close to some serious emotions in my adult life and sensing some kind of cliff coming up.  Or maybe I just had indigestion.  I don't know.  It was just so terrifying in the dream... .especially to know I was taking S5 with me.

mw

Mustbeabetterway

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 04:27:24 PM »

Hi mw,

What do you think your dream is telling you? 

I had a recent dream where I was walking by a familiar bayou and at first I had children from my class with me, as if we were on a hike.  The bayou started to rise and I was aware that we needed to move to higher ground.  Then it was just me in the dream and I was standing on a patch of ground and all around me water was encroaching.  Then I woke up.  I had apparently helped the children to safety and then I needed to make a decision to save myself.  This spoke to me about my having to decide to save myself from the disaster that would swallow me up. 

I'm interested to hear how you interpret your dream.

Mustbeabetterway
mama-wolf

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 08:46:03 PM »

Thanks for checking in, Mustbe... .

I'm interested to hear how you interpret your dream.

This is something I have found really uncomfortable to think about, so I basically haven't (much).  Probably has something to do with me being scared to death of connecting with my emotions... .feeling like I don't even know the real danger, but that it's there sneaking up on me, and that eventually I'm going to go over the edge and be swallowed up whole.  Possibly fearing the collateral damage that it might do to my kids, too.

That feeling going over the cliff... .that was terror like I have never experienced in my waking life.  I have read that the important thing to focus on when trying to understand our dreams is how we feel about what's happening in the dream.  So that feeling came through pretty loud and clear and I'm not quite sure what to do with it.

The night after this nightmare, I had a more run-of-the mill bad dream about losing my job.  It was unsettling, feeling that uncertainty about "what am I going to do now," but it was something I was able to shake off once I woke up. 

Then a couple nights ago, I had a very vivid dream about uBPDxw being in my house.  She had pointedly pulled some files of financial documents from the home office, and I got angry demanding to know why she was going through my things.  The utter dismissal from her, and the mocking tone she used while mimicking my demands back to me... .it sent me through the roof in the dream.  I was yelling at her to get the f**k out of my house.  She mocked that, too.  I screamed she had until the count of 10 to get herself out, and I started counting.  She tried to backpedal a bit, but realized I was serious when I got to 10, pulled out my phone, and dialed 9-1-1.  And then I woke up.  Took me a bit longer to shake that dream.

And last night, I woke up in the middle of the night and just plain couldn't get back to sleep for a couple hours.

That's several nights of stressful dreams or poor sleep in the past week or so.  It has been busy between my business trip and helping my mom clean out the last of the things in her house (she closes on the sale of the house this Friday).  I'm really hoping we get into/back to a better routine after that's done.  My self-care has been slipping.

mw

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 09:15:27 PM »

good to hear from you m-w!

Probably has something to do with me being scared to death of connecting with my emotions... .feeling like I don't even know the real danger, but that it's there sneaking up on me, and that eventually I'm going to go over the edge and be swallowed up whole. 

what are these feelings around? the divorce process? the grief?

im getting a sense that youre afraid a shoe is going to drop from somewhere.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Mustbeabetterway

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 09:30:28 PM »

Those are really intense feelings you are having in your dreams.  I can identify with taking a while to shake them off when you wake.  I sometimes have dreams that fill  me with terror and I wake up and it seems so real it’s unsettling.  Maybe our brains are trying to process these difficult emotions that we have trouble expressing through our dreams. 

During this detaching process, anytime my normal routine gets scrambled, I feel anxious, or sad, or grouchy.   You are probably right about your change of routine contributing to your stress.  Hopefully you can get back to your normal routine soon.   

mama-wolf

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 08:55:37 AM »

what are these feelings around? the divorce process? the grief?

I'm not sure, once removed... .I don't like acknowledging that there is grief, but there must be, right?

I had an appointment last week with another T.  It was the mid-way check-in my T had recommended that I schedule so I didn't go through the entire maternity leave without some kind of support.  The other T observed that it sounded like I felt some resentment, and I would agree with that, too.  Mostly with regards to the fact that uBPDxw has gotten to say basically whatever she wants to me (and to others), but I have to be so much more restrained (both with her, and pretty much anyone else).

im getting a sense that youre afraid a shoe is going to drop from somewhere.

Yes, I discussed this with my T before she went on leave.  I worry that there will be some sort of emotional overload that comes at me sideways, hits me when I'm not expecting it or able to handle it.

Maybe our brains are trying to process these difficult emotions that we have trouble expressing through our dreams. 

This was my guess, too.  But I don't know which is worse... .processing them consciously or through the manifestations in our dreams.

mw

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 09:14:16 AM »

youve done a lot of good work with your T, mw, and im glad you bring it here to reflect on. it seems to me its been a pretty valuable resource in your recovery.

i think worry+resentment could make for some loaded and powerful dreams. all that stuff that is buried (even if youre conscious of it) resurfacing in your sleep. boy did i have some vivid dreams at the time.

I worry that there will be some sort of emotional overload that comes at me sideways, hits me when I'm not expecting it or able to handle it.

anything specific that comes to mind, or is it a general worry?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest