Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 02:37:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Study help for abnormal psychology  (Read 405 times)
TricePaige

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: November 12, 2018, 02:51:50 AM »

How do I detach myself from the pain of putting up with a BPD family member and look at it clinically?
Harri
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 03:02:11 AM »

One way is to learn about the disorder so you know what is driving the behaviors.

Are you looking for help with dealing with a family member with BPD or is this a homework question? 

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
TricePaige

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 03:15:59 AM »

Both! Cuz I've witnessed living with a BPD family member first hand, and I want to make more out of it. I study Psych in college and I'm wondering if there are things outside my syllabus that I can refer to. Case studies are welcome
TricePaige

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 03:17:47 AM »

I've long lost hope on advice and other counseling. I'm wondering how people actually do it with examples.
Notwendy

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 06:44:22 AM »

I think I can relate to this as I took psychology in college and wanted to see where my BPD mother was in the text book. I didn't pursue a degree in psychology but took the  intro class. I didn't know she had BPD at the time- no internet and I don't think it was as established as a diagnosis so I didn't find the answer, but I knew something was going on with her and wanted to know what it was.

If you are looking at examples, basically every post on these boards is an example of someone dealing with a BPD family member or partner. There are also many articles about BPD on this board that are likely outside the syllabus to read.

We can learn to cope with our experiences with a BPD family member- it takes both our thinking - intellectual learning, and also emotional- dealing with feelings. There is a difference between keeping your cool with a BPD situation and turning off or not feeling your feelings. The feelings can be painful- and it helps to learn to manage them with a trained therapist, not just make it so you don't feel them. Avoidance of feelings can drive dysfunctional behaviors. What is better is to gain emotionally healthy coping skills to manage them and this can be done with work.

I think almost every college has student health and psychology services. For many, the fees are covered by tuition and your insurance. It would be a great opportunity to take advantage of this service- and speak to a counselor at your school about your experiences. When you say you've lost hope- perhaps you need a different counselor, and also more time. These issues are not resolved quickly  but doing the work to manage them is an investment in yourself and well worth the work.

Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 06:49:10 AM »

Hi TricePaige  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Welcome to the BPD Family  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

I agree with Turkish understanding BPD and recognizing the behaviors are helpful.  When you recognize that a particular behavior... .like FOG (Fear, Obligation, Guilt) or emotional Blackmail for example it is easier to not be pushed into something  you don't want to do when you see it as the manipulative/dysfunctional tool that it is.  When you can recognize this type of behavior then you can recognize were the behavior is coming from, and rather than feel guilty for something you haven't done, you can think... .a ha! I see the FOG, this isn't about me at all, this is the other person and their dysfunctional tool.

I suggest you read some of the other posts or post more about your own situation to work on understanding BPD, the common behaviors and tools that can help.

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Star0009

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 10:59:58 AM »

read stop walking on eggshells. Also yeah these boards are incredible because although our stories are each so unique and strange at times leaving us feeling isolated once you figure out the patterns they are so similar. Once I found out my Mom might have BPD, read the book and found these boards I could very easily separate her behavior so when we argued I knew what was me and what was not my fault and what triggered her abusive behavior.
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Dissolved

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 07:03:28 PM »

Hi, TricePaige. Welcome to the boards. You’ve gotten some legitimate questions thus far.

Dealing with this stuff feels like hell. Knowledge can bring us out of that pit. First and foremost, how are you feeling in this moment? Secondly, do you have a desired outcome? Do you want some breathing room to reassess your situation?

TricePaige, I was in tatters when I finally showed myself here. You’ve taken the plunge. How can we help you?

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 01:55:06 AM »

I've long lost hope on advice and other counseling. I'm wondering how people actually do it with examples.

What caused you to lose hope in counseling?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest