Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 28, 2024, 06:32:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife has BPD  (Read 433 times)
FMA1990
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: December 06, 2018, 06:27:38 AM »

My wife was diagnosed with BPD a year ago. I thought it would get better. I thought if I stayed I could be her knight in shining armor and help her get through this and all would be better in a year or two. Now I just hate myself for ever letting myself get married to her and thinking I could help change her. She is the only one who can do that, but now I am stuck with beratement, hatred, and cycle of being the best person she knows and “worthless piece of ___” she believes me to be. I don’t want to leave her. I love her. I just feel so hopeless and guilty right now. I know it’s not my fault she acts the way she does. I just wish I could help more.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Zakade

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 10:47:23 AM »

FMA1990, Welcome!

Sorry to hear that you struggling so much.  This is a great place for you to be around people that are having similar issues as you.  I know you said that she has been diagnosed with BPD. 

What kind of treatment has she had since being diagnosed?

What have you done for yourself to grow?

Zakade

What you are shouts so loudly in my ears I cannot hear what you say. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
No one can persuade another to change. Each of us guards a gate of change that can only be opened from the inside. We cannot open the gate of another, either by argument or emotional appeal. -Marilyn Ferguson
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »

Hi FMA.  I am joining Zakade in saying welcome to the site!  Many of us can relate to your situation.  The good news is we get it here.  The other good news is that we can help guide and support you as you decide how you want to approach things.

It is very difficult when we love someone and want to help them but it turns out to be the very last thing we can or should be doing.  You are right, you can't change your wife.  What you can change is your part of the relationship though.  I am not placing blame here when I say that.  I mean that we often can learn ways to communicate that can improve things for *us* and sometimes that will make things better for them too, but the focus here is on us. 

I hope you settle in and continue to post and jump into other threads.  It is very helpful to watch others as they work through similar issues and it is important for you to build a support network that among people who understand.

If you had to pick one thing to work on right now, what would that be?  We can help.

Again, welcome.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest