Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 11:24:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victimhood in pwBPD AND Nons  (Read 778 times)
AskingWhy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 01:13:35 PM »

I have allowed myself to be a victim of my uBPD H because I did not know what was going on until I was married and then several years into the marriage.

I was the proverbial boiled frog.  I did not see the "heat" slowly being raised until I was boiled, so to speak.  My own FOO was very dysfunctional.  Although my H's rages and enmeshed behaviour toward his adult children, and rage towards his own parents and X W was clear to me, I did not know what to make of it, like a person finding an artifact from a long-lost culture.

Like others, my H is a chameleon who showed me only the "colours" I wanted to see.  This is very common at the beginning of R/Ss with BPDs and NPDs.

Now that I am aware of the mechanisms of BPD, I am able to make informed decisions on myself and my responses to my H's episodes of dysregulation.  Where I once could be reduced to tears and begging my H to take me back after he told me he'd divorce me if I did not capitulate (or apologize for something I allegedly had done to offend him), I now take his rages in stride as mere manifestations of the madman that he is.

I know he has a dreadful FOO, worse than I ever had, and I know my FIL is most likely NPD, but I don't cut my H any slack for this.  All people are responsible for their own behaviour toward others.

Red5

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 05:10:29 PM »

Excerpt
AW writes... ."people are responsible for their own behavior toward others."

I've read this many times over the past two years... ."its not BPD that acts abusively, its the person who is BPD that acts abusively,"

Its taken a long time for me to even try to figure this out, is it done consciously, or not?

I've spent years running ahead, "clearing the path"... .trying to prevent the next dysregulation... .but I now understand, if the pw/BPD has it on their heart to be the victim, no matter how much mine clearing you do, they will find one, and then "off they go"... .off into the "victim zone".

Its very sad, and it breaks many hearts.

... .empathy turns to apathy after a while.

Red5

“We are so used to our own history, we do not see it as remarkable or out of the ordinary, whereas others might see it as horrendous. Further, we tend to minimize that which we feel shameful about.” {Quote} Patrick J. Carnes / author,
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 11:29:23 PM »

Its taken a long time for me to even try to figure this out, is it done consciously, or not?

In many ways it doesn’t matter if it’s intentional or not, the pain that’s inflicted hurts either way. It’s our choice whether we allow it to feel like a pin prick or a flesh wound.

I've spent years running ahead, "clearing the path" ... .trying to prevent the next dysregulation ... .but I now understand, if the pw/BPD has it on their heart to be the victim, no matter how much mine clearing you do, they will find one, and then "off they go" ... .off into the "victim zone".

Yeah, the level of creativity of finding things to feel victimized by is really amazing. I’m now allowing my husband to make that a solo journey without offering my assistance.

That way it’s much less interesting for him to do that.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest