Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 03:31:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gut Punches  (Read 358 times)
Irish1477

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: March 22, 2019, 02:02:58 PM »

I'm immersed in therapy, from trauma therapy to inner child healing, and am learning how my mom's dBPD affects my mom & how it has had a lasting affect on my own inner voice about myself. Most days I handle this all well, and the feelings of being unlovable & a truly horrible person at my core are beginning to be a thing of my past because I am able to see my actions do not support this.

And then a family member tells me that for the last 20 years my mom has said the only reason I was close to my father in law was because he has money & I was waiting around for my inlaws to die so I could inherit it.

My mother, step-father, and father were all horrible parents who repeatedly traumatized my brother & I as children, and as adults they have continued to be a source of drama & never ending stress in our lives. We have to take care of them, as we always have, with no feelings of unconditional love being given. My father in law was the first real father I ever had. I met him at 17, when my husband & I began dating, and over the next 20 years was one of the closest relationships in my life. He was a rock, he was stable, and he showed me parental love I had needed my whole life. He died very suddenly & unexpectedly almost 3 years ago, and I feel like an orphan once again.

I don't really know why I'm posting this. I have been no contact with my mom for months, there is nothing that can be done with or about this new character assassinating information. It just HURT hearing that my relationship with my father in law was defined in such a materialistic, disgusting manner. I would give every dime I have to bring my father in law back, and trade every dime of any future inheritance my husband will one day receive to have him here.

I can read about BPD until I am blue in the face, but I will never will fully understand how my mother can hate me so much that she makes me out to be a monster constantly.   
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 03:03:40 PM »

You are struggling with how your mother can act so terribly and say such mean things about the loving relationship you had with your father in law. It can be really hard to understand the mean behaviors of others when we are not that kind of person, especially from our mother whom we expect to love us unconditionally. I have several aunts and uncles from both parents' families whom my parents constantly said horrible things about that were either not true or gross distortions of the truth. These aunts and uncles gave me the love that my parents couldn't as I was the scapegoat of the family, and I think my parents were threatened by my receiving the love from others that they were incapable of providing me. Those of us who were raised by a parent with BPD traits, will probably never giving up hoping that our parents will love us the way we deserve, and it will always be a threat, a fear of abandonment, when they see us in any kind of loving relationship. Understanding why a mother treats a child so badly certainly does not lessen the hurt or the pain; it can just help us to slowly move towards acceptance while periodically grieving our life long loss, while continuing to surround ourselves with people we can love and they can love us back.

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:47:39 PM »

I can read about BPD until I am blue in the face, but I will never will fully understand how my mother can hate me so much that she makes me out to be a monster constantly.   

Because of this, her self-loathing which she projected onto you:

Most days I handle this all well, and the feelings of being unlovable & a truly horrible person at my core are beginning to be a thing of my past because I am able to see my actions do not support this.   

She really hates herself.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Irish1477

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 11:48:05 AM »

Thank y'all for responding, and the reminder. Every time I believe I am out of her clutches, something else comes up & it is another gut punch all over again.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest