Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
October 05, 2024, 05:41:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do I start?  (Read 405 times)
holdthedramaxo
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: April 07, 2019, 09:09:02 PM »

I am already so thankful for finding this wonderful resource. I feel there are very few people who understand this disorder and very little outlets for non BPs. I have been a long committed relationship (at least on my end) with a man who struggles with BPD. It has been a roller coaster to say the least. However, he is on top of it and enrolled in DBT. It seems to help but then he tries to use the new skills to insert his "emotional intelligence" further which drives the victim mentality. I have dealt with minor physical abuse, tons of emotional and verbal abuse, etc. The need for attention and validation on his part is insane. He projects like crazy. Rearranges facts. Push/pull, splits, etc. One day he loves me and wants to marry me, the next day he hates and devalues marriage. I'm just trying to find a way to not take things personally anymore and let him know I love him but I will not be a door mat or punching bag for your pain anymore. Any tips?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

loyalwife

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 10:51:58 PM »

Welcome new member (click to insert in post)
     So glad you are here. You can learn a lot with the resources provided her, to keep you grounded. It's so great that your pwBPD is going to DBT. I recently asked my husband to check it out, and he is 'reading a book'. I personally took the program about ten years ago, and it changed my life. It sounds like you have an idea of what it is about. Have you thought of ways to help him navigate through some of the emotional intelligence? It take times, practice and commitment to change. Have you noticed any?
     Setting boundaries will help you. Let him know that you will not tolerate any of the abuse anymore. Each time that things get out of kilter, then reinforce that this is where the boundary is and walk away. It is your right. Discover what makes you happy. Abuse is adverse to our soul and self esteem. Again, there are videos etc. to help you here.
     BPD doesn't go away. It's a personality disorder and short of a lobotomy (just joking), they don't change. What changes is our reaction. They learn to self regulate when we don't rescue them. The push/pull behavior is typical behavior, and it hurts. It's so hard to love someone that displays this and changes frequently. What you can change, is you. Keep coming back her, read stories, and learn. You will become stronger than you ever thought you could, and accept BPD for what it is. 

***Kind regards***
*****always*****
        Loyalwife
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest