Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 01:59:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How hard is it get Disability  (Read 670 times)
Worried Mom23

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: May 13, 2019, 09:47:31 AM »

My 29 yr old daughter diagnosed about 4 yrs ago has stuggled to keep a job.  She grts the job within the yr she has a breakdown or just refuses to go to work..she has enough points to get it..she has BPD..PTSD..Bipolar...she has 2 sweet girls ..this last epidsode she was put on fmla for 3 weeks to get her med straightened out ...a fellow employee sent hrr horrible tx messages about how terriblr of a person she is and she is messing everyones schedules up. Which sent hrr into a suicidal thoughts..sorry fir the long post just wondering how hard it is to get it
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
DriftlessRider

Relationship status: Married 25 years.

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:06:13 PM »

I don't know, I'm looking forward to responses from others.

We are going through the process, filling out the forms. Daughter got a rejection letter last week, which we expected. Apparently many applications are rejected and we were told to expect that. We will appeal, and I think we will enlist the help of an attorney that specializes in the work.

Next week ... first I need to get my son graduated from high school
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:19:51 PM by DriftlessRider » Logged
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 01:56:44 PM »

Hi Worried Mom23

I really feel for your DD and can imagine how difficult some workplaces, people maybe. Stressful. She's obviously trying her best and with two little ones that's huge and no doubt you are helping keep it all together! I'm in the UK, so I can't advise how you go about claiming. My 30DD did gain disability benefit (a small one as she lives at home, paid for her phone, contact lenses, cat, travel on public transport, contribution towards food) as she was engaging in DBT and her medical records clearly showed she was completely unfit for work and had been for sometime in and out of hospital and a women's crisis home. It's tough to gain disability here. If you're not in crisis, in treatment (that's not available in many parts here) forget it.

Is your DD in treatment as well as meds? Gaining the disability allowance, small as is validated my DD and she has spent her time since Dec2016 working hard to recover to remission. That's been the goal to date and still is for her to continue to build her skills and resilience. The current challenge is to find a way of earning her living that she can cope with and deliver on and not slide backwards. I'm thinking that's gradually building up a portfolio of clients, mainly working from home to begin with. She is scared, we're taking this gently, easy does it. Day by day. There is a lot of learning for her how to get from A to B to C …..

I'm right behind you and DriftlessRider our children need support and time and space to get well and to find a way of working that suits them, if or when they are able to work.

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
wendydarling
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 02:08:07 PM »

Excerpt
Next week ... first I need to get my son graduated from high school
Yes   Busy days for you 

No-One

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 05:07:51 PM »

Worried Mom23:
I think she will likely need to start out applying for State Disability, if she has been paying a monthly fee via her paycheck (for disability insurance).  Hopefully, she is embracing treatment and is under the continual care for meds and/or therapy. 

I'm thinking she might get some direction from whomever assisted her with going on a family leave.

Sorry to hear about the treatment by her teammate (s).  It can be hard on a work team when someone goes on a leave of absence.  Usually, the rest of the team has to cover for the missing person, until that person quits or is fired (there isn't a temp replacement).   If the person on leave is a difficult person to work with, then the harder it can be for the teammates to work with the situation.

SkellyII

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:40:28 AM »

We are going through the process, filling out the forms. Daughter got a rejection letter last week, which we expected. Apparently many applications are rejected and we were told to expect that. We will appeal, and I think we will enlist the help of an attorney that specializes in the work.

My daughter is still a minor, so I don't have first-hand experience with that...yet. My older sister is currently receiving disability, but that was relatively easy since she is brain damaged.

I did date an attorney a few years ago who shared a practice with a couple of attorneys who specialize in that field. From talking to them, they said to expect to get rejected once, sometimes twice. After the rejection, get an attorney experienced in that field to assist you. They did say that sometimes it can take 2-3 years o get it all wrapped up.

Good luck with everything.
No-One

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 02:00:51 PM »

I did date an attorney a few years ago who shared a practice with a couple of attorneys who specialize in that field. From talking to them, they said to expect to get rejected once, sometimes twice. After the rejection, get an attorney experienced in that field to assist you. They did say that sometimes it can take 2-3 years o get it all wrapped up.
Attorneys are typically used when you are trying to get permanent disability for someone via the Social Security system and you are rejected, or you are dealing with a worker's comp case and trying to get a judgement.

wendydarling
Retired Staff

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 02:43:18 PM »

Excerpt
My older sister is currently receiving disability, but that was relatively easy since she is brain damaged.
You've been through so much SkellyII.   I'm glad you've a strong support network, friends, is what we need. Sharing our knowledge here.

Today in the UK the news 1 in 4 girls are struggling with MH issues. Add our boys, other family and friends.

Worried Mom23 have you spoken with your DD about taking time out? Is she able to claim short term benefit for now?

WDx

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:57:56 PM by wendydarling » Logged

Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 03:41:37 PM »

I am on SSDI for physical conditions.  It took me 14 months (15?) with one rejection and I understand that was pretty quick.

I did use a lawyer for the appeal.  She told me that my case was good because I did keep doctors appointments, followed through on treatments and therapies and I had my doctors in my corner as No-One mentioned.

I did learn that it does not matter how many conditions you have and it does not matter if you can't perform the job you had, it is more that you can't perform any job.   

Another thing that clinched it for me was my doctor filled out the Residual Function Form sent to her by my lawyer.  I am not sure how it works for mental disabilities but this was my experience.

It takes time.  Good luck.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Worried Mom23

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2019, 10:59:13 AM »

Update..we just went straight to an attoney this attoney wont except you as a client unless tgey feel you have a chance because they dont get paid unless they get it for you. They said she should be able to get it, as we have our Dr behind us..she has went thru multiple jobs i believe 5 in one yr ..her anxiety on top of the BPD and bipolar and ptsd and depression she has been diagnosed with makes it hard to keep her working.   She is in treament and has been for the past 3 yrs...this last breakdown the counseler left and it sent her into a downward spiral...she is accually seeing a new counselor today so im praying its a good fit.  We got access to her medical records and she has page after page about her mental issues she deals with..im hoping she gets the disability and gets to a place she can at least work a part time job to fill her time..maybe something without people as you all know relationships are very difficult for her..a look from a coworker can set off sheer panic in her as she will take that look as someone judging her then its over she wont return to work.
Only Human

Relationship status: divorced since the 90's

Love is still the answer

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 09:27:19 PM »

They said she should be able to get it

That's great! I like the idea of going the "hire an attorney" route right away. Why wait?  

she is accually seeing a new counselor today so im praying its a good fit.  

How'd it go with the new counselor?

~ OH

"It's our god forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved."
-Jason Mraz, I'm Yours
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
stampingt1

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 03:05:13 AM »

Worried Mom23,

Usually when someone is on FMLA, it's supposed to be a private matter.  Her co-worker could get into trouble for sending those unhelpful texts.

Good luck getting your daughter Disability & the help that she needs.

Stampingt1

wendydarling
Retired Staff

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 04:02:26 AM »

A no win, no fee attorney, sounds promising you've a good case, your Dr behind you with medical records that tell the story, evidence. What are the next steps Worried Mom23?

Fingers crossed the counsellor is a good fit, how did it go?

WDx

DriftlessRider

Relationship status: Married 25 years.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 03:36:50 PM »

My DD21 got a denied letter from the Social Security office with a 60 day window to appeal. I noticed on the paperwork that her therapist and psychologist had never submitted the paperwork that was requested by Social Security. I don't know if she was supposed to follow up on that or not.

So, we did hire an attorney that specializes in this work. There is no cost if she does not get on disability. If she does the cost is 25% of her "past-due benefits", with a cap of $6,000. If I understand correctly, benefits accrue as of application date, and when you get approved you are entitled payments back to that date. So, the attorney will not cost any new money, daughter would just get less than she otherwise would have.

This fee arrangement seems standard and regulated by Social Security. The "Appointment of Representative" form (https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1696.pdf) lists this as an option, and the $6,000 figure appears to be set by the Commissioner of Social Security.

If I understand correctly, and this only applies to the USA of course. But contacting an attorney seems like it can be risk-free financially.

wendydarling
Retired Staff

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 05:57:34 PM »

Sorry to hear this Driftlessrider. I'm in the UK. My DD had to submit all the medical evidence in her possession all dated prior to her application. This was very clearly set out in the 'how to apply' instructions. DD is contacted yearly to re-submit her application and recent medical evidence. It's not long term disability benefit. Her progress is monitored. I think as she lives at home (roof and food provided, for now) and it's a small amount of benefit, maybe a less contentious decision.

That's tough having to litigate. In your position I would, it's important our children understand how to claim their rights.

WDx

Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »

Very promising, WOrriedMom.  Thank you for this update and please keep us posted on your progress. 

nevergupmom

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 10:00:02 PM »

We were able to secure disability benefits with the help of Mental Health America.  They advocated for us and helped  with the application, and said it we got approved due to the amount of supporting medical documentation, that went back about 10 years.   His therapist at the time wrote a detailed evaluation that proved to be very helpful.   We were denied when we attempted on our own.  A lawyer isn't always necessary if you can find someone to assist with the process that has a proven track record.  It has really taken the pressure off financially and has kept my son off the streets a number of times. 
Best of luck to you.
Nevergiveup
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 10:05:32 PM »

Excerpt
I noticed on the paperwork that her therapist and psychologist had never submitted the paperwork that was requested by Social Security.
I learned this happens a lot even when paperwork is requested by the lawyer.  I mentioned above that what helped me get SSDI was the residual function form.  My lawyer has sent it to my PCP and it was never filled out.  She then recommended that I take it with me to an appointment and ask my doc face to face to do it... done deal!

Don't sweat the denial, though it is frustrating. 

Good luck!

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Worried Mom23

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 09:08:46 AM »

Well we are in the appeal Well we are in the appeal process
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest