Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 02:32:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Ticking time bomb" - wondering if this applies to my life  (Read 375 times)
lonely38

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: May 16, 2019, 08:57:04 AM »

Being angry and contentious is not a good idea.

If there is a possibility of you staying, then none of this is good. Your actions are seeding resentments and breaking down the relationship fabric to a point where things are not going to be recoverable. Maybe you run off into the night and hide in Idaho with your child. Maybe it ends with a horrific DV incident. Maybe an affair. Maybe a suicide. My point is that if you continue on the current trajectory for any period of time, there is likely a very unfavorable outcome and these things often come when you least expect them.

You are finding some comfort in shutting down and standing up to him and fighting back. I get that. Your feel justified and empowered. It's a normal feeling. It may be fully justified.

It's important, however, to know that this is situation is a ticking time bomb. There is likely a significant counter reaction brewing.

Alot of what you share here speaks to me, if not all of it.  My BPD husband has always been about hating women's rights, etc., which surprised me because I did not see it in his dad or in his family.  He has told me all kinds of things about not being feminine, all of which have been incredibly degrading.

I am also noticing the remarks about the ticking time bomb and am wondering if it applies to me.  After an attempt at divorce this past year, I withdrew the paperwork.  It seemed at first that things were getting better in our marriage.  That lasted maybe 6 weeks before my BPD husband started back in.

He is ranting nearly constantly with all kinds of things of how I wronged him with trying to divorce him.  I am also struggling with anxiety and, with the verbal and emotional abuse, he has dealt out, I believe I nearly lost it mentally and emotionally myself this past year.  I am getting help from a trauma therapist and that is helping.  However, anything that triggers me with my BPD husband has an automatic impact on me.  My hands are shaking as I write this which has been my experience with anxiety in the past year.

After 39 years of pretty much pure hell with this man, I am wondering what I am doing still married to him when nothing seems better and everything seems like it is getting worse.  I am trying to keep the marriage intact as we have children and grandchildren.  My concern with divorcing is that my BPD husband will ramp up the connecting with children and grands.  He did this when we separated.  While I am glad he wants to have a relationship with them, I can also see the damage he has done to our children. I just don't see how our family could have any kind of decent relationship together if we divorce.

I am open to thoughts and ideas.  And like many who post here, I am hanging on by a thread.
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 09:10:58 AM »

That lasted maybe 6 weeks before my BPD husband started back in.

I am open to thoughts and ideas.  And like many who post here, I am hanging on by a thread.

Probably best to start a new thread to get into details.  My initial impression is that when the bold part happened, (he started back in) there was likely a continuation of a long term pattern (39 years is a long time).

In addition to starting a new thread, I would think that spending many months with a therapist to unpack those 39 years would be a wise move.  Figuring yourself out first will help you get an accurate picture of how your have been playing out your part in this relationship which will further empower you to make different choices about how you "do" the future of your relationship.

If you were in a divorce process, yet didn't continue with that divorce process when he "started back in" after 6 weeks of nice, well...that's going to be very complicated and time consuming to understand.

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest