Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 02:58:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: setting boundaries and moving forward  (Read 359 times)
firststep
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« on: May 16, 2019, 09:17:28 PM »

Hi. My sister displays many of the characteristics of BPD. After years of trying to help her (not very effectively) I am finally trying to set us on a new, kinder and more compassionate path. I sent an email that explained the impact her actions have on me, and told her I didn't want our relationship to continue on its current path. I provided a few examples and also told her she was very important to me and that I loved her. she responded in an unexpected way - she called, was very emotional but actually asked some questions. She tried gently pressing a few buttons (eg telling me she had considered self-harm and had a plan) but stopped when I didn't respond. She was genuinely (I think) shocked that she has had this impact on me for so long, and I acknowledged that I had handled things badly by not talking to her about it.

she lives interstate and I am flying to see her this weekend in hope we can start to set a new course. I have no idea what I'll be walking into. Has anyone been down tis road? I'd love some tips about how to manage what will be a very emotionally charged situation.
Kwamina
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 12:50:00 AM »

Hi firststep Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

I am glad you took this first step by joining our online community

In what ways have you tried to help your sister before?

BPD is a challenging disorder and can definitely affect people, it can take quite a toll on you dealing with a disordered family-member.

It becomes very clear though how much you love your sister and how much you want her to get better. At the same time you've also clearly reached your limit and need and want a change in your relationship with your sister.

We describe various tools on this site which can be very helpful when dealing with disordered family-members. The tools include communication techniques such as validation and S.E.T. and resources about setting boundaries, radical acceptance and mindfulness.

Has self-harm and suicidal ideation been an issue your sister has been struggling with before or was this the first time that she mentioned something like this?

The Board Parrot

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 09:37:50 PM »

Hi!  I am so sorry I missed this when you posted but glad to see Kwamina, our Board Parrot, missed nothing!

He gave you some good input and I hope you had some time to review things.

It is Saturday and I am wondering how things are going for you.  Let us know when you can.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest