Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 04:24:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't afford to ignore
Depression: Stop Being Tortured by Your Own Thoughts
Surviving a Break-up when Your Partner has BPD
My Definition of Love. I have Borderline Personality Disorder.
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: How do we know when we’re ready to open up to another Part 3  (Read 395 times)
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Dissolved

« on: May 19, 2019, 12:54:56 PM »

Part 2 is here:  https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=336148.0;all

Well, I saw her today but there was no “hello”. S4 was with me, and I’m not sure if I should ask her out in his presence. Anyway, we saw each other, but there were no words. God, I wish I had a healthy upbringing that taught me about confidence amongst many other things. My thoughts are turning over and over, of course. I’m not really afraid of rejection. I’m more afraid of making her uncomfortable if she’s not interested. I’m stuck in anticipation and I know that I need to resolve that. I’m also struggling with putting myself out there. No need to explain that. The thing is, this should be simple for me. Ask and deal with the response or outcome. Why is this so hard to do? When the opportunity presents itself I shy away from it. Maybe she’s shy like me. Maybe she’s interested but afraid to approach the situation like me. I don’t know her. Blah.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:10:10 AM by Harri » Logged

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 01:04:43 PM »

If you're waiting for her to make the first move, you could be waiting a long time.

Best to ask her out when you're by yourself.

You're out of practice and gunshy after what you've been through with your son's mother. Totally understandable.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:14:01 AM by Harri » Logged

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 01:13:18 PM »

Thanks, Cat. You’re right and I’ve always appreciated your pragmatism. I have S4 for an extended weekend for the upcoming Holiday. After that it’s time to  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) or get off the pot. I need to put myself out there for the simple fact of knowing that I’m still capable of it. Don’t misunderstand, I am very attracted to this woman. I’m just frustrated that something that should be so simple has become this difficult.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:10:47 AM by Harri » Logged

-a new friend
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »

Just make it low key. You’re stressing because you’re so attracted to her. Take one step at a time. Just think of having coffee with a peer—like a coworker or somebody who volunteers for a cause that you both work on. You’re just hanging out for a bit to enjoy each other’s company outside the confines of her work, and nothing more.

Now, things can possibly develop, but you don’t know that at this point. You’re just in to check out possibilities. And because there’s little risk, both in money and time, if it goes nowhere, then you make a clean exit and it’s not awkward when you see her at the store.

If there’s something there, you can ask her on a date. If you’re still unsure, make it a lunch date with an afternoon event—something casual that can allow you to go your separate ways before dark. Then, you can build from here, or not.

When you’re with her, ask her about herself—her family, her dreams, her plans. Something that turns off a lot of women is when men are just interested in them for their looks—it feels like just being a piece of meat. Granted it’s nice to feel attractive, but we want suitors to be curious about who we are, what we think, how we feel.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:11:00 AM by Harri » Logged

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 02:00:44 PM »

Thank you. I’m absolutely interested in her wants, hopes and dreams. I’m interested in getting to know her. I’ve always been interested in these things, but I’ve taken words at face value before. Things are different now. How about taking a walk together around town? I’m with you on an alcoholic drink. I don’t want that. Too risky.

You’re right. I’m just curious at this point. Right now, I just picture conversation.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:11:16 AM by Harri » Logged

-a new friend
zachira
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 02:10:37 PM »

As the man, you will likely have to be the one to ask her out. There are too many men out there who want a woman to ask them out because they don't really like the woman all that much and it takes them off the hook. I don't think you are one of those types, just saying some men are this way. I was telling a very wise man friend of mine recently, someone whose opinion I really respect, how a certain man has let me know I can ask him out, yet he is clearly not willing to ask me out. I am certain that this man views me as one of many women he wouldn't mind going out with until he finds someone he really wants to settle down with. My man friend agreed with me that it would be a good idea to forget this guy as my thinking is likely right on target.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:11:30 AM by Harri » Logged

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 02:57:51 PM »

Thanks, z. I understand that, and I want to be the one to ask. I’m a bit of a traditionalist. Don’t read too far into that. Chivalry. I believe a man should hold a door for a woman. I’ll put the brakes on philosophy there.

I think your friend is right. The man that you described has women in orbit. It’s like he’s flying multiple kites. Know what I’m saying? I had a close friend like this. Hence the word “had”.

It’s your call, but as a man I would suggest taking proper measures to distance yourself from the guy that wants YOU to ask him out. To you, what does a man wanting/manipulating a woman to ask him out tell you?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:11:45 AM by Harri » Logged

-a new friend
zachira
Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 03:37:01 PM »

If he wants me to ask him out, it tells me that he wants control to leave when he wants to without any blame because it will be my fault for initiating the relationship. He is not willing to be vulnerable or take responsibility for his part in the relationship. I think I am only on his radar when he runs into me. I think he is deathly afraid of intimacy. I have seen several recycles with him. He gets close and then distances himself, and the cycle starts all over again.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:11:59 AM by Harri » Logged

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 03:49:52 PM »

As a fairly traditional man, it’s more than having a place to lay the blame. It’s most likely a pattern that you’ve described. It’s a pattern, z. Avoid it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:12:11 AM by Harri » Logged

-a new friend
zachira
Ambassador

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 04:36:54 PM »

It's one thing to know and another to do it. For quite a while now I have been attracting people into my life  as friends that are able to have loving relationships and those that can't are wanting less of me. The market for men is pretty abysmal and there aren't that many men available that are able to have loving relationships as most of them are taken due to age. After the twenties, the people of both sexes that are available for relationships are not that healthy. I am way past the twenties in age. I find it best to accept that I may never have a relationship again and live my life to the fullest. This includes being the best person I can be and surrounding myself with like people, which could lead to having a loving relationship with a man or not. Certainly, I agree with you that I need to distance myself from those men that want to use me, because if I am spending my time with those types, even if it is just talking to them, I am sending the message that I do not value myself as somebody more deserving of a healthy relationship.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:12:24 AM by Harri » Logged

JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 04:54:47 PM »

You know, I find the market pretty abysmal as well. I wonder what’s going on there. There’s a divide, but why? Nature is perfect. Women and men are supposed to be drawn to one another. I don’t knock or judge anyone that lives outside of those lines. I would like to challenge you on whether or not there are healthy people out there. There are people out there, age appropriate, that have gone through similar things. I imagine that they’re quite scared to try. They don’t have or even think about resources like this. Don’t give up, z. He’s out there.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:12:35 AM by Harri » Logged

-a new friend
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 07:21:47 PM »

Pro tip from a very shy person:

Any time you are feeling self conscious with someone and you don’t want to feel that way, pretend you are interviewing them.

We all have our favorite interviewers: Terry Gross (NPR), Howard Stern (when he’s not being disgusting), Larry King, Late Night TV hosts. They all have a great skill of drawing people out and getting them to talk freely about themselves with humor, compassion, and spontaneity.

When I worked as a reporter for alternative newspapers, I had no problem calling experts in a variety of fields and asking them very detailed questions about their work. (Of course I had done preparation work so that I knew a tiny bit about what I was asking.)  

And I didn’t have any problem interviewing people about what they’d seen, heard, experienced.

Then I’d go to a party and have to socialize with people I didn’t know and I’d feel petrified and terribly awkward.

Then it occurred to me, why don’t I use my interviewing skills with them? And it works great! I get them talking and I relax and soon I’ve forgotten about being shy and the conversation is flowing smoothly and easily.

Over the years, it’s become more second nature, however there are still times I find myself feeling that shy awkwardness and then I remind myself to just put on my reporter’s hat.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:12:49 AM by Harri » Logged

WindofChange

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 09:25:32 PM »

Sorry, I'm a little behind on responding to the earlier convo about the asking out thing...JNChell, Can you stop by the store at a different time of day (or during the week) when it's less busy? I understand it will need to be a day when you don't have your son. Then she won't be stressed by being busy and you can kind of read how she responds to you. Like Cat Familiar said, coffee is safe with no pressure, and if there's something there, you can pursue it. I like the daytime date idea.
CF, I like the interviewing tip. I was a very shy kid. I grew out of much of it, but sometimes it rears its head in new situations.
Zachira, I'm sure your experience dealing with this guy has been a little frustrating and discouraging. Sounds like you've been given some good advice on how to deal with him, which is great. Friends are so helpful to bounce ideas off of and for helping us to see things we may be blinded to.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:13:04 AM by Harri » Logged

Be kind always.
WindofChange
Lucky Jim

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 11:15:07 AM »

Hey JNChell, You've received some great advice already from Cat, WoC and zachira, so I'll be brief.  I suggest you be your authentic self when you see your friend again.  Don't overthink it!  Suggest you strike up a casual conversation.  Maybe you've noticed something about her?  Maybe you have a question for her?  It's easy once you get the conversational ball rolling.

LJ

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Sandb2015

Relationship status: Living apart, kicked out on 12/19 after meeting 3/19/2015

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2019, 04:23:48 PM »

JNChell,

Man, woman, it doesn't matter, when you're attracted to someone, it creates a nervous feeling, nobody like rejection, anticipation of it makes it really tough.

Overthink it all you want or need, what's the worst that can happen.  The worst thing that is happening right now...overthinking.

It will be the great big buildup (now) to forgetting what the buildup was all about (after)...

Be yourself, be nervous you, strong you, whoever you know you are, just get past the anticipation.  I can appreciate your feelings, EVERY guy has been there.

You don't know her but I hope she's great, find out slowly.

You have a significant cheering section!

Just because you think it, doesn't make it true.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest