Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 05:45:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mental Health records and Court  (Read 362 times)
Doughboy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 05, 2019, 02:46:18 PM »

Actually and Ex significant other.

See my post history if you want the current details of this whole long situation.  Readers Digest is that I was Served with a Protection Order on 7/1.  I am of course challenging it and there are so many falsehoods, lies, misrepresentations that it should get thrown easily.  BUT...

In December she Self admitted to a Mental health floor of a Hospital and was there for 4 days, after a Suicide Idealization and extreme emotional regulation event. What I know for fact is that the Dr. gave her "I hate you, Don't leave me" while there and told me to get her a copy for home.  Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) weeks after getting out she started a Partial Hospitalization program of DBT...6.5 hrs a day, M-F for 5 weeks that went to 1-2hr group a week along with 1 hr with standard Counselor.  She mentioned in late January that she saw the BPD in her life.

She ended things in 2/22/2019 and one of the things she mentioned is that she did NOT have BPD and that I convinced the Dr of that. (Apparently in the 10 min she and talked to him together).

Anywho...I have no idea if she was ever "Officially" diagnosed.  I feel that if she was it could be a nice cap to ensuring that I get this PO removed. 

Does anyone know if such a thing can be requested by the "Defense" is a matter such as this?  Also, what is the process if it is possible?
MeandThee29

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 03:32:29 PM »

I think the reason that you likely didn't get any replies is that it really varies.

Getting someone's mental health records is a bit complicated because of doctor-patient confidentiality issues.

Your lawyer will know if that's worth pursuing or not.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 02:09:56 PM »

The other thing, too, is that courts tend to avoid stigmatizing mental health if it can be helped. When mental health records are used, from what I understand, there is usually expert witness testimony to explain why this particular diagnosis can create problems like the one you're there to resolve.

What are the terms of the PO?

Breathe.
Doughboy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 09:15:52 PM »

I am not allowed to communicate with her and any fashion or her daughters, who are 17 and 19. They're also for addresses I'm I'm not allowed to go to.

The section of time she used in her protection order coincides directly with time she would have been in the hospital for 4 days and then the 5 weeks after that she was doing partial hospitalization DBT.

It was three weeks after that DBT. That she ended things
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 06:28:16 PM »

One daughter is an adult, the other nearly so.  She can make demands on contact with her, perhaps her younger daughter too, but I doubt the court would allow a restriction in her petition between her adult daughter and you.  Her adult daughter would have to file for herself.

A valid question is what you are required to do should her daughters contact you.  If they choose to initiate contact with you, do you have to hang up or walk away?

Even if you don't know of a diagnosis, can you document her time while in the hospital or outpatient programs?  Just being in treatment ought to raise eyebrows even if all is not known.

My ex did that, made allegations.  My lawyer reasoned with me, "Do you want to talk to her?"  Of course I replied No.  After he explained that I risked an order up to 5 years, he suggested a settlement... (1) My preschooler's contact and visitation would be handled by the family court, not the civil court she had filed in, (2) I denied or did not admit to any of her allegations (3) no Findings were made by the court, (4) the order ended in mid-December, (5) the stay away order was filed as a type that could not be extended longer than the agreed length.  (Extending an existing protection order would otherwise be easier than filing a new allegation.)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest