Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 01:45:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Separate Maintenance Mediation in a few weeks  (Read 389 times)
Jersey G

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 05, 2019, 08:43:40 PM »

Hey BPD Friends- I need some counsel!  I have been separated from my husband for over a year and a half.  He has been diagnosed with Dependent PD with some Borderline traits.  For religious reasons, and to not completely lose my married children and grandchildren, I chose to pursue Separate Maintenance instead of divorce for now.  For those not familiar with this- it's basically a financial divorce.  Filing for SM will also enable me to stay on his medical insurance for the meanwhile- until I figure out benefits for myself.  My question is this- Can anyone give me counsel on mediating with someone with a PD?  I wasn't going to be in the same room with him, but I was counseled, given his dependency, that he would most likely be more compliant if he sees me.  If he doesn't see me, he may prolong the process of mediation- which runs $100 an hour. Any counsel is appreciated!
Thank you-
GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 12:34:29 AM »

Jersey G, my advice is to listen to your lawyer's counsrl.

That being said, I would ask...

What have you drilled down on re: being in the same room during mediation? How do YOU react when in his presence -- does it upset you, make it difficult to think (much less breathe?).

What is your intuition telling you?

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
mart555

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 10:29:09 PM »

Did you guys even discuss this in the past?  Chances are it will end up like negotiating with a terrorist.. 

MeandThee29

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 06:48:25 PM »

Bill Eddy (an authority on high-conflict divorce) says it's possible if it's structured well.

I've heard horror stories though. You have to have the right mediator.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »

Which of the BPD traits does he exhibit? That may determine some of your mediation strategy going forward.

One strategy is to have three categories for: 1) what you ask for (high); 2) what you actually want (medium). And 3) what you won't stand for (low).

What is your best guess for how he will be in mediation?

Breathe.
Jersey G

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 07:29:28 PM »

Thank you for your responses!  For some reason, I didn't see them until tonight.  It's actually perfect timing given my Separate Maintenance proceedings are tomorrow morning at 9:30.  My husband will be there with me for the beginning of the proceedings when the mediator will read the rules of SM.  We will then go to different areas of the courthouse.  At this point, the lawyers will communicate to each other, and I shouldn't have to see my husband.  I so appreciate your prayers! 

In answer to some of your questions, the BPD traits my husband exhibits are huge emotional swings.  He draws tremendous attention to himself thru tears and self-hatred.  People tend to pacify him which only fuels his behavior.  His comments are mainly self-deprecating. He will want to absolve himself of any responsibility by simply saying, "I didn't  mean it."  If he didn't mean his behavior or comments, then he will not allow anyone to express how his behavior or comments affected them.  If they do, that's when the anger shows up.  He greatly struggles with attunement...given his emotional maturity is apparently like an infant.  (Says his doctor)  He operates in base emotions...what he needs or believes he needs is his focus. Again, thank you for praying.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest