Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 06:58:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My adult son threatens me and is controlling the entire household  (Read 344 times)
KT-bug
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Widowed for 5 years.

« on: July 16, 2019, 02:26:39 PM »

My adult child has BPD. Because of financial constraints he is currently living with me. The truth is he refuses to get a job. And I have enabled this idea for more than 5 years.
For the past 2.5 years he has been living with me. For the first year his child's mother was here too along with the baby.
The girlfriend also has Bipolar D/O. She has had this diagnosis for about 15 years, she is being treated, at times she has had bad episodes.
The child is now 4 years old, and is learning about stalling techniques, when she doesn't want to do something. She uses temper tantrum yet, and lately some real power struggle issues have occurred.
I am frequently the bad guy. What ever I do is wrong and I get yelled at and threatened. There have been some physical abuse times also.
I know things have to change. I want things to change. I want my adult son to live on his own, support himself and his daughter, and have a satisfying  life.
I want to live on my own, and have the freedom to have friends over, freedom to cook what I like, and have my own life. At this time he is ruling and controlling the entire household.

I know I have let this all get out of hand, and I am asking for support and guidance to get out of this hole.
Thank you
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:33:56 PM by I Am Redeemed » Logged
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 04:08:40 PM »

Hi and welcome to the board!  I am sorry for what brings you here but I am glad you have taken the step of getting support for yourself.  You are in good company here as the parents are all working on coping with and trying to learn new ways of communicating with their child.

As you read and reach out to others here you will see that.  A really good place to start with reading is here:  Who Should Post on this board?

Right now, I want to make sure you are safe.  You mentioned physical violence and that your son controls your household.  Can you tell us more about this so we can better guide you?

I hope to hear more from you soon. 

In the meantime, Welcome

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 05:31:13 PM »

Hello Ktbug
I join Harri in welcoming you. It does sound like you have your hands full
 We can definitely talk about boundaries and self care and how to make your life better
 But like Harri says, the first priority is your physical safety. Are you safe? Do you need help finding resources ? We are here for you.
Hugs
Faith

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 10:35:05 PM »

Who commits the physical abuse and towards whom?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest