Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 02:58:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to hold on.  (Read 707 times)
boogs152

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« on: July 27, 2019, 04:33:29 AM »

Hey,

Just looking for a little support at the moment. This past week has been really hard for me emotionally. My partner with diagnosis  BPD is slipping again. The past 6 weeks he’s been acting quite out of character drinking everyday and self medicating his psychiatric medications. At first I thought it was just a phase but he seems to be getting worse. He collapsed twice this week. He’s really tried hard to seek help but he only seems to get so far before regression starts again.
Me... I’m fading... every time he self destructs I find it harder and harder to hold on emotionally. How do I hold on? How do I keep white knuckling through it all?

18 months of sheer grit... holding on thinking that perhaps I would be different from the rest and be strong enough to get through but I’m walking on the edge now. I just want to run sometimes.

He has no one... no family... no home.
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 07:12:13 AM »

Hey..support is here! 

What do you mean "collapsed"?  That sounds really scary?  How did you care for him after those collapses?  How did you care for yourself?

Caregiving is a tough job don't you think?

Who do you have in your corner?

I'll check back on you later today.

Best,

FF

boogs152

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 04:20:00 PM »

Hey FF,

Thanks for responding. My pwBPD has collapsed or passed out from drinking and doubling his medications simultaneously.. I’m assuming that this combination is messing with his blood pressure and causing him to faint. The first time it happened I just thought he slipped and fell but on the second occasion when it occurred a few days later I realised that he was fainting or blacking out after taking a few steps. It was scary. I helped him into bed and made a phone call to a medical helpline asking if he’d had a possible overdose.
The following morning I told him that it was time that he stopped drinking and self medicating to which he agreed but it was only a few hours later that he’d bought another bottle of wine. When I asked him why,he acted like I was trying to make him feel guilty or making a drama. In his frustration he told me to pour the wine down the drain. I refused saying that that was up to him and that he was an adult and knew right from  wrong. So as predicted he proceeded to drink the entire bottle of wine took his meds early and went to bed.
I sick of this endless cycle of self destruction. It’s never ends. It was only recently that he seemed to stabilising and my stress levels were halved. It was such a relief. It lasted about ten days but I was feeling more like myself again.

Anyway... we’re back down s*#t creek again. I just want him gone some days. I want this all to stop. I want to get off this ride I’m so tired
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 05:59:19 PM »

I want this all to stop. I want to get off this ride I’m so tired

Do you control if you get on or off the ride? 

Do you control if this stops?

I have to say this seems like a frustrating situation to be involved with.  What do you do for self care?

Best,

FF

boogs152

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 09:20:59 PM »

I realise that I have control. I realise that I have a choice but I don’t know what to control or what choices to make.
-In regards to self care... sometimes I’m better at it than other times. I’m okay with being alone and doing my own thing, seeing friends, bike riding, film, restaurants etc. But how do I practice self care WITHIN the relationship?
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 09:47:00 PM »

I think I get what you are asking and I struggled with that for a long time.

Basically...when my wife is doing well (which is luckily most of the time now)...we have a great time together.

When she "goes off the reservation"...I sort of shrug my shoulders and go do my own thing while whatever "fire" that I don't understand burns itself out.  My goal is to give her no reinforcement for a dysregulation.

So...is it right to say that I temporarily "leave" the relationship for half a day..or couple days.  I'm not really ignoring her completely, but just testing the waters from time to time.

I can pretty much figure out when she is back to baseline...and then I move forward like it never happened.

How would it look for you if you tried something like that in your r/s?  What challenges do you see?

Best,

FF

boogs152

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 05:42:49 AM »

I guess I could try “checking out” of the relationship while he spins out.I never thought about it like that.

Another thing... he tells me that he is feeling suicidal quite regularly. I’ve become quite numb to his suicidal ideation. He does not self harm or make threats. He said it again yesterday and I felt nothing. All I could do was look at him without a response.The moment passed without further discussion.Is that normal?
Still Here

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 07:42:16 AM »

Very normal in my case. SI is frequently used to try to keep many of us in line when we try to check out or create some distance like FF was talking about.
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 11:19:27 AM »

Excerpt
Another thing... he tells me that he is feeling suicidal quite regularly. I’ve become quite numb to his suicidal ideation. He does not self harm or make threats. He said it again yesterday and I felt nothing. All I could do was look at him without a response.The moment passed without further discussion.Is that normal?
I would not say it is normal but I do think it is fairly common.  Giving voice to his feelings can act like a pressure release regardless of the response he may get from others at the time. 

The best way I know of to deal with these episodes it to say something along the lines of:  "I care about you and I know this is tough.  I am not trained or equipped to help you deal with these feelings so I need to ask you if you want me to call an ambulance or take you to the ER". 

Saying "I'll call the ambulance" is gentler than saying I'll call 911 though the result is the same.  Lots of people have visions of 911 entailing lots of flashing red light, fire trucks, police, etc and that can be a huge deterrent (even though all of that usually does happen).

Can you read through our SI protocol on how to respond to people who are suicidal?  https://bpdfamily.com/discussions/search-info3.htm

Scroll down to the part that says:  If you are helping someone with suicidal thoughts:

Take it seriously.

Myth: “The people who talk about it don't do it.” Studies have found that more than 75% of all completed suicides did things in the few weeks or months prior to their deaths to indicate to others that they were in deep despair. Anyone expressing suicidal feelings needs immediate attention.

Myth: “Anyone who tries to kill himself has got to be crazy.” Perhaps 10% of all suicidal people are psychotic or have delusional beliefs about reality. Most suicidal people suffer from the recognized mental illness of depression; but many depressed people adequately manage their daily affairs. The absence of “craziness” does not mean the absence of suicide risk.

“Those problems weren't enough to commit suicide over,” is often said by people who knew a completed suicide. You cannot assume that because you feel something is not worth being suicidal about, that the person you are with feels the same way. It is not how bad the problem is, but how badly it's hurting the person who has it.

Remember: suicidal behavior is a cry for help.

Myth: “If a someone is going to kill himself, nothing can stop him.” The fact that a person is still alive is sufficient proof that part of him wants to remain alive. The suicidal person is ambivalent - part of him wants to live and part of him wants not so much death as he wants the pain to end. It is the part that wants to live that tells another “I feel suicidal.” If a suicidal person turns to you it is likely that he believes that you are more caring, more informed about coping with misfortune, and more willing to protect his confidentiality. No matter how negative the manner and content of his talk, he is doing a positive thing and has a positive view of you.

Be willing to give and get help sooner rather than later.

Suicide prevention is not a last minute activity. All textbooks on depression say it should be reached as soon as possible. Unfortunately, suicidal people are afraid that trying to get help may bring them more pain: being told they are stupid, foolish, sinful, or manipulative; rejection; punishment; suspension from school or job; written records of their condition; or involuntary commitment. You need to do everything you can to reduce pain, rather than increase or prolong it. Constructively involving yourself on the side of life as early as possible will reduce the risk of suicide.

Listen.

Give the person every opportunity to unburden his troubles and ventilate his feelings. You don't need to say much and there are no magic words. If you are concerned, your voice and manner will show it. Give him relief from being alone with his pain; let him know you are glad he turned to you. Patience, sympathy, acceptance. Avoid arguments and advice giving.

ASK: “Are you having thoughts of suicide?”

Myth: “Talking about it may give someone the idea.” People already have the idea; suicide is constantly in the news media. If you ask a despairing person this question you are doing a good thing for them: you are showing him that you care about him, that you take him seriously, and that you are willing to let him share his pain with you. You are giving him further opportunity to discharge pent up and painful feelings. If the person is having thoughts of suicide, find out how far along his ideation has progressed.

If the person is acutely suicidal, do not leave him alone.

If the person is acutely suicidal, do not leave them alone - drive the person to the nearest emergency department or other service facility. They may be hesitant - that is normal. The local suicide hotlines can advise you of the best facility.

If the situation is life threatening, or the person refuses to go for care, or you are unable to transport them, call 911.

Please do not use emergency medical services to teach anyone a lesson.
If the means to commit suicide are present, try to get rid of them.

Urge professional help.

If someone is acting suicidal or talking of suicide, it is vitally important to get them into professional care at the first signs. Like many disorders, early detection and treatment yields better outcomes. Persistence and patience may be needed to seek, engage and continue with as many options as possible. In any referral situation, let the person know you care and want to maintain contact.

From crisis to recovery.

Most people have suicidal thoughts or feelings at some point in their lives; yet less than 2% of all deaths are suicides. Nearly all suicidal people suffer from conditions that will pass with time or with the assistance of a recovery program. There are hundreds of modest steps we can take to improve our response to the suicidal and to make it easier for them to seek help. Taking these modest steps can save many lives and reduce a great deal of human suffering.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Still Here

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 09:48:44 AM »

Take it seriously.

I agree with this, and I think it's very important for me to modify my last response.  When I say that I generally walk away when my DbpdW threatens suicide, it's only after I do a check to see if she appears to actually be intent on hurting herself (which she has done), or is trying to use the threat to manipulate a situation (which she has done a lot of).

Agree 100% that saying "Ambulance" or "would you like me to take you to the ER?" is better than saying 911.  Nine times out of 10, the response tells me if I'm dealing with something I need to attend to, or if the suicidal threats are being used to manipulate me. 

The hardest thing for me to  learn is that is she does want to end her life, there is probably not much I will be able to do to stop her, and she might not announce it ahead of time.  It's such a powerful force.  I think we need to the extra careful to protect our BPD loved ones, and then extra careful to protect ourselves.

It's been a bit since you posted.  Are things going ok?
boogs152

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 02:58:38 AM »

I appreciate the points that have been made in regards to suicide protocol but quite often when I asked... my partner  won’t accept medical help after he has told me that he “wants to end it” as he always puts it.

There’s been a lot going on here on my end. So much. The situation with My BPD partner is quite consuming. He told me this morning that he cheated on me a month ago. It was with another patient that was staying in his psychiatric ward whilst they were getting treatment.

I have previously been in a poly relationship so I’m not like most people in a moral sense but I was shocked that he was willing to risk hurting me and losing our relationship by hiding or lying for a fling. I’m kind of exhausted. He’s has a lot of anxiety due to medication and his doctor can’t seem to bring it down so he
self medicates.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 09:56:49 AM »

It's a heavy burden when you feel responsibility for keeping your loved one alive.     What positives are you getting out of this relationship?

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 11:44:13 AM »

I appreciate the points that have been made in regards to suicide protocol but quite often when I asked... my partner  won’t accept medical help after he has told me that he “wants to end it” as he always puts it.

What choice do you have in this matter? 

You offer help..he refuses and then you...?

I see significant things you have control over, yet I'm curious how you see it before I share my thoughts.

How many times has the SI thing happened?

Best,

FF

boogs152

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 05:29:58 PM »

Exactly... what choice do I have other than to offer help... he usually won’t take it when he says he’s suicidal. All I can do is move on until the issue arises again as it always does.

In the past if I needed to make a new post I would always put it in the “Bettering a relationship” thread but this is the first time I’ve posted in the “tolerating and conflicted” thread.

I told my partner this morning that I now realise that he loves his pain more than he loves me. He didn’t respond. He just looked blankly away,taken aback.

What have I been getting from this relationship? That’s a good question. He would be one of the kindest, nicest person that I’ve ever met. But the constant turmoil of his illness leaves little room for a relationship most of the time.

I’m angry right now that he would sleep with someone recently and risk everything we’ve been through and risk hurting me too. He literally hasn’t another soul in his life but me... the family wont deal with it so it’s been down to me to sit at the hospitals and be a caretaker... to be the rock... the solid stable one. The one that swallows down her own needs. I did this willingly despite the exhaustion. But now I’m feel angry and betrayed... not about the other woman... not that... we’ve got way bigger issues at hand... it’s the betrayal of it all that angers me. That he would risk losing me after everything I’ve willingly given. I feel disposable.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 05:38:09 PM by boogs152 » Logged
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 08:58:20 AM »

Exactly... what choice do I have other than to offer help... he usually won’t take it when he says he’s suicidal. All I can do is move on until the issue arises again as it always does.

I would challenge you to list out some other choices you can make.  Please understand I'm asking what CAN you do...not what you "want" to do or what he "is ok with" or "agrees with".

This is very different than what you will do.  Let's evaluate possibilities and see what is wise.

I’m angry right now that he would sleep with someone recently and risk everything we’ve been through and risk hurting me too.

I'm so sorry. 

Did he "risk" hurting you..or did he actually hurt and betray you?

the family wont deal with it so it’s been down to me to sit at the hospitals and be a caretaker... to be the rock... the solid stable one.
Have you tested this theory.  A test would be where you step away and see if he is truly alone at the hospital. 

Sometimes families don't act because they see someone else acting...so they "don't have to".

we’ve got way bigger issues at hand...

Again...massive hugs...  

Can you list out the issues you are thinking of when you write the above.

Best,

FF

AskingWhy

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 10:12:00 PM »

What have I been getting from this relationship? That’s a good question. He would be one of the kindest, nicest person that I’ve ever met. But the constant turmoil of his illness leaves little room for a relationship most of the time.

At a certain point, one must decide what to do with a R/S with a pwBPD. 

You might want to read the book by Lundy Bancroft, "Should I Stay or Should I Go?: A Guide to Knowing if Your Relationship Can--and Should--be Saved."

https://www.amazon.com/Should-Stay-Relationship-Can-Should-be/dp/042523889X/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=lundy+bancroft&qid=1564628943&s=books&sr=1-4

One of the most important questions you must ask yourself is, "Do you think you deserve better?"

I felt more empowered once I started to understand I was not the problem.

The companion book by Bancroft is about the dynamics of abuse, and I recommend that as well. 

AskingWhy

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 12:18:05 PM »

It's a heavy burden when you feel responsibility for keeping your loved one alive.     What positives are you getting out of this relationship?

Cat's advice is important.  For partners of pwBPD, it becomes necessary to assess what we are getting out of the R/S.
boogs152

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2019, 04:35:13 PM »

Thanks everyone. Your words help clarify things more. It’s been mentioned here that I should consider the idea of deserving better. When it comes to BPD... how do I relate my situation or current turn of events to radical acceptance?
boogs152

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 07:50:39 PM »

I feel terrible. I’m so down. Everything is so hard. I keep hoping that things will improve. They do momentarily but always always return to struggle. We’re always trying to get through something... My pwBPD has been in bed most of the week. He’s despondent and negative. Hates leaving home and is almost unbearable when he does. This behaviour isn’t unusual. Last year he spent nearly three months in his room (he insists on us having separate rooms)and barely spoke to me. He would only leave his room if I was taking a shower or to eat food. We decided to see a film last week which was unusual and he spent most of the time getting up and leaving from anxiety and then eventually left before the film finished. He only likes early dinner around 4:30 and is a nightmare if I suggest an early dinner at a restaurant for a change. Which we’ve done maybe 4 times in the entire 18 months that we’ve been together.

It’s so full on.
I’m so worn down and tired.

It’s so hard. 18 months...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:56:44 PM by boogs152 » Logged
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 07:57:37 PM »

What keeps you in this relationship? It sounds like there is little benefit to you and a tremendous amount of responsibility for him.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
boogs152

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 08:29:48 PM »

Hi Cat,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Nothing is keeping me in the relationship. Nothing... it’s reasonable to assume so. But how do I pull away from a person who also is so beautiful at times? This is the torture of it all. How do I resolve it all in my mind and make the break? If we break up he will have no home. He has no friends or family.

Also, what do you mean by a tremendous amount of responsibility for him?

Big thanks ❤️
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »

So you’ve been together for 18 months. During that time, he’s spent 3 months in his room and barely spoke to you.

He does self destructive behavior, drinking excessively and overmedicating with pharmaceuticals.

You’ve been out to dinner four times during your relationship and he is unable or unwilling to leave home.

You see glimmers of a beautiful person occasionally, but the day to day grind of living with someone so dysfunctional is grinding you down.

He has no friends or family and you are concerned for his welfare should you choose not to remain in the relationship.

What would you tell a close friend if she told you this and asked your advice?

boogs152

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 03:20:19 PM »

Run
boogs152

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2019, 02:57:07 AM »

My head says run and my heart says stay.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2019, 03:50:51 AM »

My head says run and my heart says stay.

Are those the only options?

Best,

FF

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 09:46:00 AM »

I'm curious about his financial picture. How is he able to stay in bed for such prolonged periods of time? Does he not work?

And you say he has no family. Nor does he have friends. Do you suppose there is a good reason that he doesn't have friends?

So you feel responsible for not only making sure that he stays alive, but also that he has a place to live?

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2019, 03:00:31 PM »

Staff only This Thread has reached its maximum length and is now locked. The conversation continues here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=339128.0

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest