Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 21, 2024, 12:51:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minor setback  (Read 379 times)
Masang M

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 31, 2019, 06:22:33 AM »

My BpdH got triggered last night at DBT group and I started the job from hell! Because I’m upset it triggered him further black/white thinking, starting to shut down/disassociate very self centric attitude. . I’m trying to not let his set back bother me except I’m interwoven in this one because I’m seriously considering leaving this new position as the company culture is awful. The thought of me not working until I find something else has added to his trigger and I’m not sure how to balance this. I go to school in an accelerated program 15 weeks in 5, volunteer and now have job from hell. So I’m not sure what to do still pretty new to BPD and for the most part having great success with DPT.
Thanks
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Scarlet Phoenix
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Together 9 years

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 04:46:24 PM »

Hi Masang M. That's a lot happening at once  I'm sorry your new job is so horrible! That sucks.

You know, we can't always make the relationship great or even somewhat good. Sometimes we just have to settle for not making it a lot worse. Do what you have the capacity to do. That's okay, and that's enough. Since it sounds like you have a lot to deal with right now. If you feel up to making efforts not to activly invalidate him, that's great. Like saying here and there "That's awful! Right now I have to [insert activity, like taking a shower, getting some fresh air to be able to listen with a clear head, sleeping off the blistering head ache ...]. I'll be all ears tonight/tomorrow/this weekend". Or "you matter to me, hearing what you have to say matters to me. Right now I'm afraid I can't give it my full attention. I will at [insert new time]". It doesn't have to be what I wrote here, but something that sounds natural for you.
If you're not feeling up to it at the moment, that's really fine. Maybe just an honest "right now it sucks, I wish I could give you more answers" and retreat.

'Reatreat' is just for you, if it's exhausting for you to stay and listen.

And on a good note, great news about DPT! Would you mind sharing some?

~~ The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; who strives valiantly; who errs; who comes short again and again ... and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly ~~ Become who you are ~~
Masang M

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 05:35:32 PM »

Thank you Scarlet Phoenix
That was what I needed to hear, especially since he gets pretty anxious when I’m quiet. I did ask him to work on that with his therapist and about giving me my “space” if I’m emotional, exhausted or quiet just to be ok with it and that it’s not about him.
As for DBT he has jumped in with everything, it has really helped him to cope and start to recognize some of his negative behaviors, there seems to be less down times in our relationship. Big stressors such as now are a hurdle but not nearly as they use to be. A weird thing is he has started to remember dreams which is causing restless sleep, I’m hopeful that will get better as time goes on. 
Scarlet Phoenix
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Together 9 years

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 05:55:33 PM »

That's great that you have already said something about it. I would guess that he can spin out getting really anxious, which makes it hard for you when you are not doing so well yourself.   
Big stressors definitely ramp things up. It's wonderful news that the two of you are already managing better than before. Small steps will make big changes in time. He seems to have taken to the DBT therapy, looking at himself and his own behaviours   He recently got into therapy if I understand it right? If that's the case, it's normal that he's out of sorts for a while, more anxious for example. Just so you know.

~~ The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; who strives valiantly; who errs; who comes short again and again ... and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly ~~ Become who you are ~~
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest