Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 04:52:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Set Statements  (Read 377 times)
pest947

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Split 2 Recycles

« on: August 16, 2019, 12:30:46 PM »

My BPD Loved one has been painting me black something fierce this week. It started when she thought I was not paying enough attention to her and escalated when I tired to explain my side. This is of course untrue but I took longer than normal lat Thursday.  I was nice, not yelling, but it was defensive and as I have learned here does not work with BPD>  I already sent these after minimal response from my BPS loved one. I have remained cheerful in loving in my responses  since even though she ha been distant and terse. This has happened several times before its like she has a 3 to 6 months cycle of this behavior. Anyway these are my SET statements and I already sent them. Just looking for advice and encouragement.

>> >> >> >>

“Good Morning” Love. I can see that you are upset with me and while I understand why you are upset, the way we have been going on is ineffective. I understand that you have felt like I have not present and that you could not count on which “me” you are getting from day to day. That must be frustrating to feel that way. However, I would ask that you look back on our call logs and texts and see that I have been there for you, calling you present and supportive the whole time leading up to last Thursday.  Even the comments I shared with you about “being myself” were around the physical effects of getting off SSRI that we talked about before and not my state of mind. This has felt like a very sudden turn to me and feels very different then leading up to this point.

I understand that you prefer communicating on the phone and I know this frustrates you. However, it has been difficult to know when to talk this week with the new schedule and minimal communication we have had. I love you, I want to see you, talk to you, be there with you, for you and celebrate with you and the family. Heck, I already bought gifts for you and Daniel. However, I have not felt welcomed at all in the way that I have been treated this week. I need to be good to myself and not put myself in a position where I feel that I am not being treated well and my thoughts are not being heard either. It has really put me at a loss as to what to do. Remember when this has happened before and how bad it felt after? That is not what I want. I love you.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 01:37:49 PM »

Excerpt
I can see that you are upset with me and while I understand why you are upset, the way we have been going on is ineffective
However
However
However
That is not what I want.

a person on the receiving end of this letter will hear little more than "what you are feeling/thinking/doing is wrong, here is what im feeling/thinking/doing and why its right". its JADEy, and it is defensive.

Excerpt
It started when she thought I was not paying enough attention to her and escalated when I tired to explain my side.

you dont need SET for this. if there is a good reason, it is worth explaining, but not more than once. if shes feeling you havent paid attention, that isnt something shes right or wrong about; its just how she feels. you dont need to defend yourself against how she feels.

just listen. ask validating questions (https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=273415.0). in essence, give her attention in that moment. maybe top it off with a gesture...take her out for a good time, that sort of thing.

make sense?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest