Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
September 06, 2024, 11:45:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still angry after 3-4 years  (Read 735 times)
elfyguy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2019, 03:07:58 AM »

Closure is very important to me. In order for me to get closure I had to tell her how I felt and express my anger. I sent her one final text after she told me she had met someone. It was not a nice text as I pulled no punches and probably hurt her feelings. It basically destroyed any chance of us ever getting back together.
Hey Coldknight. I would have liked to end it your way.  Smiling (click to insert in post)
elfyguy

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2019, 03:18:07 AM »

Hey elfyguy,
  I'm two years NC, and I'm two years into my divorce. My divorce is complicated, and I won't go into it here because I'd end up co-opting the thread.  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)
  I have residual anger, meaning that normally during the day I don't feel all that angry, but then something can happen--something can remind me of my STBX or I find out something new about the reality of my marriage, my Prenup, or something else--and then I do feel angry.
  For me, the anger helps ensure that I won't get into a relationship that is as harmful as this one has been. I think it keeps the  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) front and center, and I think that's helpful.
  That said, I also feel sad or happy at times regarding the marriage.
  Honestly, now that I've written all this down, I realize first that I'm in touch with all my emotions regarding the marriage and, for that matter, my life.
  I can still feel sad about my mother dying more than fifty years ago. I use all the emotions regarding the marriage or anything in my work (I'm a writer.)
  Okay, I think maybe I need more coffee. It occurs to me that this post has become quite circular.
  I think there may very well be a twinge of anger for me and possibly you for the rest of my life. A "twinge," by the way doesn't refer to the intensity of the anger rather the duration.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
TMD
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you're doing well and are in touch with your emotions. Indeed, I find it quite useful as well.
elfyguy

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2019, 03:34:42 AM »

Yes, I think so too.
Yes I think so too. I'm familiar with the idea you mentioned about appropriate anger.
Yes, there's often a lot of placating the pwBPD by the caregiver. Personally—I think there's more just trying to stay afloat sometimes rather than be angry. Anger is pretty tiring too. It's quite off-putting as well. There's the old shortcut that I'm sure quite a few of us nons here are familiar with—when we see someone doing a lot of something, e.g., physical abuse, anger tantrums, over-drinking, spousal abuse, it seems quite natural to try go the "immediate opposite" direction to whatever negative thing we're perceiving. I can see a similar thing with the anger—e.g., the BP is so violently angry, therefore I need to be excessively giving/complicit/peaceful because "I'm nothing like that".

I'm more familiar with that kind of reaction in a family system, but my experience was a bit resembling that, looking back. If the relationship was like a boat, then my ex seemed to bring a heap of aggression to the boat of the relationship, and there wasn't any more room for me to have my say. A lot of things seemed to be that way.

Of course, here on detaching/learning, there's a lot of people who have heaps of anger. And probably appropriately so if you look at it from the Aristotelian lens. I think it's a difficult one to manage because anger is often more destructive than constructive—and yes while detachment involves destruction of the togetherness connection in a way—it's important to have some bottom line for ourselves for our anger and move forward in whatever areas of grieving we're each at.

Moreover if people aren't following a grieving stage framework (many people don't)—then it's easy to get stuck in the anger/attacking area and not go on to the constructive things like introspection and creative action.
Same here. I think the more years out—the more these feelings are like passing tides. Glad to be of company.  Smiling (click to insert in post)
I remember, I was at a beckon, her best friend was at her beckon, her father and her mother. Anyone who wasn't was her enemy. She was angry so much of the time. It's interesting how they need the attention of everyone around. Anger is an interesting emotion. If it leads you, it's destructive, but it's also gives a ton of energy. The first year into the breakup, I used to punch a punching bag at the gym. Now though, I just talk about it and try feel it. Glad to be of like minded company too.
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2019, 05:45:24 PM »

Staff only

This thread has reached the posting limit and has been locked. Part 2 is here:

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=339035.0

We are more than just our stories.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest