Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 09:18:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relapse  (Read 386 times)
Zabava

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« on: September 15, 2019, 10:14:18 PM »

Hi all,

Just looking for some tips on coping with setbacks in the recovery process.  Ever since I went home I feel like I've been off track.  I have made some bad decisions, both personally and professionally.  I have been in a very dysregulated state emotionally and have acted irrationally as a result.  Unlike past episodes of crazy, I have come back to reality more quickly.  I reached out here and to my family and friends for support and was pleasantly surprised to find that people care. 

At the same time I feel so discouraged.  I want off the emotional roller coaster. 

Kwamina
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 10:26:58 PM »

Hi Zabava Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Unlike past episodes of crazy, I have come back to reality more quickly.  I reached out here and to my family and friends for support and was pleasantly surprised to find that people care.  

What you say here is very positive and shows that you've actually already made significant progress, have new resources at your disposal and you're also utilizing these resources Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) You are able and willing to acknowledge and articulate what you're going through and are taking steps to mitigate the issues you face. Another Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

You are concerned about what you perceive as a relapse. However, when you take a bird's eye view of things, can you then perhaps also see the progress you've made?

You've been through a lot in your life and the reality for many if not all of us children of disordered parents is, that our healing not only isn't linear, it likely requires ongoing maintenance. Some days will be better than others, the important things is to keep on trucking as our Panda39 once famously said on here when responding to another member.

It might also help to consider these words from the often quoted Pete Walker:
"Be patient with a slow recovery process: it takes time in the present to become un-adrenalized, and considerable time in the future to gradually decrease the intensity, duration and frequency of flashbacks. Real recovery is a gradually progressive process (often two steps forward, one step back), not an attained salvation fantasy. Don't beat yourself up for having a flashback."

The Board Parrot

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Zabava

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 05:08:18 PM »

Thanks Kwamina,

I ended up leaving a childcare job soon after starting and it has triggered a lot of anxiety and shame for me. I have a job in a school that I love but is part time and so I took a second job.

I left because it was a terrible environment for kids.  It was overcrowded and dirty and I was asked to falsify documents to pass health and safety inpections.  Staff spoke harshly to and about the kids and there was no adequate supervision of kids arriving and departing. I felt like I really messed up by taking the job in the first place.  I haven't quit a job without notice since I was a teenager.

But since quitting I have discovered that several former employees complained to authorities about conditions at the centre and that people often quit after a few days because it is such a toxic workplace.  I blamed myself for something that was out of my control and in my mind saw it is as evidence of my defectiveness.

I'm trying to stop the shame spiral and learn from this experience and I realize that I never had a healthy model of how to handle adversity.  My bpd parent treated every setback as a catastrophe and a reason to freak out whether it was a minor issue or not.  So I think every mistake I make feels more diastrous than it really is.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest