Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 01:54:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help/advice/someone to talk to  (Read 433 times)
MommyinTN

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: September 15, 2019, 11:56:00 PM »

We are fairly sure my Mom has BPD. We have had issues off and on. I’m 39, 2 small children. Been married for several years.

She seems to be spiraling. Her entire family, my dad’s entire family and now all of her 3 kids are on her “hate” list. She’s barely speaking to anyone. She’s even turned on her elderly parents who were usually her allies.

We went NC earlier this summer after some horribly ridiculous crap she pulled. The family has all sided with me. That’s why she’s mad.

I just need people to talk to. Our therapist quit taking patients. We are looking for another but emotionally I am facing that I may be losing my parents (who when she’s not like this are quite wonderful, involved grandparents) entirely.

Can I ask some questions of those with similar experiences?

1.) Is it realistic for me to hope for a relationship with her for me and my kids?

2.) My dad is completely in on this. Are enablers capable of believing this crap? Is it just for his survival? Why does he help her carry out her plans that hurt us? (Stalking, nasty mail, emails, etc)

3.) What happens when they truly isolate themselves? Except for dad she’s got no one. Her latest threats to me bring in the family doctor or our mutual occasional house cleaner. She’s lost all of her family clout.

Thank y’all. Being. active on here again may help us. I hope.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 12:12:37 AM »

I didn't experience this,  but what from I've seen here, your dad is indeed an enabler for survival, survival of his primary relationship, which is his wife.  

What's the deal with the family doctor? Do you know this doctor? I'd be tempted to call her bluff, but that might be engaging in her drama making. Engaging in her triangulation.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 01:36:40 PM by Turkish, Reason: Typo » Logged

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
MommyinTN

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 04:27:49 PM »

Nothing. She just told me our mutual doctor thinks I’m crazy. I am not bringing anything up because she hasn’t spoken to us since June.
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 01:19:39 PM »

Hi MommyinTN!  Welcome new member (click to insert in post) Hope you find the support you're needing right now! My situation is different (uBPD MIL) but I know firsthand how BPD can tear a family apart.

She seems to be spiraling. Her entire family, my dad’s entire family and now all of her 3 kids are on her “hate” list. She’s barely speaking to anyone. She’s even turned on her elderly parents who were usually her allies.

Is "spiraling" a new development?

1.) Is it realistic for me to hope for a relationship with her for me and my kids?

It sounds like this is what you want, and from what I've read on this board it is very realistic. The challenge might not be the realism of it, but what the relationship would look like.

2.) My dad is completely in on this. Are enablers capable of believing this crap? Is it just for his survival? Why does he help her carry out her plans that hurt us? (Stalking, nasty mail, emails, etc)

It is so hurtful when flying monkeys swoop in and carry out pwBPD's plans! My husband enables his mom because it's his only normal. He has been conditioned to behave in a way that meets her needs. He's a rescuer, she's a waif. He feels good when she feels good. Understanding motivation lends perspective but I'm not sure it helps the hurt. What do you think your dad's motivation is?

3.) What happens when they truly isolate themselves? Except for dad she’s got no one. Her latest threats to me bring in the family doctor or our mutual occasional house cleaner. She’s lost all of her family clout.

No expert, but most people are self-preserving in the end. Do you genuinely feel that she'll go through with the isolation?

It sounds like you're really worried about her. Thanks for reaching out. You're not alone!

pj

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Methuen

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 07:15:12 PM »

Hi MommyinTN Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

I can hear your frustration and concern.  It's such an added layer of stress when you have a young family and other responsibilities in your life...

Excerpt
Is it realistic for me to hope for a relationship with her for me and my kids?
A relationship is probably realistic, but maybe it will look a little different than the way you are currently envisioning it? (if she is BPD)

Our situations are all unique.  I am 57, and my uBPD mom is an 83 yr old waif type.  I finally hit my bottom with her this summer, and it forced me to accept the fact that I had to completely let go of my expectations of her, and be the one to change, or else go crazy, or move away.  I was actually at the point where I kept talking with my husband about moving away from town just to get away from my 83 yr old mother...she was always inside my head...and it was torture.  As a first step, I have spent the summer educating myself about BPD, and it has led me to a lot of realizations, including that I need to use new communication skills with her.   I have spent a lot of time on this website with the resources offered about tools and strategies for managing relationships with BP's. I have also read "stop walking on eggshells", and the "DBT workbook" (Dialectical Behavior Therapy), and have ordered some other books which I hope to "eventually" get around to reading.  I feel that if I am willing to change how I interact with her because I better understand her BPD, I can maybe have "some kind" of relationship with her...?   But it will not ever look like the relationships my friends have with their non-BP mothers.  That's just a fact, and I've simply accepted it.  Finding this website and community has made a huge difference for me, because I no longer feel alone with this problem.
 While I don't know, I am hopeful that while relationships with BPD's pose extra challenges, they have the best chance of working if the non-BP's make some effort to acquire new skills to work with the extra challenges.  I was pretty desperate for some answers and solutions to my uBPD mom problem so learning about BPD is helping me, because I was ready to run from her.   Having said that, my cousin, who's mom is sister to my mom, has been completely N/C with her mom for about 7 years now, and likely to stay that way.  Every situation is a little different, and always evolving I suspect.  I also believe her situation was worse than mine.

Excerpt
My dad is completely in on this. Are enablers capable of believing this crap? Is it just for his survival? Why does he help her carry out her plans that hurt us? (Stalking, nasty mail, emails, etc)

My dad did this too sometimes.  My parents were married over 50 years.  To make a long story short, I feel my dad was a really good person (his good qualities are probably the reason why I'm non-BP), loved his wife unconditionally, and believed his role as a husband was to support her.  She often treated him terribly.  He always forgave her.  Towards the end of his life, he was diagnosed with dementia.  She couldn't handle the stress, wouldn't accept help, and became abusive towards him.  One day early in his dementia, he asked me to take him to the Dr. and told his story to a young Dr.  The Dr listenened and told him, "it sounds like your wife has BPD."  I can't explain why our fathers supported their wives in some of their hurtful behaviors towards us kids, but in the case of my father, I think he just, over time, became accustomed to her behaviors, which when repeated over years, became "normalized".  Maybe they get too tired too fight.  A lot of the time, my dad never knew the "whole" story, but only what "she told him".  BP's twist things a lot to get support from their partner.  Our father's had to survive in that relationship.  My dad would have never considered leaving my mom, for all kinds of reasons not worth going into here.  Why our father's go along with it...to avoid conflict and survive?  I live across town from my 83 year old mother, and I was feeling like the only answer was to run.  My dad stayed in that marriage for over 50 years, until he died.  They do what they gotta do to survive I think.  This is just a possible perspective to your 2nd question.

Excerpt
What happens when they truly isolate themselves? Except for dad she’s got no one. Her latest threats to me bring in the family doctor or our mutual occasional house cleaner. She’s lost all of her family clout.

This doesn't sound good.  How long has she been isolating herself for?  Is she depressed?  Does she have the skills (social or otherwise) to get involved in her community?  eg. join bowling, senior's club, church organization, coffee group, quilting group?  Does she have friends?   Have you thought about talking to the Dr yourself (about your concerns for her, as well as for yourself)?  I did this with my Dr (my mom and I also share the same Dr), and I got complete and total unconditional support from my doc when I shared a piece of my story.  Have to be careful though...my mom doesn't know she is BP...and so I made it perfectly clear to my Doc that if he used any of the info I gave him with my mom, she would know I spoke to him about her, and my life would be a living hell (beyond what it already was).  He assured me he understood, and reminded me he is bound to patient-doctor confidentiality.  However, it's a risk everyone has to weigh on their own, because mistakes happen by doctors too, sometimes innocently.  He gave me a referral to see a counsellor, but I couldn't wait the 3-12 months via that route, and found my own counsellor who I am very happy with.  Your mother could also be isolating as a test, in which case she will figure her own way out of it, and "self preserve" as Pursuing Joy put it.

Those are just a few thoughts in response to your 3 questions.  I hope I didn't write too much.  Hopefully it is supportive for you.  I'm feeling for you.  It's tough when you have this going on with a young family.  The most important thing is to look after yourself first.  We mom's tend to be self-sacrificing and put everyone else first, but it's not a strategy that supports our own "well being".  Find some time for yourself (hot bath, physical activity, coffee with a friend), and balance that with your responsibilities as a wife and mother to your own children.  We can't help others if we are coming apart at the seams ourselves.  Give yourself permission for self-care!   Hang in there.   Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:33:20 PM by Methuen » Logged
MommyinTN

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 10:53:28 PM »

Thanks so much for your responses! I read them several times - and even to my husband - and it really helped me feel not so crazy and alone.

Spiraling isn't new for her but this time is different. The accusations are much more serious, and the fact that our entire extended family is even involved in it at all just makes it worse. She's likely embarrassed and licking her wounds because of what has happened. And all of that started with some accusations tossed at me and my husband. So I'm sure in her mind, it's all my fault.

Dad is a good man. I firmly believe that. But he doesn't stand up for us against her. Ever. I'm sure it's self-preservation. We just think it has to be. They've been married for more than 40 years, and he doesn't know any different.

As far as isolation, she's definitely isolated now. I don't know of anyone who is speaking to her. She doesn't work. Has no friends. I'm not sure what she's doing over there but it scares me.

Again, really appreciate you both. Thankful for this community!
tryingforzen

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 07:03:23 AM »

I can relate to so much of your post.  I am in my early 40's with 2 kids closer to middle school age.  I've recently stopped speaking to my undiagnosed BPD mom who seems to have gotten much worse in recent years.  My Dad is still with her (married over 40 years) and hasn't spoken to me since mom & I stopped speaking.  I'm sure he's not allowed. I spent years feeling sorry for him and how he's had to put up with her but recently it just makes me angry that he has never stood up for himself and just left her.  He drinks heavily - as his coping mechanism, I'm sure. 

There are times when I feel like I'm going crazy and feel like maybe I am totally overreacting.  Mom can be a very nice, very giving person, who seemingly tries to be a good mother and grandmother.  But the roller coaster of that high and the lows of when she makes nasty comments to the kids and explodes with accusatory statements or gives the silent treatment is one I can't keep riding. 

I didn't go see my parents this summer (we live in a different state and summer is the only time they see my kids)and I felt like a horrible person for keeping the kids from her, but reframing it and thinking about it from my kids perspective helped.  My kids are getting old enough that I think they feel the tension when she's around and they were completely unphased by the news that we weren't going.  Maybe even relieved.  I know grandparents are important but I have been focusing on healthier grandparent figures like neighbors who praise the kids and love them unconditionally.  They don't need to be exposed to her crazy but I still feel like a bad person sometimes. 

I don't know my Mom's Dr. but I wish I had the opportunity to talk to her.  Mom has told me NUMEROUS times that her Dr says I am causing her problems (I'm sure that is not true).  She's at the Dr. frequently for new ailments.  And for years her Dr has been trying to talk her into medication for depression- which my mom adamantly refuses.  I wish I could give the Dr. a family perspective of what's going on behind the scenes. 

I have no answers and I don't know where I am going from my current situation.  Six months ago I would've never dreamed of not having a relationship at all with my mom (or her with my kids), but now I'm not so sure.  But you arent alone!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest