Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 08:25:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comorbidity of BPD traits and other things  (Read 382 times)
Birddog

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married 21

« on: September 18, 2019, 01:11:53 AM »

Bit puzzled, Checking for comorbidity of things with BPD traits to see if rings a bell with anyone.

Observing some odd tics with SO over last year, and can’t put finger on it.. I have had a couple relatives come forward recently that have observed some past tics with spouse.

Around 2, SO started involuntary forceful blinking, MIL took SO to eye Dr, pediatrician, SOs mom was LPN. Blinking Eventually went away. FIL thought stress of move.

As child, extended family reported SO started screaming when touched in early childhood.  hypersensity disorder?

As adult SO forcefully clears throat, observed off and on over 21 years. Thought related to dads smoking at time or allergies. Undiagnosed Tourette’s?  came up in 2012 therapy, went away.

Zip ahead 2018, I reached over to hold spouses hand, she started freaking out. Reminded me of what other relative mentioned from her childhood.

Been noticing recently return of blinking, symptoms similar to what was described when SO was 2. See the involuntary blinking when spouse becomes agitated.

The cough that disappeared in 2012 after therapy for “anxiety”  and “delusional social paranoia” has recently returned.

She has a thyroid condition that is now stabilized, stress is down, and low dose Abilify. neurologist did CT scan, seems normal there, about to see neuro psych. Schizotypal traits under control I think, (she has been able to mask severity in past and they surface in odd social situations and find out about years later). Still has BPD traits, more manageable now with thyroid and low dose Abilify.

Thinking undiagnosed Tourette’s? Something Neurolgical dating back to childhood? Buried childhood environmental factor/trauma? Hypersensitivity issues? I don’t want to go on fishing expedition into familial history unnecessarily, not sure what is buried in the past. Also mention no drug, alcohol, smoking history.

At a loss.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 01:26:50 AM by Birddog » Logged
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Ozzie101
Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 08:32:52 AM »

It's really hard to say. They could be stress coping mechanisms. Many of us have or have had those. (I stuttered as a toddler and have always done it when I'm stressed out.) There could be other, deeper issues at play. A professional would be the one to diagnose those. But it makes sense that certain behaviors could resurface at times of stress, etc.

As I understand it, there are many other things that can be comorbid with BPD: PTSD, OCD (I think), eating disorders, addictions.
Birddog

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 10:05:41 AM »

Thanks Ozzie,

Interesting the OCD, kind of had that one on radar, it’s something that has documented poorer prognosis.  Hit this with her  hyper-vigilance mode.

Will see a way to address, usually stay out of her doctors and therapists way unless near crisis or medical necessity, or omitted vital information that would jeopardize her care.

No-One

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 08:59:14 PM »

Some psychotropic meds can cause tic-like side effects in some people.  A drug company has been running TV ads for a med that will help counteract a condition called "Tardive dyskinesia". There are various causes of this condition, but apparently some psychotropic meds can be the cause.

Coughing can relate to allergies.  Some meds, especially blood pressure meds can commonly cause coughing.  Throat clearing can be due to post-nasal drip.

As Ozzie101 pointed out, BPD rarely stands alone.  Many mental health issues end up resurfacing from time-to-time. 
Birddog

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 09:49:42 AM »

Been watching symptoms for Tardive dyskinesia. There some overlap of symptoms for synthrax and abilfy to watch. 

It’s a work in progress, fortunately Tardive dyskinesia is not as high of risk in low doses, but still on my mind for long term management and treatment.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest