Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 01:46:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a Psychologist  (Read 549 times)
Tired Husband
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: October 14, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »

I am looking for a good Psychologist in the Minneapolis area, south suburbs. My wife has exhibited most of the traits of BPD for all 25 years of our relationship. I am tired of the criticism, rage, constant blame and suicide threats and she refuses to get help (everyone else has the problems). I would like to see the Psychologist myself to get help and hopefully get my wife in as well, eventually.
Anyone know of a solid and trustworthy Psychologist who fully understands BPD?
I have been seeing counselors for years, but I really need a  trained Dr.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

BadIdeasCanSwim

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 06:19:30 PM »

First of all, just wanted to say that I relate to all of what you're saying. Particularly the part about the problems being with everyone else and refusing treatment.

I'm thousands of miles away. So I don't know anyone in your area. And since you're new I'm going to assume that you just found out about BPD recently, so apologies if this is not the case.

Personally speaking I couldn't find a therapist who specifically marketed themselves as treating family members. So I looked for someone who treats people with BPD. And since current research states that Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) is the most effective treatment, I sought out someone who has been trained by the organization founded by Marsha Linehan, who developed DBT.

These are two databases that have lists of therapists and treatment centers with DBT training: 

www.dbt-lbc.org/index.php?page=101163

https://behavioraltech.org/resources/find-a-therapist/

I'm not sure why or how they're different, but for me the more information and options the better.

Not everyone listed will have a doctorate level of education. After a less than stellar experience with an LMFT with no BPD experience I can understand why you'd want a doctorate level therapist. But since BPD presents some unique challenges and relationship problems I would suspect that an LMFT/LCSW with DBT training and BPD experience would be able to serve you better than a PhD with none.

Some places have "Skills Training" classes that are directed at family members. I have never done one though so I can't say anything about them beyond the fact that they exist.

I would also recommend the book "Loving Someone with Borderline Personality Disorder" by Shari Manning. It's available on Amazon.

Personally speaking getting myself into therapy and reading that book has significantly increased my quality of life. There are almost certainly things that you can do (and not your wife) that will increase your quality of life.
Tired Husband
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »

Thanks for the information. I have found several places in my area that use DBT therapy.  I will continue to persevere.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest