Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 03:13:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken record month after month  (Read 407 times)
Inner Light

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: November 05, 2019, 09:39:36 PM »

I'm tired of living with a grumpy person. He skips meals daily so that he's always hangry and depleted. He doesn't sleep. So he lives in a permanent state of emergency and is rarely in a good mood. He's traumatized from a decade of struggling at work and it's just rough to live with someone who always needs TLC and can't lift me up some times. At a certain point this will all break down. He's outraged every day and it's just like a broken record.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 10:36:13 PM »

That sounds tough. What can you do for good self care?

So much of this is outside of your control—his eating habits and his sleeping behavior.

Do you have friends and family outside this relationship who can support you?

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Mutt
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 12:25:09 PM »

Hi Inner Light,

I am sorry that you are going through this. That's a difficult situation.

That sounds tough. What can you do for good self care?

I want to echo Cat Familiar. He is not taking care of himself. It's really important to do things that you enjoy and to do them often. What are things that you like to do?

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
ortac77

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Living together

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:57:17 AM »

It seems not sleeping or eating properly is very common with BPD - kind of inevitable that it makes an already difficult illness a lot worse.

I hope that you are eating and sleeping ok? Self care is important and there is nothing we can do to make them eat/sleep - I know how frustrating that is as I too get fed up with grumpy/erratic behaviour - I just have to distance myself and keep myself occupied and engaged with my own hobbies/interests even though that often leads to more resentment on my partners part.

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 05:30:44 PM »

A lot of this stems from an inability to structure and prioritise. When this happens with anyone, BPD or not, everything becomes harder as nothing becomes automated. Frustration comes through and we get angry. Normally with ourselves. When this occurs with pwBPD they simply project responsibility for this onto others and it becomes "your fault" "You do it" "why is that person/you doing this to me?"

Sometimes the self loathing can take forms of "I dont deserve good things to eat, or to sleep", hunger and sleep deprivation can become self punishment.

It is important that you dont get too tied up trying to provide their stability for them, ultimately this reinforces the perception that it is your responsibility. It can also compromise your ability to structure and prioritise your own life, and you start to fall apart.

Do you often feel like your own life's schedule is regularly being sabotaged by having someone rubbing an eraser through it by their impulsive demands and indecision? All those things you know you can get done simply dont happen because you are constantly adding pauses and rewrites.

A good reminder I once read was along the lines of "Someone else's lack of planning and indecision is not your emergency or responsibility, you are simply a volunteer aid worker giving a helping hand there should be no self guilt involved"

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Inner Light

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 06:46:29 PM »

Wow I was really struck by the questions there. Yes, I do feel my days are constantly being edited and rewritten! That's partly because we have two little kids and th :wee:ings often do not go according to plan with kids in tow. But ever since yesterday he's been in a weird mood and I'm off kilter because we'd planned a trip and now he insists he told me he had to work all along. So I'm waiting to find out if I can get a refund. Yes I know this is all dysfunctional I have no illusions about that but I can't see my way out of this mess. Self-care? I've been thinking of hiring a sitter once a week...
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 07:01:13 AM »

Why not go on the trip as you had agreed.  He can either go or stay?

Best,

FF

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 07:46:15 AM »

Part of the deep impact of being with a person with BPD (pwBPD) is the extreme level of volatility, inconsistency and dysfunction.  When you don't know what will happen next, then you're stuck playing defense.  To use a comparison, in competitive games the teams playing Offense are more likely to win than the teams playing Defense only.

So ponder ways that you can be more proactive than always reactive.  (Yes, easier said than done.)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest