Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 07:49:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello Mom with a teen who seems to exhibit BPD traits.  (Read 363 times)
Sorority
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: living together

« on: January 11, 2020, 09:06:16 PM »

I just want to say hi. I am a mom with a teen who seems to exhibit BPD traits so a new journey is beginning for me and our family. Any tips greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:19:38 PM by Harri, Reason: changed title pursuant to guideline 1.5 » Logged
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Harri
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 09:24:07 PM »

Hello and welcome!

I am glad you found us though sorry for what brings you here. 

Can you share more about your situation?  What sort of behaviors does your daughter demonstrate?  What are some of the things you are struggling with?

We have a lot of articles here that you might find helpful though it is hard to recommend a particular one until we know more about your situation.  A good place to start though is here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=331814.0

I hope you settle in and read and get comfortable with us.  All the parents on this board understand and can support you as you navigate your way through this new journey you and your family are on.

Again, Welcome

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Sorority
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: living together

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 09:32:54 PM »

She has had suicidal ideation and agitated behavior for a few years and was seeing a therapist for it but it did not seem to help much. Last year the situation got worse with suicide plans and uncontrollable bouts of despair. It took us four months to get an appointment with a psychiatrist. She was put on antidepressants. A few months ago she asked to be admitted to the ERs and went to inpatient and then to a DBT day program. The program sent her back almost right away to the ERs then another inpatient program. She is now in a day PHP and comes home at night, and stopped antidepressants to switch to mood stabilizers. The whole hospitalization thingie has been traumatic for me and I don't want her to go to a residential program, because we are short of money and have a so-so insurance, so we would not be able to pick and choose. I think a residential program could be traumatic for her depending on the experience there (for example, in her inpatient hospitalization, she was with violent kids). She is still unstable but willing and loving. It is a huge emotional roller coaster and we'll take it by day. Right now I guess my main concern is the moments of crises, what to do and what to tell them when it happens, and how to measure her level of risk regarding suicide.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest