Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 07:12:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boundaries+Validation  (Read 365 times)
Soul_Driven

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: January 22, 2020, 04:03:20 PM »

My partner has BPD, Bipolar, ADHD and ODD. Bipolar is a new diagnosis after a manic/psychotic episode and is currently under a section on an acute psychiatric ward. My focus is around his BPD symptoms. He is outwardly aggressive, blames others, flirts with others and struggles with engulfment.

I understand validation, everyone deserves to have their emotions.I still struggle with validation, I am human and he is hurtful. It is boundaries I struggle with more and that is probably because I am a codependent (I am working on this) and of course that has contribute to our challenges.

When my pwBPD lashes out and blames me for everything, including his psychosis. I say "I feel hurt and undervalued. I need some time to myself tonight and won't be taking any calls. We can speak tomorrow" and added "I do not think you are a bad person, it is just the behaviour that has upset me". Then I noticed his abandonment fears kick in and he starts ringing me constantly, sending me messages. First calling me emotionally manipulative, then apologising, then being sweet and then coming up with some crisis he needs help with. Do I continue enforcing my boundary or because he is apologising stop? How do I come back after enforcing my boundary?

I have been reflecting a lot, I notice that I have a lot of resent towards my partner because I have given in a lot which hasn't been helpful to either of us. Even now after supporting him through hospitalization I expected more gratitude for "saving him" when that was completely my choice. It doesn't help that he is flirtatious to others, even a guy on the ward he has been flirting with but he isn't attracted to men so it proves its linked to his mental health.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 08:29:50 AM »

When my pwBPD lashes out and blames me for everything, including his psychosis. I say "I feel hurt and undervalued. I need some time to myself tonight and won't be taking any calls. We can speak tomorrow" and added "I do not think you are a bad person, it is just the behaviour that has upset me". Then I noticed his abandonment fears kick in and he starts ringing me constantly, sending me messages. First calling me emotionally manipulative, then apologising, then being sweet and then coming up with some crisis he needs help with. Do I continue enforcing my boundary or because he is apologising stop? How do I come back after enforcing my boundary?

I can relate to this pattern!  Virtual hug (click to insert in post) It helps to stay calm when they're not, and to follow through. If you stated that you would speak tomorrow, I would wait until the following morning. When you respond, do so with the same steady, clear and loving tone you used to set the boundary. Let them know you'd be happy to assist with the crisis if appropriate. Slowing down our responses is something that allows us to gather our thoughts, and it allows them time to self-soothe.

I have been reflecting a lot, I notice that I have a lot of resent towards my partner because I have given in a lot which hasn't been helpful to either of us. Even now after supporting him through hospitalization I expected more gratitude for "saving him" when that was completely my choice.

The pwBPD in my life is my MIL. There have been times I've gone way out of my way to help her and do special things. It didn't even occur to me that she never expressed gratitude until I was accused of not caring about her. We know that BPD's have an endless bucket of need. It wouldn't matter if I spent thousands of dollars, smothered her with attention and let her move in with us. It would never be enough because of the disordered way of thinking. She's not trying to be ungrateful or difficult. She is incapable of soaking up love that is offered and allowing it to nourish. She either overlooks, downplays, ignores or rejects (fear of engulfment) or hungrily demands more.  Do you see this too?

I've tried to focus on what I value (eg, it's important to me that I support my husband and do what is within my power to facilitate a healthy relationship with his mother). My values guide me as I determine next steps. Does it help to identify what you value and want to protect as it relates to your relationship with your partner?

We're here.
pj

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest