Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 02:01:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Discovered BPD Wife cheated  (Read 390 times)
Petay
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: January 25, 2020, 11:09:07 PM »

OK, so this is my first post on any type of site like this ever but I need some help...

My 31YO BPD wife who also has ASD and Complex PTSD from childhood abuse has had a recent stay in a mental health institution after attempting suicide (her brother took his own life a few months ago.)

During her stay she met a 54YO man with Bipolar who had also attempted suicide. He became something of a supposed father figure and since they both left hospital, they have spent the last three weeks spending most days together while I work full time, look after our 3 children (2 with learning difficulties) and run around after her getting various things she needs/wants and organising meds, paperwork etc. She is often out until the evening as she says she cannot cope being around the kids...

She told me today she has been having an affair with the 54YO as I have not been "emotionally supportive" and he showed her affection... she is on a ton of meds and has memory problems and is often confused...

She told me of the affair as she had planned to take her own life today and wanted me to hate her in some sort of way. I have got her the help she needs to stop this from happening but where from here?

I can see in a way that she has been 'groomed' but some element of her must have known what she was doing? Can I forgive and forget? Should I? If I leave her on her own she will take her own life...
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rev
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 04:43:14 AM »

OK, so this is my first post on any type of site like this ever but I need some help...

My 31YO BPD wife who also has ASD and Complex PTSD from childhood abuse has had a recent stay in a mental health institution after attempting suicide (her brother took his own life a few months ago.)

During her stay she met a 54YO man with Bipolar who had also attempted suicide. He became something of a supposed father figure and since they both left hospital, they have spent the last three weeks spending most days together while I work full time, look after our 3 children (2 with learning difficulties) and run around after her getting various things she needs/wants and organising meds, paperwork etc. She is often out until the evening as she says she cannot cope being around the kids...

She told me today she has been having an affair with the 54YO as I have not been "emotionally supportive" and he showed her affection... she is on a ton of meds and has memory problems and is often confused...

She told me of the affair as she had planned to take her own life today and wanted me to hate her in some sort of way. I have got her the help she needs to stop this from happening but where from here?

I can see in a way that she has been 'groomed' but some element of her must have known what she was doing? Can I forgive and forget? Should I? If I leave her on her own she will take her own life...

Hello my friend and welcome.

You have come to a very good place with lots of support. There is lots of experience here.  

Much of what you describe here are her behaviors and her story sounds totally tragic. And I can hear how much you would like for her to be well.  And I can hear that you feel caught - hurt by the affair and compelled out of compassion and perhaps even some fear (you say she will take her own life if  you leave).

How are you feeling - can you list and identify your various feelings and what is triggering them?  It will be very hard for you to move forward until they you get them sorted out.  You don't say much about where you are at emotionally and I think it will be difficult to get some advice and understand how to integrate it into your life until you get there. This is not to say that your emotions are a trouble - just that they factor into the mix of what you "should" do.

Reach out - I did reach out a lot and today it's still a daily task to keep myself in my rational self and sort out how I am feeling. I can only imagine how heavy her story gets by times. You must be a very committed person to be thinking about staying and helping. Many people would have just simply disappeared.

Hang in there. Consider getting some personal counselling or spiritual direction if you can to ease some of the mental pain - the body doesn't function well under stress - neither does the mind.

One step at time as they say...

Rev
Petay
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 07:38:37 AM »

Thanks for the reply,

I feel betrayed, lied to, angry and guilty that I facilitated it to happen I guess.

I really thought the guy was a father figure but now I can see he was preying on my vulnerable wife who was pushing me away and telling me she needed to spend time with people who had been in the same situation as I wouldn't understand. He also then began using emotional blackmail threatening to take his own life if she stopped spending time with him.

I feel guilty that she told me she couldn't be on her own with her thoughts and needed company when she came out of hospital yet rather than take time off I tried to be the hero and work full time, run the family and let her stay out until the kids were in bed or later. I should have been with her during this time.

I swing between guilt and anger as she insists it was about emotional support and the physical side was not important or something she particularly wanted (apparently this was also never actually successful so maybe I can take some comfort, yet the intention was there.) Yet the fact there was more than one effort is the problem.

I am waiting for couples therapy with the mental health team that are currently involved.

I can see she isn't herself and she has made many changes to her appearance and has a teenage mentality due to dissociation. I also realise this is a form of self harm yet I have that overriding feeling she could have told me before doing anything or said no at any point.

My emotions are all over the place!
MattInIowa

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 01:24:44 AM »

I can relate to this post on do may levels. My wife and I have been married less than a year and together for 5. She has cheated multiple times with the same person and there is always some excuse. We also have a disabled son and I work full time and she quit her job with no replacement in December. Since being at home full time I have seen how much the kids behaviors affect her and she simply cannot handle it. Sometimes it's hard to remember that it is the disorder. Because to a normal person these behaviors are clearly wrong. I just want you to know that you are not alone. Take comfort in knowing you have couples therapy coming soon. We have not taken that step yet, although I feel it is a must from our end to even Try to begin to heal and trust again.
Rev
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 04:05:53 PM »

Thanks for the reply,

I feel betrayed, lied to, angry and guilty that I facilitated it to happen I guess.

I really thought the guy was a father figure but now I can see he was preying on my vulnerable wife who was pushing me away and telling me she needed to spend time with people who had been in the same situation as I wouldn't understand. He also then began using emotional blackmail threatening to take his own life if she stopped spending time with him.

I feel guilty that she told me she couldn't be on her own with her thoughts and needed company when she came out of hospital yet rather than take time off I tried to be the hero and work full time, run the family and let her stay out until the kids were in bed or later. I should have been with her during this time.

I swing between guilt and anger as she insists it was about emotional support and the physical side was not important or something she particularly wanted (apparently this was also never actually successful so maybe I can take some comfort, yet the intention was there.) Yet the fact there was more than one effort is the problem.

I am waiting for couples therapy with the mental health team that are currently involved.

I can see she isn't herself and she has made many changes to her appearance and has a teenage mentality due to dissociation. I also realise this is a form of self harm yet I have that overriding feeling she could have told me before doing anything or said no at any point.

My emotions are all over the place!

Hello again ….

That's really excellent of you to be able to name those things.  Good courage. It can be hard for some people to go there. So take a moment and get in touch with what empowered you to look at what you had to look at - even as it is hard.  Hold on to that "something" - it will serve you well as you look and grow.

I'm going to risk going too fast here and trust my intuition …. I would suggest that you go into personal counselling as well. Spiritual direction if you are person of faith as well.

The anger - it's a defense and expression of the injustice you feel. She gave you the impression you were important to her in finding her happiness and you willingly became vulnerable to become in touch with her struggles.  pwBPD seek out, consciously or unconsciously, people who have compassion. The more compassion, the better the supply for them.

The guilt - that's that part you might want to take some time with in personal work. Carrying that guilt into couple's counselling will not serve you well. I hear you taking a lot of responsibility for your actions and I hear to you taking responsibility for having "facilitated" her choices.  You can't have it both ways. You can't take responsibility for you and her - unless your goal was to have her go into this very sordid affair. 

So there it is...  your emotions are important because they remind you to be a caring person. But your rational side can help you put those emotions into perspective. Right now, your emotions are likely all over the place because your relationship messed with your rational brain - the relationship and where it went literally doesn't compute.

So there it is.

I hope some of this was helpful.  I really feel for you. My story is somewhat similar. My ex (who is adopted) left me for her new-found biological brother. Tough stuff to get your head around.

You are not a reflection of her disfunction. You may have been caught in it. But you are not a reflection of it. You'll find yourself in all of this.

Positive thoughts your way.

Rev
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest