Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 09:32:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I send message or just fix when we’re not speaking  (Read 347 times)
UBPDHelp

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: February 09, 2020, 09:19:02 AM »

Hi all, I feel nutty for even posting this but I am so uncertain how to proceed.

Quick background — my uBPDH has been dysregulating with increasing frequency for about the last 6 months (been happening too much for years, but big increase more recently). His go to is my bf before we met that I slept with (30 years ago). That is just the excuse for whatever else is bothering him — right now a change in work is fueling his fear of abandonment as far as I can tell.

The last tirade has been over the last week. We had a b’day party the weekend prior and he spent the whole weekend sulking (I believe I stated a boundary with the in-laws he didn’t like).

No rages until about midweek and then the most vile, awful, hurtful things were messaged with a demand that I acknowledge.  The first day I did (I thought I was validating).  The next day, even though we had a “normal” night the night before, he sent an even more scathing message.  Wouldn’t have thought that possible. Again he demanded that I acknowledge. This time I didn’t.  I have told him many times that we get no where with this conversation and I’m not having it anymore. BUT, later I would ask if we could get past it and move on, so guess I was IRing it.

So now it’s been days and we have not spoken (he won’t answer my calls, but this time I haven’t bothered).  He’s stayed away when he comes home, but I’ve just announced dinner as usual (he doesn’t join).

So yesterday he decides he’s going away for the night and takes my son.  He’s withheld his paycheck for 2 weeks (I’m currently unemployed, but actively looking).  He’s actually several weeks behind (business owner) and won’t communicate with me.  But, I know he’s so distracted he doesn’t remember that weeks ago he didn’t bring a paycheck.

I’ve been putting money in from savings but can’t/won’t keep doing this.  So irresponsible.

But I put some in yesterday to “cover” his weekend.  Our bank allows overdrafts but incur a fee every time. He should have had enough for a hotel and a dinner, but he went to a very expensive dinner and hotel so he overdrew our account, which is going to get worse with fees. I can put money in to see if our current situation resolves.

I don’t like discussing money issues with him unless I have to because he is very triggered by them and I now am scarred by this (so many things I do are by avoidance, ugh).

My options:

1. Break the no messaging (he won’t speak to me in person or on phone) and tell him he’s overdrawn the account, we’re going to incur fees, and he needs to put some money in the account.  Also give him the “reminder” of all the weeks he hasn’t brought home a check (I keep paying bills out of money I’ve saved).  I know he has a check or two but is deliberately not giving it to me (doesn’t usually do this, but he is triggered).  Definite financial abuse/blackmail.

2. Shut off the overdraft so he can’t use the account.  I fear this will set him into a rage, especially if he knows I did it. He doesn’t ever seem to get that he spends a lot of money (I believe trying to make himself happy).

3. Just put more money into the account to cover overdrafts and deal with the conversation when he is not dysregulated?

He’s playing mr. nice guy with the kids, but hateful to me so don’t think he’s done yet.

Please share your thoughts/suggestions. I don’t want to undo my boundary by giving him another reason to go off on me, even though he created this situation. I also think there’s a good chance we’re heading to divorce. 

Side note, this is similar to his parents divorce and I’m trying to see how that fits this equation.

And, goodness, I need to work on brevity...thank you to those who have read this far and to those willing to weigh in!  I keep changing my mind on which approach.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rev
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 09:26:09 AM »

Hi all, I feel nutty for even posting this but I am so uncertain how to proceed.

Quick background — my uBPDH has been dysregulating with increasing frequency for about the last 6 months (been happening too much for years, but big increase more recently). His go to is my bf before we met that I slept with (30 years ago). That is just the excuse for whatever else is bothering him — right now a change in work is fueling his fear of abandonment as far as I can tell.

The last tirade has been over the last week. We had a b’day party the weekend prior and he spent the whole weekend sulking (I believe I stated a boundary with the in-laws he didn’t like).

No rages until about midweek and then the most vile, awful, hurtful things were messaged with a demand that I acknowledge.  The first day I did (I thought I was validating).  The next day, even though we had a “normal” night the night before, he sent an even more scathing message.  Wouldn’t have thought that possible. Again he demanded that I acknowledge. This time I didn’t.  I have told him many times that we get no where with this conversation and I’m not having it anymore. BUT, later I would ask if we could get past it and move on, so guess I was IRing it.

So now it’s been days and we have not spoken (he won’t answer my calls, but this time I haven’t bothered).  He’s stayed away when he comes home, but I’ve just announced dinner as usual (he doesn’t join).

So yesterday he decides he’s going away for the night and takes my son.  He’s withheld his paycheck for 2 weeks (I’m currently unemployed, but actively looking).  He’s actually several weeks behind (business owner) and won’t communicate with me.  But, I know he’s so distracted he doesn’t remember that weeks ago he didn’t bring a paycheck.

I’ve been putting money in from savings but can’t/won’t keep doing this.  So irresponsible.

But I put some in yesterday to “cover” his weekend.  Our bank allows overdrafts but incur a fee every time. He should have had enough for a hotel and a dinner, but he went to a very expensive dinner and hotel so he overdrew our account, which is going to get worse with fees. I can put money in to see if our current situation resolves.

I don’t like discussing money issues with him unless I have to because he is very triggered by them and I now am scarred by this (so many things I do are by avoidance, ugh).

My options:

1. Break the no messaging (he won’t speak to me in person or on phone) and tell him he’s overdrawn the account, we’re going to incur fees, and he needs to put some money in the account.  Also give him the “reminder” of all the weeks he hasn’t brought home a check (I keep paying bills out of money I’ve saved).  I know he has a check or two but is deliberately not giving it to me (doesn’t usually do this, but he is triggered).  Definite financial abuse/blackmail.

2. Shut off the overdraft so he can’t use the account.  I fear this will set him into a rage, especially if he knows I did it. He doesn’t ever seem to get that he spends a lot of money (I believe trying to make himself happy).

3. Just put more money into the account to cover overdrafts and deal with the conversation when he is not dysregulated?

He’s playing mr. nice guy with the kids, but hateful to me so don’t think he’s done yet.

Please share your thoughts/suggestions. I don’t want to undo my boundary by giving him another reason to go off on me, even though he created this situation. I also think there’s a good chance we’re heading to divorce. 

Side note, this is similar to his parents divorce and I’m trying to see how that fits this equation.

And, goodness, I need to work on brevity...thank you to those who have read this far and to those willing to weigh in!  I keep changing my mind on which approach.

Hi - no you don't need to work on brevity. This is clear and reflective of the gravity of the situation.

My marriage ended when this same dynamic provoked me to tell her that we needed to open up our books and go for true credit counselling.

I share this with you so that you understand that I carry baggage.

The sense I get is that you would dearly love to do number 2 - but fear the consequences. You know that number 3 is really only going to perpetuate the cycle.

So that leaves number 1 - which of course means that you are giving him an ultimatum of sorts - one where the reaction and consequences cause uncertainty - walking on eggshells.

The answer will come when you know in your heart what consquences of number 1 you can stomach - for yourself.

Hope this helps.

Rev
UBPDHelp

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 12:06:37 PM »

Hi Rev,

Thank you, your perspective does help. 

And, you are right, ideally I’d like to turn off the overdraft protection but my main concern right now is how to navigate the no communication, maintain my boundary and not make the situation worse (accidental IR).

Thankfully, this is not a common tactic.  I have been pretty responsible making sure our financial house stays in order, which can be challenging at times. It’s hard to know if he’s so dysregulated right now he isn’t paying attention to the details or if this a full blown manipulation.

But, again, I am mostly interested at the moment of not undoing this new boundary. Still trying to wrap my head around the big picture.

Thanks again for your input!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest