Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 12:09:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would I say to bpd wife that I hold back.  (Read 347 times)
badknees1

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: February 23, 2020, 07:11:26 PM »

-Not only are you ruining your life, but my life too
-Stop machinegunning me with criticism
-Stop blaming me
-You need to apologize to me
-it's all about you, not me, YOU
-expletives..
...I know you guys are all saying no don't say those things...I don't..just wish I could.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

CHChuck

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 10:16:11 PM »

BK - I can see/hear your pain. Man, we could talk...machine gunning with criticism is such a good description.  Have you read Stop Walking on Eggshells? If not, I found that book to be incredibly helpful.  I also am seeing a therapist who specializes in BPD, mostly because my wife declares I have BPD (a common occurrence).  This site is also very informative. 

I am 1 month into my learning process and it's been both a struggle and liberating. It's a struggle because every bit of growth I make, I share it with my wife for her approval (old habits die hard). Its also liberating because I have learned to release the anger I feel when she criticizes me or when I reflect on my years with her. I am learning to speak in a way that avoids major arguments and helps her to regulate her emotions. 

What absolutely SUCKS is that these are incredibly hard things to do and I have no one saying, "Great job, Dude!"  Particularly because my wife has conned most of our friends and I cannot expect that from the others in my life that see the BPD, my children. If I dwell, I can still get incredibly frustrated at what I have given up these past 30 years for her, friends, intimacy, and a career. However, in my particular instance, we still have a ton of potential, especially if I reduce my expectations and continue my growth.

That said, just a day ago, I hit an absolute wall and was certain I could not stand another day in this relationship. Rather than suck it up or to loose my cool, I composed and presented my wife with a list of minimal expectations to avoid separation. I did so calmly, reading from my scrip, and gave her a chance to reply.  While she did not initially agree to everything, she agreed to the one non-negotiable item.  Today has been the best day we've had together in nearly 6 months. 

For me, I did some work to put myself in an acceptable position should she not agree to my limits. I set clear limits and compromised on some after hearing her. That's one step in the right direction.

Good luck.  PM me if you want to talk more.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest