Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 28, 2024, 02:58:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Space and dating new people while I want to reconcile  (Read 362 times)
TheExFiancee

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 06, 2020, 08:37:53 AM »

Hello BPD Family,

I've been back in touch with my ex for a month now and it was always fun.
We've been texting every single day and we were even planning out the next time we're going to an event together (it's in a few months from now as we live far apart).

We got back in touch in terms of a FRIENDSHIP.
I asked him about working things out, but he told me he was not over his ex. She lost their child and he's in deep pain because losing them both  (6 months ago).

We still had fun and upbeat conversations.
Then he started going on dates with a new girl. He texted me he was meeting "a friend" but his social media clearly said that those were dates.
I didn't mention it, acted as if I never read it as I didn't wanna make drama as his "friend".

We've been having a funny conversation, then suddenly he didn't get back to me anymore.
On social media he posted that he's been friendzoned (by the new girl who he's been hanging out with the second time on that day)... He seemed so hurt.

The next day he started sharing posts about how he's not feeling okay because he is mourning his child.
When I saw this I reached out and tried to validate his feelings, sent him strength. He didn't react so I left him space.

After 24 hours and seeing more of those very sad and worrying social media posts I carefully asked if he was okay.. When he said "yeah" I didn't push for more but wished him a good night.

At night then he texted me and asked for a break from talking "for a bit"...
I was in shock but lightly texted him that I hope some alone time would do him you well, that I was hoping that he knows that I care and to get in touch when he feels like it.

I would love to get some advice on this situation. Our break up is nearly 3 years ago but I still love him a lot. It's clear that I gotta give him his space now, but

1. Could I've done anything better in my reactions and communication?

2. Do I reach out in a week or so and check in with him if he doesn't talk to me?

I see that apart from his borderline he really is going through a terrible loss right now, I understand that and wanna be there for him..

At the same time it hurts me that he seems to be using his feelings for his ex as an excuse not to work things out with me, while on the other hand he's trying hard to start dating NEW people all the time..

3. Do I talk about this when we're speaking? Or do I better act unimpressed/light when he's talking to new girls?

Thank you
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 08:43:26 AM by TheExFiancee » Logged
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 03:47:16 AM »

We got back in touch in terms of a FRIENDSHIP.
I asked him about working things out, but he told me he was not over his ex. She lost their child and he's in deep pain because losing them both  (6 months ago).

this is the tricky part about trying to navigate a friendship when you have feelings for the other person, and hope of reconciliation. and it is really tricky.

the thing here is, he knows that you still have feelings, and would ideally like to get back together. there arent any doubts, youve communicated it clearly.

and thats part of the confusion, i suspect. you dont want to send contrary signals...you want to make the right moves as a romantic prospect, and youre doing that from the position of "just friends", but ideally, you dont want to be seen as "just a friend".

its a tough needle to thread.

Excerpt
1. Could I've done anything better in my reactions and communication?

from his perspective, bearing in mind he knows that youd like to get back together, he may read a lot of your efforts as romantic, or pushing to be together.

right now, he is shutting those efforts down.

when a guy is saying "not right now", but seeing other people, telling you hes meeting a friend while calling it a date publicly, what hes saying is "no, but im afraid to let you down in an obvious/overt way, but im hoping youll read between the lines".

that may be hard to hear, but it doesnt have to be the end of the world or your chances.

Excerpt
2. Do I reach out in a week or so and check in with him if he doesn't talk to me?

no. hard no. not in a week, not in a month, if it comes to that.

the ball is very much in his court. he initiated this break from talking. that means hes feeling overwhelmed and wants space. it may be a lot of space. reaching out will make him feel backed into a corner.

it also wont paint you in the most attractive light. it will look needy.

when i mention threading the difficult needle of trying to get someone back, from a position of "just friends", the moves to make are far less about trying to make the right move or send the right message, and far more about just, simply, positioning yourself in a more attractive light.

and in this case, a more attractive light probably means being a bit more detached. a bit less focused on him and whats going on in his life, and more on you, and whats going on in yours.

think about it. he knows you want to get back together. if he wanted that to happen right now, youd do it in a heartbeat. so as hard as it may be, you have to ask yourself why he isnt jumping at the chance, right?

psychologically speaking, he doesnt need to. he can explore his options. youll still be available.

and putting yourself in a more attractive light means not putting yourself in that position. not being a doormat.

if it were me? id fill up my schedule for the next month, with friends, with hobbies, with good times, with new experiences. and id post about it.

dont be too obvious or too showy, or out of the ordinary for the kind of stuff you normally post. but invest in your life enthusiastically and share it with others. because that is attractive, to everyone. and on some level, of course, when we do this sort of thing, it is with the object of our affections in mind, and to get their attention...that cant really be helped too much. ideally though, that enthusiasm kind of takes over us, and becomes more about doing it because it enriches our lives, rather than for someones attention.

strive for that point. it wont just paint you in a more attractive light. it will build your confidence and make you stronger.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
TheExFiancee

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 07:06:17 AM »

Hello once removed,

thank you so much for being there and giving me your opinion.

I feel like since I'm here I keep asking the same question over and over again in different situations.

So far I've learned that staying calm is the best thing to do always, so if I would've read his message and said: "Oh my god, why? I care about you, I wanna be there for you! Give me a reason why you need space, we've been talking everyday and I thought we both were enjoying this because you always kept the conversation going! Did I do something wrong?" he probably would flip and block me.

(To make this clear: I'm not thinking about sending him this! It would be completely selfish and not considering how he's feeling!)

But in all honesty, this is how I'm feeling right now. I'd love to know what made him want this beak. I know this month is extra hard for him, he has his reasons, but the truth is that I thought I'd be a support in his life and a listener to his problems.
I've read all these books about healthy communication and I think I did a good job in making him feel heard, but now that things are the hardest for him he's pushing me away?

Right now I feel like I need some time for myself. I'm not sure if posting fun stuff on social media will want him to talk to me again or make him think that I don't care at all.
I know exactly that he left in pain, that's why although I agree with most of your answer, I think a little check in would be a good thing to do? I think a good friend would check if you okay, not the next day after being asked for a break, but after proving some patience and self-control..?

We didn't really talk for 4 months until I came around with my letter to him in January. We went from not talking at all to talking every single day in seconds.

Maybe this has overwhelmed him?
It overwhelms me how he's just gone again while these texting conversations between us meant so much to me.

Couldn't stop crying yesterday but hope that things are looking up soon.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 03:26:45 PM »

But in all honesty, this is how I'm feeling right now. I'd love to know what made him want this beak. I know this month is extra hard for him, he has his reasons, but the truth is that I thought I'd be a support in his life and a listener to his problems.
I've read all these books about healthy communication and I think I did a good job in making him feel heard, but now that things are the hardest for him he's pushing me away?

he may be signaling that this isnt the kind of friendship/relationship he wants, right now.

exactly why is hard to say. its possible that he sees it as a means to get back with him. that may be pushing him away.

Right now I feel like I need some time for myself. I'm not sure if posting fun stuff on social media will want him to talk to me again or make him think that I don't care at all.

would posting about being heartbroken win him back? if so, would you be comfortable that thats what it took?

likewise, do you want to be in a position where living your best life would make him think you dont care at all, or that would threaten your relationship?

i dont think either of those are really your choices, im just making a point. more likely, he thinks you care too much and are too available, generally. he isnt signaling that he expects you to chase him in spite of him shutting you down.

living your best life (whether you post about it or not) is about respecting yourself and not being a doormat or putting your life on hold for him. it also sends the message that youre not going to chase, and respect his wishes. thats attractive to anyone.

I think a good friend would check if you okay

i might agree, to a point, if this was about a friendship, and a friendship alone.

after proving some patience and self-control..?

i think i would look at this less in terms of what you need to prove to him, and more about not chasing or overpursuing.

this isnt a test or gauntlet he threw down to see if youd pass. its a break from speaking that he initiated. the terms of that are really on him.

We didn't really talk for 4 months until I came around with my letter to him in January. We went from not talking at all to talking every single day in seconds.

this can happen sometimes, when people catch up. ive been in that place with both old friends and ex romantic partners. its fun for a while. eventually, one or both parties fall back into their old routine. its hurt my feelings when it happened, too.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
TheExFiancee

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 12:28:10 PM »

Thank you once removed

No, I'd never be posting heartbroken stuff, but staying silent or neutral sometimes is the best way

If I'm seeming overly happy without him he would probably think that he doesn't matter to me at all.

He just signalised that he wanted to talk all the time, started his days with a good morning message to me, asked me questions, it was all good until he got his heart broken by someone else.

I'm just wondering so much what's going on inside of him.
He didn't disconnect with me on social media though, even gave me a new follow yesterday, so all I can do is trusting that this break will only last for "a bit" like he said...
Would love to be there for him though
TheExFiancee

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 05:04:21 AM »

Big thank you again to you, once removed.

He reached out to me again on Monday and things are okay again between us.

I'm wondering about his reasons but won't push for answers. Just happy to have him back in my life, hoping things will stay okay and get even better eventually.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest