Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 01:46:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sister with BPD, how do I stay empathetic and when is it ok to distance yourself  (Read 373 times)
Dahlia_fields
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling
Relationship status: not living together

« on: May 28, 2020, 09:02:00 PM »

Hi guys,
I'm here because Im in need for some advice or support. I have a sister with BPD and for years now Im her main emotional support as all the other relationships in her life are turbulent and she blames them for everything. She downloads on me all the time with the same blames and accusations about people and will not take responsibility for bad reactions. I spend a lot of time on the phone just listening to it all but now I am at the point I can't just sit there at take it on board. When I try and say something she abuses me.

Aside to this she is abusive, physically and verbally and I do not want to see her in person as I am actually scared for my safety at times, in the past I have made mistakes of not implementing boundaries but now I have had to since I have had a baby. Most days I can remain empathetic and truely listen to her downloads on the phone but as of late I can not stand it and its weighing on my own mental health, I dont know what I should do now, as she constantly says that she should just end her life - and I feel the responsibility of being there for her as an only sibling.

I really feel for people with BPD and for their families. It has been so hard for ours and at times brought alot of shame and very difficult to talk about to friends & family. But Im in the process of trying to lift that and be more accepting - but i'd like to hear from anyone else that has perhaps been through this or similar.

Thankyou so much
Kwamina
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 08:00:38 AM »

Hi Dahlia_fields Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

BPD is a very challenging disorder. Sadly, certain people with this disorder indeed exhibit suicidal tendencies.

Quite some time has passed since you made this post, how is the situation with your sister now? Is she still making comments about ending her life?

She is your sister, yet it is clear that her behavior is abusive on various levels, including a threat to your physical safety.

Your own well-being is definitely the main priority, especially now that you have a baby, it is crucial to set and enforce/defend boundaries with your sister. This to protect yourself and your family.

But since she's your sister, I also understand your concerns for her well-being, particularly considering her suicidal tendencies. Has your sister ever gotten any kind of targeted treatment for her issues? Has she ever gotten any kind of professional help?

Take care Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

The Board Parrot

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest