Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 10:53:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Expert insight for adult children
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
How to spot a liar
Pamela Meyer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victim, I was making rash decisions w/o thinking about what I really wanted.  (Read 405 times)
Pea8
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling
Relationship status: Brother

« on: June 16, 2020, 04:32:10 AM »

Hello
My brother has been chronically ill all his life and has OCD, our relationship was difficult growing up. He was an angry young boy - in hindsight I have more compassion - but at the time I felt bullied.  Looking back I think I left home to go to uni just because I wanted to escape.  I felt I was making rash decisions without thinking about what I really wanted.  

We are better now, but I feel that I’m still being the ‘victim’ in my life even though I live far away from my family.  I feel like I’ve perpetuated this role through my young adult years.  

I love my husband very much but I don’t want my issues to affect our marriage in the future.  

I’ve had some hard times, and husband has been as supportive as he can, good thing is that he doesn’t entertain my ‘victim’ role - he tells me I have to decide for myself.  I’m now on antidepressants and feel this is really helping.  

But I still really don’t know what to do with my life to feel successful and take more responsibility.  I want to feel I’m contributing equally to my marriage. But I have very low resilience in conflict and this has affected me at work.  If someone tells me I’m doing a bad job - I’ll just quit.  

I have taken some other quite harsh steps against myself - including saying that I won’t have children.  I’m conflicted on this because, I do feel that there are too many people in the world, but I also think I may be just making this choice because I don’t feel that I ‘deserve’ it.  

Any advice and thoughts would be welcome!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 11:41:00 AM by Harri, Reason: moved from Psych. Answers and Questions and changed title pursuant to guideline 1.5 » Logged
Kwamina
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 08:15:28 AM »

Hi Pea8 and welcome to our online community Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

It isn't easy for a child growing up with a BPD sibling. This can really affect people long into their adult lives. Based on what you've shared, you've clearly also been very much affected by the interactions with your brother.

When you were younger, how did your parents view your brothers behavior? What did they do when your brother was misbehaving and mistreating you?

You are now an adult, but like many of us, you realize that you have certain struggles related to what you've been through growing up.

Have you ever gotten any support to help you deal with your ow struggles?

We have a resource here that is very helpful for adults who suffered childhood abuse:
Survivors' Guide for Adults who suffered Childhood Abuse

This guide helps us assess where we are in our healing, what issues we are currently dealing with, and how to move forward from here. The guide takes us from survivor to thriver though 3 main stages: 1. Remembering --> 2. Mourning --> 3. Healing.

Each stage consists of 7 steps. The healing process described, isn't necessarily linear though, in fact often isn't and we will often find ourselves revisiting steps we had visited before.

When you look at the guide, where do you feel you are right now?

What would you say are the main elements listed that you find yourself most struggling with?

The Board Parrot

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest