Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 11:41:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MIL and Hoarding New Member  (Read 404 times)
Waffles
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw
Relationship status: I'm her daughter-in-law

« on: June 24, 2020, 03:08:47 PM »

This is my first post. I've been a lurker off and on for years here. My MIL is a diagnosed text book BPD waif/hermit who has factitious disorder and is a hoarder.

My MIL fell in April and wasn't found until 3 days later. She's currently in rehab learning to walk again. The neighbor who found her alerted us to the extent of her hoarding. My husband and his siblings flew to her state and are cleaning out her home with her knowledge and consent. Her desire is to move back home and also to spend down her money to get back on Medicaid.

We've already run into a few problems. While she wants to be on Medicaid she doesn't want to spend her money. Her home needs several repairs. Her children will need to be reimbursed for the dumpster etc. She asked one child to call a family member and explain what's going on with her. He did as she asked and she chewed him out for it.

I'm just wondering if any of you have had a similar experience and how it turned out? Even though they're planning on making the house safe and homey I can see her becoming enraged when she sees it. What are your thoughts?
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 07:15:09 PM »

Hi Waffles and welcome out of lurker mode!

Is she still in rehab?

Unfortunately, if she is still considered to be competent, I am not sure there is much you can do in terms of intervention for her.  If she is a danger to herself, perhaps (thinking of the hoarding here, though I think it has to be pretty bad). 

Have you talked with Elder Services in her area?  They really are the best place to start in terms of getting advice. 

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Kwamina
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 08:36:12 AM »

Hi Waffles Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Joining Harri in welcoming you to our online community Welcome

Quite concerning that your mother-in-law fell and wasn't found until three days later. She is now in rehab learning to walk again. Does she have a positive prognosis? I hope she makes a speedy recovery Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Unfortunately, she also has other issues. BPD is quite a challenging disorder indeed. You mention her being diagnosed, when did that happen?

How do your husband and his siblings feel about your MIL's behavior?

The Board Parrot

PS. Good to see you come out of Lurk Mode. I will be remaining in Parrot Mode though!  Smiling (click to insert in post)

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 10:55:40 AM »

Hi  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

I wanted to join the others and say welcome.

My thought was reach out to the Rehab facility see if they have a Case Manager or Social Worker working with your mom,  explain your safety concerns, cleanliness, fall risk etc.  They maybe able to set up some psych visits regarding the hoarding (that might help with some of her other issues) and some home care visits to assist with her recovery from the fall.

Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest