Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 06:49:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guilt - wanting to pretend it’s not happening  (Read 405 times)
Sillyusername

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: In contact but lives elsewhere

« on: June 26, 2020, 07:52:31 AM »

My son (21 - undiagnosed but fits every symptom and my Dad and Sister had/have BPD) is no longer living with me after a drama filled couple of years with stalking charges, drug addiction etc. He’s in a toxic relationship with a girl with similar issues and the drama cycle and verbal abuse i was getting was making me unwell so I suggested he lived with his Dad. I’ve worked on my codependency issues and my therapist explained not to be too hard on myself as I’m a mum and it’s hard to watch your child in pain. That helped. But I now rarely see my son and feel he only comes when he needs something. It hurts. I’m planning to move 30 mins away and live with my partner (I’d avoided this previously as didn’t want my son to feel abandoned) but I’m Scared I am going to trigger those feelings in him and I feel guilt. I also kind of don’t want to see him and pretend everything is ok which is selfish as I know from his Dad that our son isn’t great as his dads mum died recently..
My son is hurting and I feel bad that I don’t even want to contact him to see how he is.. cos previously he’s told me to eff off and blocked me when I have. I’ve sent a couple of short messages this week which have been unanswered.. I’m feeling guilty for not feeling that interested in the latest drama because if my son had a physical illness I wouldn’t be like this

Bit of a ramble I know..
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Mutt
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 10:43:16 PM »

Hi Sillyusername,

You mentioned CD and I can with relate with feeling guilty and putting others needs in front of your own. I think that compassion is good but you also need to protect yourself from from harm. It’s good that you protected yourself and didn’t want have harmful behavior directed at you. I can also relate with you with sending messages and not getting a response and how that hurts.

That’s a part of BPD is not knowing how to handle or having the proper skills on how to handle interpersonal r/s’s, it pushes people away. It’s easier said than done but read as you can about BPD and become I different to the behaviors. I’m not saying to put up his verbal diarrhea- you did the right thing and you put space in between both of you keep that up and defend that boundary.

A half hour away is not terribly far - you have a right to your own happiness . You’re not going far away and despite his pushing behavior you showed that you care by sending a message his in your thoughts. Try to let go of those guilty feelings.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest