Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 04:17:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apartment prior to filing?  (Read 362 times)
Reawakening

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: July 01, 2020, 07:55:04 PM »

Hi all! I recently left stbxBPDh and I am staying with family. Does anyone foresee a problem with me securing an apartment prior to filing for divorce? StbxBPDh is still in the house which is only in my name. I am the breadwinner and I am paying the mortgage while this unfolds, and I’m hoping to eventually sell it.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:46:32 PM »

First, let me ask whether you have our highly recommended handbook to prepare you for the future, William Eddy's Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder.  It guides you through what to say and not say in court, how to select a proactive lawyer, how courts typically work, what your priorities should be, especially if you have children, the benefits of counselors, quick psych evals and in-depth custody evals, issues when splitting assets, etc.

If you haven't consulted a few experienced and proactive lawyers yet to get a reasonable sense of where you stand, that would be good to do now.  Not just any lawyer will do.  Some just file forms and hold hands.  You need one experienced with negotiating, intense court appearances and a lot of practical strategies.

Good that the residence is only in your name.  You may still need his signature somewhere or guidance from the court to do what you want, such as sell your house.  Sounds like your stbEx is a skilled moocher?  Odds are the marriage is not long enough for a court to order long term alimony, but it might order some short term spousal support or alimony to aid him to transition from married life to post-divorce life.  This is where we cue the background music "get off your duff and get to work".  He will resist it of course but that is the theme you ought to get mentioned at every single court hearing.

You never let him adopt your daughter, right?  Then odds are the court will not be inclined to grant him parenting time.

You will probably have a hard time getting him out of the house.  A local lawyer can advise you on how your state's court would handle it.  Whatever else, never ever state that you consider him disabled or unable to work in case that would gain him added status or benefits in your divorce.  He is an adult, that is his responsibility, not yours.  Helping him could mean the opposite for you, sabotaging yourself.

The only concern I might have about you getting an apartment is whether your local lawyer would advise you to get him to move out first so you could return and reside in your house.  If you get a more permanent residence than where you are now then he would at least conclude you've become settled elsewhere so why should he move?  A lawyer may advise it makes lawyer's job a little tougher.

In summary, what advice have you gotten from local family law lawyers?  Are you thinking that selling the house is the least distressing way to facilitate the unwinding of the marriage and him out of your life?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 08:52:57 PM by ForeverDad » Logged

turtleengine501

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 07:26:13 PM »

From a psychological standpoint, I would recommend it. It gives you a great space with some peace so you can begin to heal. I set up a rental home before I finally told my stbx that I was leaving for good. It made it so much easier--especially because he didn't know where it was at first and it's in a gated community. It also sends the message that you are serious. The two times I left before and moved in with relatives, he was able to persuade me to come home.

I ended up giving up the marital home--it wasn't the hill I wanted to die on and it seemed to be for him. It made it much easier knowing that I had something already set up for my girls and me.

My lawyer (CA) told me it didn't matter if I moved out first and then wanted to claim the house. She actually recommended me leaving the marital home because he has no right to come into my personal rental home, but he could always come back into the marital home until the divorce was final.

Good luck!

"When you enter a relationship you become part of a story, many times you are given a role in a play you did not sign up for." Esther Perel
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest