Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 09:12:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The rest of the world is wrong and she is always right.  (Read 346 times)
Sapped
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Mom of 17 yr old living at home

« on: July 03, 2020, 10:31:10 PM »

I am a mom of a 17yr old daughter with BPD.  I am basically the person she blames for everything that is wrong or perceived to be wrong in her life. I find my self distancing from her as much as possible to avoid her anger. I have 5 other children who are doing pretty good in life and even they see the way she is and are frustrated by having to walk on eggshells around her.  I have had her in therapy and seeing both a therapist and psychiatrist for over 3 years and no matter what they recommend she has an excuse as to why the rest of the world is wrong and she is always right. Looking forward to learning some ways to cope with all of this and finding people who understand.  
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:16:47 AM by Harri, Reason: changed title pursuant to guideline 1.5 » Logged
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 10:20:25 AM »

Welcome.
 It is great your daughter is in therapy.   What I would recommend for you is :(1) Do some reading on BPD, like " Walking on Eggshells".  What this book first recommends is putting the focus on you and not the BPD.  That was a very new concept for me when I first read the book. (2). You reached out here, and we can be part of a support network for you .  Many of us , including myself , also go to our own therapists separate from the BPD kid.  (3) I ( and many here) also go to free 12 step programs for family members ( like alanon or nar anon, or coda).  These help teach detachment and putting the focus on us ( very hard to do). 
Please take a look here, on the pull down tabs.  You can also click onto anyone's name and see their posts to get their back story.

The main thing to remember , though, is BPD doesn't clear up overnight, and there is no magic thing that makes it better.   Two steps forward , 3 steps backward sometimes.  Please feel free to come and share more of your story, or if you need to vent, we are here for you.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest