Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 06:30:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD Boyfriend broke up with me  (Read 1101 times)
Flightfar

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Brokenup

« on: July 06, 2020, 06:42:10 AM »

So my boyfriend dumped me out of the blue over a month ago. We managed to be together for almost a year. The day before the breakup he said how I am the love of his life and that he could not hope for a better girlfriend for himself. The next day he got a scene from when I hadn't sent him a ''Good morning''-message as soon as I woke up. I explained that to him and told him how he does the same thing now and then and I'm okay with that because sometimes you want to do the morning activities in peace and then chat to another in peace and it doesn't make my boyfriend less important. After that, he told me to go to hell and that he NEVER wants to hear anything from me again. He said really horrible things about me, for example that ''his mental health will return to normal when he no longer hears from me''.

Since then, he has blocked me everywhere. I have tried to contact him and couple weeks ago I received a text from him where he said ''Crazy bitch, find a new boyfriend''. He has unblocked me a few times and I don't know what to think about that too. I don't know what to do, I feel so lost and confused. I've always been just a loving girlfriend for him and I don't know what I did to upset him so badly... He has had worse periods every now and then but not so long like this time. Always before he has come to apologize his behaviour somehow but now it has been a really long time. He suffers from depression too. In his good periods he is really loving and wonderful person. During the last month I've felt that I'm losing my mind. I don't know what to think about this situation and how to move on. I wish I could at least get an apology from him...
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Domino

Relationship status: Dating

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 07:16:17 AM »

I'm sorry this has happened to you. It sounds like you've been treated quite unfairly. As partners of people with BPD we accept that our significant others may not always act rationally. But generally the good times outweigh the bad and that's why we stick it out?

My question to you would be 'why do you want him back'? It sounds like he's been quite nasty and perhaps you might be better off looking elsewhere. I would ask yourself what your motivations are? Do you think that if you were together you would be able to change him? Make him realise what a wonderful person he is? Because you wont. That desire to change has to come from within.

I have spent the last eight months trying to help my suicidal girlfriend. I wake every morning to threats of suicide, threats to have me arrested for beating her (I don't), and spend hours and hours each day talking through her problems because she's quit therapy and cut everyone else out of her life. I beg her to restart therapy, I beg her to reach out to her friends and family. But she wont.

Why do I put up with this? Part of me knows she's in a bad place and I remember the amazing, smart, loving, fun woman I fell in love with. But I've been going through a lot of therapy myself in the wake of all this and realised I'm pre-programmed for this type of relationship. I grew up with a severely disabled father who was dependent on me. This relationship, having someone that relies on me, is just another perpetuation of the relationships I am used to.

But I have realised I cannot save my girlfriend. I cannot force her to get better. It has to come from her. In the same way, you cannot force your boyfriend to act kindly and rationally. You cannot force him back into the boy you fell in love with. That has to come from him. And if he is not in a place to get better then you need to ask yourself why you are staying? Because it sounds like its not very healthy for you...
Flightfar

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 09:03:40 AM »

I have decided that if he comes back this time, I do not take him back unless he does everything he can do to get help. And now, surely, the most important thing to do would be to just focus on myself, but this phase of crisis is still on :/ I'm still hurt by his actions... And so confused about how his mind can change so fast and what he's looking for in all this.

Thanks for your reply, Domino. It helped a lot. I really need to start focusing on myself and thinking about my own motives. It is certain that we cannot save anyone with our love :/
Flightfar

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 12:07:48 PM »

I would also like to know what to except. Is there any chance that he would at least apologize to me? His bad episodes have never lasted that long and have not been so hostile, so makes me wonder... And did he mean that he never wanted to hear anything from me again? Is that common that they say that? It feels so absurd that he got mad at me for something so small and broke up with me...
Pakichu

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Ex girlfriend

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 10:42:16 AM »

Hey flightfar,
I've been reading all the follow ups of your story as mine in pretty similar to yours. Bpd boyfriend broke up with me over a very small thing ( At least according to me, maybe not to him). It's been like 11 days. Last night he finally blocked me from the only place where I was unblocked but also told me that I can call him on his cell phone if I ever need him. I don't wanna seem too desperate because it might frighten him. At the same time, I've been feeling very lost too as I've kinda sensed that he really doesn't wanna continue our relationship.
Any update on your part ?
Football2000

Relationship status: Broken heart

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 12:34:16 PM »

I think it's hard to know what to expect in this situation. The behaviors you have described could come from someone with BPD or something else, actually. And as we know, BPD and other personality disorders are like shorthand and variation is still great within these categories.

For BPD, research has shown that over time certain traits are more likely to go into remission than others. I think one of the most likely to go into remission is unstable self-identity. In this regard, it might be good if your boyfriend has time by himself to develop that...of course, that's assuming that he has that in the first place.

So I guess what I am saying is that it's pretty hard to tell in this case what might happen. Even in a clinical setting what happens is clinicians use the methods most likely to work and hope for the best.

Just take care of yourself, and allow yourself to grieve for what you have lost. Do not blame yourself. A loss of a relationship is like a death, and you need to allow yourself to cry about that.
Flightfar

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 01:59:41 PM »

Thank you for your replies. They help me a lot.

I'm sorry this has happened to you too, Pakichu. I know the confusion.

My boyfriend was really nasty to me and I wonder deeply if he won't regret his actions and show his remorse... He has a really caring, sensitive and kind personality. When a ''borderline rage'' comes, he becomes a completely different person and this episode has lasted so long.

I think he also has a bad depression going on. He probably can't stand the relationship right now and pushed me away by being nasty. His emotions around me were probably so overwhelming that he needs a long break now?

I don't want to believe that he meant when he said ''I NEVER want to see you again''... It feels so exaggerated, especially since he has said same thing before and has come back. But I don't know if he really meant it this time, when more than a month has passed...

He has had relationships before me in which he has been rejected. So he has traumas. In addition, he currently has a lot of stress in his life.

It has been really hard to live in uncertainty... It has also been difficult to start grieving because of this uncertainty :/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 02:13:41 PM by Flightfar » Logged
Football2000

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »

Just curious, do you guys fight about anything in particular, or are there recurring types of fights? Or is it more like random out of the blue really bad moods that he has?
Pakichu

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 11:03:52 PM »

Hey FlightFar,
I don't know how to console you and more than a month is a lot. I feel like you're a very strong human being. It's great that you're still hoping and honestly I want to hope too. I don't wanna bury our relationship either. It was the best relationship I ever had and I don't wanna give up on it.
Just curious if you tried to contact him after that in some way?
Flightfar

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 06:39:40 AM »

Football2000: These situations are due to his random out of the blue bad moods. :/ I avoid conflicts until the last and I have never gone along with his dramas. When this situation started I just tried to calm him down and maybe he got triggered more because of that...? He may just suddenly get depressed and enraged about something completely insignificant (at least according to me).

Pakichu: Thank you for your words. Stay strong too. Is this the first time your BPD boyfriend left you? I would say that time helps and shows what is going to happen. One day at a time. Meanwhile, the most important thing for us is to try focus on ourselves.
And yes, I have tried to contact him. I have sent messages, in which I ask what is the situation and how is he, told that I still care about him and that I hope we could sort out this situation... He has either completely ignored me or answered something really nasty. Now I haven't heard from him in three weeks. Btw, what does that mean when he has unblocked me a few times, although he has said he does not want anything from me anymore? Has anyone experienced this? This uncertainty is torturous.
Pakichu

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 07:02:19 AM »

This is the second time he has broken up with me. He came back after like 3-4h after our first break up. But now it's been 12 days. I have tried to reach him through zoom chat ( As he blocked me from all other social sites). Most of the times he didn't respond at all, but then one or two times he just said 'go away', whereas I've been telling him that I love him and I'm here for him if he needs me. The last time he replied was two days ago when I started sharing to him how bad the environment of my house is now because of my brother. I didn't expect him to reply but he did ( He was less harsh this time). But then he blocked from Zoom too and left me a message saying 'I have opened my mobile phone. Call me if you need me.' Idk what to do now. It's been two days after that and 12 days of our break up. I don't wanna seem desperate but at the same time I am fearing of losing him if I don't do anything. Any suggestions?
I know I should focus on myself but I'm still in a very vulnerable position now. It's hard for me to distract myself from thinking about him let alone doing sth productive. I wonder when along the way I lost to love myself. How do you love yourself? Do share what you do.

Also, no I'm sorry idk why he is unblocking you. I feel like he still wants to see your pictures or activities and he misses you, but doesn't want to be too close.
Flightfar

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 07:58:32 AM »

Pakichu: I know the feeling and I'm still in that vulnerable position and I feel broken almost all the time. It's really hard to distract yourself from thinking about that person. I've been there and still am but day by day has made it easier and I promise it to you too. It undeniably feels very awful when the person you love suddenly leaves and blocks you and gives no proper explanations...Talking to friends, reading discussions about the subject and getting peer support have helped me. Piece by piece start rebuilding yourself and try to enjoy your own life. Surely there was nothing wrong with you.

Maybe your boyfriend needs time and space? I feel like my boyfriend has gone farther away from me, because I've sent him those messages and they may have distressed him more if he doesn't feel well and wants to be alone now. :/ Nevertheless, the situation was not and is not fair to me and I hope he realizes it...
Pakichu

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 09:02:25 AM »

Did it ever occurr to you that you may have more abandonment issue than the person with bpd? Idk I've felt very mistreated, yet I'm the one who wants to sort out our situation. That's why lately I've been having this particular feeling how I'm so much obsessed with my boyfriend and just can't let go.
Flightfar

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 09:33:06 AM »

Pakichu: I don't know, maybe. I have been rejected a few times in the past. But not like this. This doesn't make any sense to me. :/ How can someone be so lovely and caring towards you and then tell you absolutely horrible things and block you everywhere? I have never been so hurt like this. My brain is trying so hard to deal with this situation :/ I understand that it is only the mental health problems that force him to hurt his loved ones, but... :/ I feel so mentally tired and emotionally drained...

I think it's normal that your ex spins in your mind when not much time has passed... And of course these situations feel very bad and your brain is trying to figure it all out... :/
Pakichu

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 12:01:38 PM »

Thank you for the talk. It does help, really. This is the only place I've been able to fully express myself.
Do keep updating if sth new happens to your relationship or even with you. I hope you all the best.
Flightfar

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 04:28:33 AM »

Pakichu: Yes, it's important to find peer support. I will update if something happens. I hope you all the best too and also come to update if you feel like it.
Pakichu

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 06:23:18 AM »

New update:
I haven't contacted my ex for the last 4 days. However, today he unblocked me from zoom and wrote 'Daniel Sloss: Live show episode 2'. I got that he wants me to watch the episode. If you watch the episode you'll see how the comedian talks about relationship during the entire show. He keeps telling his bad experiences of his relationship and how he wants the partner to die n stuff. There's a lot of other things he keeps saying and the fact that how relationship is bullPLEASE READ. At first, I kinda became happy seeing his message but after seeing the show I realized how much he hates me and wants to hurt me. The show was very much triggering. This is the first time I am angry at him and not sad for him. It was too much to take
Flightfar

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 07:11:53 AM »

Pakichu: What the heck? I'm so so sorry that you have to go through this! Remember, he just wants to hurt and provoke you. He's clearly in devaluation phase. Don't give him any attention.

My boyfriend also told me how our relationship is bullPLEASE READ and that I'm not a good girlfriend to him but maybe for someone else. All that after he had praised me. When I think about of all those nasty things he has said to me, I feel so much anger.

Pakichu

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2020, 09:45:00 AM »

Yeah I'm pretty determined that I won't knock him or call him anymore. Actually I was doing that pretty well until this message he sent me today. I know it's over between us, it's just weird that he has to hurt me and make it worse.
Flightfar

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 10:13:19 AM »

Yeah, not worth it when he has that phase going on. Let him live his life there and wonder if his behavior was wise.

I'm also afraid that my ex will send a message to me when I'm doing better. It feels so absurd that he could go on with his life after hurting me, so maybe he contacts me at some point... I just don't know how long that devaluation phase will take... Previous ''breakups'' have only lasted a couple of days. This has been a terrible emotional roller coaster.
Pakichu

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 10:33:56 AM »

Yeah I hope he won't do that and lives his own life. It's already hard enough.
Pakichu

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2020, 02:45:30 PM »

Hey I just needed an advice.
So, I had gone out of contact from all of my friends for like 16 days. I deactivated my Facebook account as well. But today I thought I was ready to activate again and talk to my friends. But the thing is, me and my ex are a part of a friend group. I regret that now because it will change the whole pattern of our interaction with the group. Anyway, so Facebook has this horrible system now where you can see a person's message on a group chat even if they're blocked from your account. So, basically I can see all of his messages and he can see mine. Weirdly he talked a lot in the group during my absence and shared random links now and then. I'm assuming he was lonely. Anyway, today I sent a message to the group addressing one of my friends there. My ex had seen the message but after that he stopped seeing any messages of that group and didn't even talk in the group conversation the whole day. I know I'm the one he's trying to avoid so hard but it's kinda never possible as we have so many mutual friends and we're both in 2-3 of friends groups. I feel like I made a very uncomfortable situation for him, but at the same time I need to talk to people too. They are as much as my friends as his. All of us are more comfortable in talking in the group than individually with each other.  Any suggestions what I can do now? 
Flightfar

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 12:09:45 PM »

Oh no, that's a tricky situation. I think everything will be fine as long as your ex doesn't put your mutual friends against you or something like that. You have every right to keep in touch with your friends. I don't think you should care what your ex thinks about that. Life should go on normally even if you broke up.

Today is exactly a month since I received the last hostile message from my ex. I don't know if this is now the famous silent treatment? I'm still blocked by him. I feel like I'm on a verge of an emotional/mental breakdown and it's so hard to focus on other things. I'm thinking when he is in his episodes he's feeling bad about himself but blames me for everything. He also drinks alcohol when he's lonely and depressed and I think he has drunk a lot in these last couple of months. I don't think BPD and alcohol fit together anyway. He then becomes really angry and unpredictable.

But I don't know what to do. I haven't sent him a message in a couple of weeks now. I haven't got any sign of life from him and I'm a bit worried. But apparently sending messages just doesn't help in this situation.
Pakichu

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2020, 12:53:58 AM »

I can't believe how much it is hard for you to live without any trace of him and it's normal that you would be worried. But not sending a message is a better option. If he starts saying nasty things again you have to start everything from 0, which basically happened to me after the last message my ex sent me. As it is still very fresh so I'll suggest you to mourn but at the same time set some goals for yourself and measure how much you're achieving each day. At this point, I'm not going to give you any hope that he will come back. Because you and I are more or less in the same situation and that's how I feel. I won't deny the fact that I still do have hope but at the same time I have the worst case scenario in mind, which is him not ever coming back. It's hard to get productive having all these in mind. It's just always there in your mind. But you know what they say, time heals everything. I hope that time comes soon for both you and me. I'm glad I got to talk about it here and getting support from you.
Flightfar

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2020, 03:16:37 AM »

Yeah, me and my ex-boyfriend don't have mutual friends from whom to ask if he's okay and he has removed himself from social media. I also dare not send a message to his family when he has certainly talked sh*t about me to them. And he threatened to call the cops if I went to visit him.
I've done so well in these last couple of weeks when I haven't sent messages anymore. But the uncertainty is torturous and sometimes there are weak moments when I really want to send him a message but it would be of no use. I don't know if he even reads my texts.
I have come to the conclusion that I somehow triggered his fear of abandonment or he just has such a bad depression going on that he can't stand the relationship right now. He just plays video games and drinks alcohol everyday. He just doesn't see that I really care about him and would like to help. In the spring he was willing to get medication, but now, again, he has this phase where he believes nothing will help.
Clearly, even those hate messages have been symptoms of BPD and depression...

But how are you doing, Pakichu? Have you seen your friends or family and tried to do things to get your ex out of your mind even for a little time?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 03:22:58 AM by Flightfar » Logged
Flightfar

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »

Update: Today I was spending a nice summer day with my friend and I finally tried to enjoy things. But it all was clearly too much as I had a panic attack for the first time in my life. It felt like I was dying. This situation, especially this silent treatment, destroys my mental health completely.

How do I get my ex to realize his actions? How do I get him to come to even apologize? What can I do? I don't know how to cope with this. I cry as I write this. I'm so emotionally drained. There's nothing more horrible than feeling hated by a person you love. I have never cried this much.
Football2000

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2020, 10:37:49 AM »

Update: Today I was spending a nice summer day with my friend and I finally tried to enjoy things. But it all was clearly too much as I had a panic attack for the first time in my life. It felt like I was dying. This situation, especially this silent treatment, destroys my mental health completely.

How do I get my ex to realize his actions? How do I get him to come to even apologize? What can I do? I don't know how to cope with this. I cry as I write this. I'm so emotionally drained. There's nothing more horrible than feeling hated by a person you love. I have never cried this much.

I think you did something good for yourself: spending time with family and friends. That you had a panic attack is okay. You can try again.

As for getting him to realize his actions...well, I think that is not something you can really do. What you can do is sometime in the future when you're ready, write him a letter as honest as you can with how you feel about the situation. Don't try and spare his feelings. It won't necessarily get him to realize his actions but it might bring you some closure that you at least said what you needed to say.

Then, if he wants to, he can muster enough awareness to say sorry and contact you, or he can continue without self development and there's not much you can do about that.
Pakichu

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2020, 02:36:18 PM »

Hey FlightFar,

I also appreciate the fact that you decided to spend time with your friend. It's totally fine that you felt so anxious, I'm sure your friend understood. Eventually we all have to go out and socialize again( I'm assuming lockdown is going on wherever you stay). What I'm suggesting is, these are some baby steps. And I feel very happy that you took it.

I totally understand that a lot of questions are coming through your mind. Same goes for myself. I think Football2000 made a very good point. In the future if you feel like you want a closure, do not hesitate to write to him. People are different. Some are okay with no closure, some are not. It gets hard when your partner is the opposite of you and it's more painful because you can't do anything about it. In the meantime, I'll suggest you to question them to yourself and write them down, have meaningful conversation with yourself. Also stay hydrated and take care of yourself.   
hopeandbelief

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2020, 03:10:34 PM »

There's nothing more horrible than feeling hated by a person you love.

I think most of us that have been split black can relate to that, and I completely agree: it's one of the worst feelings I've ever had and one of the worst situations I've faced in my entire life.

I'm terribly sorry I can't help you or anyone else that have gone through this, but maybe knowing many of us can relate to this and feel your pain may be helpful.

Wishing you all the best on your recover, stay strong!
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2020, 08:05:20 PM »

Staff only This thread has reached the posting limits and has been locked. The discussion continues here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=345584.0

We are more than just our stories.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest