Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 01:10:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just wondering  (Read 342 times)
moon flair
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: My 23 year old daughter

« on: July 06, 2020, 06:19:15 PM »

My daughter was diagnosed with BPD about 6 years ago.  She recently was hospitalized for 31 days and then went to a treatment facility for 3.5 months.  She took a downward turn after college graduation when all her friends were able to move on towards adulthood and she just couldn't. 
As parents we are just so worried she will never be able to have a successful, content life. 
Does anyone have a positive story they can share of a child that struggled for years but was able to pull it together?
She has been self harming severely for 7 years and has scars over 80% of her body.  She is developmentally about 9 although chronologically about to turn 24. 
I'm just so sad for my child and the future she may never have.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Huat

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 04:59:21 PM »

Hello Clara Catherine and welcome.

Glad you found this forum...sorry you had need to.

Your question..."Does anyone have a positive story they can share of a child that struggled for years but was able to pull it together"...shows the same need that all of us have...hope/affirmation that our situations can change for the better. 

While my story is not your story, we do share the common denominator of sharing a relationship with a troubled child.  For sure there are others here who relate more.  Hopefully soon your post will bring replies from them.

Needless to say, this journey has been a difficult one for you and your family...your daughter.  It brings tears to my eyes to read she has scars over 80% of her body.

Since coming out of the treatment facility has there been any follow-up for her?  As parents, have you had the opportunity to go to counselling so to find ways to better deal with her behaviours?

You have all of that to handle and then comes along this world-wide pandemic that just adds to the stress you already had!   Enough already, right?

Hope you keep coming back to share, Clara Catherine.  In reality there are no quick fixes but I hope you find, as I have, that by putting fingers on the keyboard and pouring out your heart and your hurts, comes some relief.  In the years I have been participating in this forum, reading so many posts, I know your story is not unique.  You are not alone in your troubles.

Huat

wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 05:43:07 AM »

Hello Clara Catherine   Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

I join Huat in welcoming you to our community. I understand your worry and so sad to read what you are going through with your DD, parents here relate, you are not alone.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

My DD struggled for years, hit crisis at 26 and was diagnosed (2015), and is now managing very well day to day. DD is not living independently yet, though continues to move gradually in the right direction through continuing treatment and support, she's gaining confidence, building skills and resilience. And finding peace.

Can you explain what '9 yrs developmentally' means. Is that part of the diagnosis? I think what helped me is to understand the context of my DD's struggles as our children are unique. It's very complicated and certainly a challenge for us, it is doable and requires patience and resolve. Reading through the resources here and posts helped me do that, gradually overtime, taking a day at a time. And of course learning the skills how to communicate with our sensitive children who are often desperate to feel heard and understood.

As Huat asks is there follow up treatment ... how's your DD taken to the recent time in hospital and the facility?

Glad you found us CC.

WDx

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest