Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 05:22:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Our abuse recovery guide
Survivor to Thriver | Free download.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hate. My mother’s last conversation with me a week before she died.  (Read 393 times)
Petpig
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Daughter

« on: July 07, 2020, 05:23:14 PM »

My mother’s last conversation with me a week before she died was to tell me what an awful person I had been for the last fifty years
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:59:07 PM by Harri, Reason: Changed title pursuant to guideline 1.5 » Logged
Kwamina
Retired Staff

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 08:37:14 PM »

Hi Petpig,

I am very sorry your last conversation with your mother, just a week before she died, went like this. Did she pass away recently?

How are you currently holding up?

You titled this post 'Hate', is this in reference to what your mother expressed to you, or about your own feelings now toward your mother?

Take care Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

The Board Parrot

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
Methuen

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 11:04:07 PM »

I too am very sorry your last conversation with your mom went like this.  It must be very very painful. 

I know nothing about your situation.  But pwBPD have a lot of patterns with their thoughts and behaviors.  I am not surprised your mom did this.  I think it could happen to many of us here.  You are not alone.

I'm going to take a risk and put out an idea here: when your mom said that, there is a possibility that what she said to you, was a reflection of how she felt about herself.  It's called "projection": they scream things at us that are a reflection of how they feel about themselves...blaming us is their self-defense because their disease won't let them be aware of their own weaknesses, and therefore they can never work on these weaknesses to improve themselves.  Their emotions are so uncontrollable that they eventually explode and dump all that toxic stuff onto their loved ones.  Believe it or not, it's the loved ones that get the worst abuse.  I guess what I'm saying here is that just because she said it, doesn't make it true. 

I'll bet you're not at all an "awful" person.  I'll bet you're like the rest of us here.  Sad, angry, confused, conflicted, grieving, resentful...and just trying to do the best you can under difficult circumstances, and survive another crisis.

We're here for you.  How are you managing right now?
Petpig
Fewer than 3 Posts

Relationship status: Daughter

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 12:43:30 PM »

This happened 25 yr. ago.  My Anger is gone.  I think hurt is still there, and problems from never been validated by my mother. Like a child crying out for help.  Fortunately have understanding husband. 

Kwamina
Retired Staff

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 03:05:31 PM »

Hi again Petpig,

I am glad you have an understanding husband Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Having a disordered and invalidating mother can really hurt people.

What are the main hurts and problems you find yourself dealing with now?

We have a resource here that can be very helpful for adults who suffered childhood abuse:
Survivors' Guide for Adults who suffered Childhood Abuse

The guide takes us from survivor to thriver though 3 main stages: 1. Remembering --> 2. Mourning --> 3. Healing. Each stage consists of 7 steps. It's a tool to help us assess where we are in our healing and how to move forward.

When you look at the guide, where do you feel you are right now?

Are there any elements listed that particularly resonate with what you find yourself currently dealing with?

The Board Parrot

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
delia211

Relationship status: estranged

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 05:41:50 PM »

Very sorry for this painful memory.  I can definitely understand it being difficult to come to terms with.  It hits home a bit.  The night before I left to go away to school, my BPD mother told me out of the blue that I had been a terrible child.  It was very shocking and hurtful and I still struggle to make sense of it, but I think that because she was unable to come to terms with how badly she had always treated me, she needed to blame me and justify it to herself.  I think the same thing likely happened in your case.  Sending my thoughts for your healing and grateful to hear of your supportive partner.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest