Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 10:18:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She's Doing Better — I'm Not  (Read 346 times)
RufusTFirefly

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: July 13, 2020, 10:49:07 AM »

This is probably going to be a lot to unload and I'm not exactly sure what I want — maybe just sympathy.

A few weeks ago, my wife (who suffers from BPD) said she didn't think she could get everything she needed in a relationship from me and wanted to open it up to seeing other women (I'm a man — he/him/his). She's not comfortable with me seeing other people and also feels guilty for not being comfortable with it, but she's working on getting over this with a very good therapist that she seems to mesh really well with. In the meantime (or indefinitely into the future), I'm fine with the relationship only being open for her to see other women. Literally zero problem with it, emotionally or otherwise, and, in fact, it's exciting for me because it's improved her mood a lot and had a really positive effect on our sex life. And I like the idea of her getting to explore her bisexuality.

But then a kind of weird thing happened. She told me that actually she might want to see other men, too. This makes me uncomfortable and I can't give a good reason why, but sometimes emotions don't have good reasons. At any rate, I told her it made me uncomfortable and she told me to get over it.

On top of that, a guy just started living with us to get away from an abusive situation that he was dealing with. I like the guy a lot.

I've seen my wife and him getting very touchy around the house and they're spending a lot of time together behind a closed door.

I don't know for sure that anything is happening, but I strongly suspect that it is.

And I really want to be okay with it because I like seeing my wife happy. But it's brought out feelings of jealousy in me that I didn't realize I had and making me feel really bad about myself. When she asks about it, I tell her it's work that's stressing me out (which is also true) because if I tell her the full truth, I'm pretty sure she'll take it the wrong way.

And I can't emphasize enough that I want to be okay with this. She isn't my property and I want her to be happy and I don't want to be telling her not to do something that she's enjoying (and also I don't know for sure what's going on — I could just be overreacting). Also, separate issue, since he's been around, my wife and I haven't been intimate at all. This is how it usually goes when we have a houseguest — because of the way our house is set up, it's very difficult for us to get privacy.

And I'm feeling very crazy. Part of me wishes she would just say that I can see other people, too, but (a) I don't have the time, (b) we don't have the money, (c) I'm not interested in anybody else, and (d) I'm very bad at dating (VERY bad). She has said that she's fine with me seeing other men, but I'm completely straight and don't have any interest in experimenting.

I know that most other husbands would not be okay with this kind of situation. She knows this, too, and I think that's part of what she loves about me — I want her to be free to do whatever she wants.

I don't want to be jealous. I want her to be happy. And I want to feel loved. And I don't want to hold her back from doing things that she wants to do.

I'm sure there's even more to unpack here than I realize, but any thoughts, suggestions, or sympathies would be appreciated.

Thank you!  Smiling (click to insert in post)
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Football2000

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken heart

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 12:49:23 PM »

I think it's clear that you're not okay with her seeing other men and that's fine. It's not something you can just get over. You seem like someone with a lot of empathy. But, that cannot really override everything else and succumbing to only your wife's needs will make you resentful and unhappy. So, I suggest you be honest with yourself about your gut feeling about what you're okay with and what you're not, and set those boundaries.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest