Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 10, 2024, 03:38:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H vindictively advanced several episodes ahead - help me model a response  (Read 366 times)
JaneWrites

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: August 16, 2020, 09:47:39 AM »

While this is a minor dumb situation, I would like to model an appropriate response. My D12 and I sometimes shows together. We found another one we liked, watched 3 episodes while my uBPDh was watching HIS shows (Submarines, Plane Crashes, War and Travel are his genres and he enjoys the self-isolation while watching). We told H and my S10 about this particular show and that they might enjoy it and should catch up. Not only did H decide he liked it, but my D reported he was watching several episodes without me and said he was mad that sometimes we watch shows without him. So clearly he was punishing me.

Hey - whatever - it's a show. But for him, it's a statement that could escalate. I haven't let on that I know yet.  I'm trying to figure out what my attitude should be when I "discover" this when we sit down together in front of the TV next.

Should I acknowledge the slight? Should I shift to "Oh you watched ahead? It IS an addicting show! I'm going to catch up in the other room."
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Baglady

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 02:16:41 PM »

Hi Jane  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Again, I can relate.  The fear of abandonment shows up even over as something as trivial as a T.V. show  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post).   My ex felt so threatened when my son and I would do something as simple as watch a show together without him - even though when he joined in (some of the time but not all of the time) - he was often miserable company because it wasn't about him (he also has strong NPD traits).  The old damned if you do, damned if you don't dance  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post).

Guess you'll have to choose your battles on this one but at least understanding the illogic behind it may help.

One of the oft-repeated things that my ex threw at me during his weeks long rage fest/mental breakdown during his final discard of me was that I loved my son more than him!  According to him,  I should have shown my love to him by abandoning our son (yes our own shared biological child) for him!

Pfft - so glad I don't have to deal with his illogical crap anymore!

Warmly,
B
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 07:46:53 PM »

Should I acknowledge the slight? Should I shift to "Oh you watched ahead? It IS an addicting show! I'm going to catch up in the other room."

You nailed a great response here! I really like it. Can you say this and feel ok with it?

The reason I ask is I've been guilty of offering a response that will deescalate, but inside, I'm angry because I feel that an important value has been violated, or a line crossed. I've had to learn to stay true to my values.

It's been a few days. What did you decide?

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
JaneWrites

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 01:09:02 AM »

It was a little anticlimactic, tbh. I pulled up the show on my laptop as I decided to do a sewing project Sunday. He came through and said, "Oh, are you catching up?" I just said yes I was. I could tell he was acknowledging that I knew what he did.
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 07:32:48 AM »

I kind of like that outcome even better. If he didn't get a reaction, maybe he won't try the tactic again?

The other day my H laughed at me, unkindly. I teared up and shared that it hurt my feelings. He finally apologized and we got it sorted out, but in the days that followed, I noticed he laughed at me time and again. I caught on and just ignored it, and he's quit. Not sure why, unless they're trying to prove their fears of abandonment?

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest