Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 01:42:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do I feel like I’m the one screwing everything up?  (Read 747 times)
AskingWhy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2020, 04:56:30 PM »

One of the main tactics of BPD is projecting blame.  Do not buy into this projection that your W's issues are your fault.  Many of us have fallen into this trap.  It's hard, at first, buy over a period of time, you will learn your partner's issues are not your fault.
TrulyMadlyDeeply

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2020, 08:09:39 PM »

I felt good feelings about him earlier...and then we watched Space Force. And it was a

SPOILER ALERT

episode about open marriage.

Now it all just hurts again. I know he is incapable of understanding. He wants everything. When he wants it. Nothing means anything to him. I know that.

But oh, I just thought marriage was going to be different. You know, respecting those vows. Growing together. Carrying each other.

I want to be able to talk to him about BPD. I see in places where people do and sometimes I think I can try again...and then other times it just feels like he is so messed up on the inside it will be impossible.

I picked him up too many times. It's all so easy for him now.

I expressed surprise that he was using his phone and it was the weekend. "Because I didn't like you." That's what he said. For the last couple of weekends he was determined not to use it, to be present.

And I'm given the answer of a 3-year-old.

He just texted, "That was a tough show."

It all just hurts. I wish I knew people here so I had someone real to talk to. Therapist appt. tomorrow morning, but also kid birthday tomorrow, so there's all that stuff to do to make him feel special.

I just wish my spouse were capable of making me feel special.
TrulyMadlyDeeply

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 07:16:55 AM »

So things blew up, as they have a habit of doing. I'm just not good enough at using the right words.

I pointed out that in Space Force, they are 50, and she's in jail. (I could also have said IT'S MADE UP ANYWAY or that my therapist has yet to see an open marriage work out, but that's neither here or there).

He, again, defended wanting to use a woman as an object once a year, that it's a need he has, and that I'm being selfish and controlling, and once again denying his needs, and that I'm always right.

He brought up the %#(*&#(*$#  dishwasher again about how I'm controlling about that! (see above) I said, that wasn't being controlling, it was an awful dishwasher. What did he care if dishes had to be rewashed? He didn't do them.

I mentioned that he has tried all of that before. He has spent most of his life depressed. I told him it didn't work. When will enough be enough?

More words were exchanged. He tried to tell me that he's been in therapy for six years (or something), that I've barely been in it, that his last therapist said he was not BPD and neither did this one (something to that effect). This wasn't something I knew about with his last therapist.

Tells me I'm not getting any better. I told him if that is the way he felt, then that's serious, I'd sign a release, and he's welcome to speak with my therapist. He called her whatever names and jumped to something else.

Basically, how dare I tell him he can't sleep around when he wants.

It felt over. I was in the dining room, cleaning up the unused birthday decorations (youngest is 11 today) and sob escaped. Guess he was headed up the stairs and told me to stop being dramatic, that our oldest is heading to bed.

Last night I kept thinking about ultimatums. I kept wondering if I could really hang in there long enough to feel more comfortable financially about leaving. But mentally, I don't think I can. If there wasn't Covid, I could at least be GONE on the weekends...but then again, the whole sex thing, and the possibility of him sleeping around behind my back gives me BIG pause. If you remember from a previous thread, he thought donating blood was an effective STD test. :|  I used to tell the kids he was a hero for doing that. He was sitting right there and didn't say a word.

He's been passive aggressive or is it just a cycle? for the last couple weeks now. He's set his alarm to a very loud level...and ignores it. That has long been an issue. After nights up with a sick kid or growing pains with a kid or whatever over the years, I couldn't get back to sleep...and he didn't care. Until this past year. Then he stopped doing that.

He got ready and left the room. No shower, I noticed. That's not a good sign. He used to give me a hug and kiss before leaving. I had read something ages ago about how that guarantees job success. It's just one of those couple-y things we do, ya know? He did that this morning. Just a hug, just held me. Made me cry because I've felt so...just lonely. He said, "well, it wasn't supposed to make you cry." He said something grabbing a ****. He did and I made a noise of protest, he said (jokingly) that he had warned me. He then told me, "I still love you." and left.

I thought maybe I could get through this until his therapy can kick in and he can eventually get meds and maybe see the light. So many maybes. I realize that.

But then...

Wait. I still love you? As though I am the one who did something wrong by asking him to respect our marriage?

Anyway. Last night I know he was awake while I was quietly crying. I don't know what he is thinking right now.

I keep thinking about taking the kids to a rental on a beach somewhere. My car is big enough to pack food, etc. so we wouldn't need contact with anyone but gas pumps. They are elearning anyway. 

I'm considering telling him he needs to get help, to leave and let him think about it for a week while we would be gone, and then to come back and see what he says.

I just don't know if I can go back to doing EVERYTHING all over again, with the added stress of kids here all day elearning, not being able to really go anywhere due to Covid, not knowing anyone here, and trying to remember everything BPD so I don't keep screwing up. And I keep screwing up.

He sent a text already this morning (I chose to ignore it for 45 minutes). He wrote:

I love you. I do.

Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

This isn't what love is supposed to be. At least, it doesn't feel like this is the way it should be. But if I leave, what would that mean for him? His future?

I just don't know if an ultimatum is the right step either.

He has listened to me in the past. He really has. Sometimes I feel like if I can just catch him at the right time...but I no longer know when the "right time" to talk about a mental illness is!

I just miss talking and laughing in the dark before bed so much.

I don't feel like I have much in the way of options.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2020, 08:13:28 AM »

So...you obviously are willing to go to great lengths to give this relationship a chance.

I would encourage you to get the release signed and speak to his therapist.  Make sure (we can help) that you have a couple succinct things to say and/or perhaps a few things you are not understanding that he is trying to communicate.

Then...speak with therapist and get her point of view.

Have a few questions about what the therapist thinks might be possible as far as "growth" or "getting better".

There are lots of other issues swirling around here...but I think it best to focus on this one thing.

What do you think?

Best,

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest