Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 05:49:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hell on this earth  (Read 368 times)
tihg
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« on: September 22, 2020, 10:15:23 AM »

Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)
Our 21 year old daughter has bpd.  Life is so hard around here. I am the mom and at the brunt of all of her problems. She has two different therapists to deal with her issues.
She is horrible to me.
I am drained, sad, and scared for today.
Every single day is a mess.
I need some encouragement.
Please help.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Huat

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 11:17:06 AM »

Hello Tihg...and welcome.

Yep, dealing with these troubled individuals who share our lives can indeed be "hell on this earth."  Pretty well everyone here is nodding their heads.

I, too, am a Mom.  I, too, am seen by my daughter as being the reason for all her problems.  It can be very difficult for us to carry the guilt that can come from those accusations.   It can be very difficult to ward off the verbal abuse that comes our way.  That has to change...and the change...the work...has to be done by us.

You really are ahead of the game in that your daughter is seeing therapists.  Mind you, there are therapists and then there are therapists.  Are you included in any of her therapies?  Have you, yourself, sought out therapy for yourself...better armed yourself to deal with her behaviours?

So now back to you. You say that you need encouragement and that, Tigh, you will get here.  Share as much or as little as you want.  What is the history you share with your daughter?  What is happening with her now?  For me, being able to put my fingers on the keyboard, pour out my heart and my hurts...then getting those words of encouragement from others...has been therapeutic.  Hope it will be the same for you, too.

It is important to do your homework.  Time-consuming?  Yes...but you will reap benefits.  This website abounds with information on how to start making those little changes that could well bring on better days.   First and foremost this is all about...YOU...your well-being.   Getting yourself back on track will be a slow progress but once you get a taste of being more empowered in standing up for yourself, you will strive for more.

From one Mom to another...I do encourage you on and send along some ((HUGS) Virtual hug (click to insert in post).   

Huat

runtex

Relationship status: living together

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 08:19:03 PM »

I feel the same way. My daughter does not speak to me for long periods of time (I'm afraid it will be forever). I think therapy is helpful and I have read some of the books suggested. It definitely makes me more sympathetic to her struggles. I hear DBT is the way to go for BPD.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest