Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 06:57:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife has BPD  (Read 358 times)
MickeyMouse11
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: November 11, 2020, 10:15:22 PM »

Hey gang,

I’m new here. I’m a counselor and I’ve come to the realization that my wife has BPD. The first sign of this was when she lashed out and insulted me over text when I decided to help my mom go through pictures of my aunt who passed away two days prior rather than go take care of her (she lived an hour away) when she was feeling really upset about something. When I eventually got to her later that night she ran outside crying saying “I didn’t mean any of it”. This type of behavior has continued for the nearly 3 years we’ve been together. She’s even been physically violent with me and verbally abusive a lot but she apologizes for it nearly every time and says she will try to work on it. The problem is she refuses to attend counseling services (ironic because I’m a counselor) due to people telling her she needed it when she was young and basically her whole life so she could learn assertive training. Her BPD was really brought out in our relationship (fear of abandonment). I’m empathetic with her situation because 1. I understand how difficult this is on her and 2. I’m not going to give up on her because I love her, I’m not going to abandon her. We are married and I made a commitment knowing this was a problem and knowing it would get worse before it gets better.

I’m curious if anyone else is in a similar situation and could help me with easing her into counseling? Every time I brought it up in the past she took it as a harsh insult even when I brought it up calmly and casually, it triggers her rage instantly...so I just feel stuck and lost not knowing what to do. What are some things I can do as her spouse to make this easier for her?
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 10:54:21 PM »

hi MickeyMouse11, and Welcome

Excerpt
What are some things I can do as her spouse to make this easier for her?

shortly and simply, you can educate yourself, on the disorder, on how you can support her, and how you can support yourself. the lessons at the top of the board are a great place to start. it gets better; none of us are born with the skills to deal with bpd traits, but we can master them, and it can make a real difference.

how long ago was the physical violence? what happened?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
MickeyMouse11
Fewer than 3 Posts

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 06:39:40 AM »

The physical violence was within the last 3 months, multiple times. She will get so mad so quickly and when I try to calm her down she gets more mad (usually because I don’t say anything in response to her insults) and she will scream at the top of her lungs and then hit me, slap me, kick me, etc. she’s spit in my face a few times as well. It doesn’t hurt physically at all, she’s very tiny and I can protect myself without harming her. I will never and would never hurt her verbally or physically, I just stand there in silence normally, which only makes things worse.
NonBP73

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 07:44:42 AM »

This is so hard. I've been dealing with something almost the same for over 15 years.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest